Windows 10: Partition after windows 10 upgrade

Discus and support Partition after windows 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After I upgraded to Windows 10 I noticed it created another hidden partition. I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate 64 to Win 10 Pro 64. Originally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DrSysop, Sep 14, 2015.

1. DrSysop Win User

Partition after windows 10 upgrade

After I upgraded to Windows 10 I noticed it created another hidden partition.
    I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate 64 to Win 10 Pro 64.
    Originally Windows 7 had a 100mb System Reserved now it's showing a unnamed 456mb partition.
    Do I need to keep these? Seems Strange.

I have another PC i clean installed Windows 10 only made the 450mb unnamed partition not the 100mb one. Seems no need for that one? I wanted to go back to 7 but was over the 30 days seems it all deleted to go back *Sad

:)

DrSysop, Sep 14, 2015
  2. andyl_991 Win User

What will happen to the recovery partition after upgrading to Windows 10?

Original Title: recovery partition

what happens to the recovery partition after upgrade to windows 10

andyl_991, Sep 14, 2015
  3. Question regarding free upgrade to Win 10

No, it will not destroy the recovery partition or change its contents. If you bought the computer with Windows 7 preinstalled the recovery partition still contains the manufacturer's copy of Windows 7 and the manufacturer's utilities after you upgrade to
    Windows 10. A Windows 10 upgrade never touches that.

Are thinking of the windows.old folder that has been the subject of discussion after the Fall Update? What Windows 10 removes after 30 days is the windows.old folder that it makes when you upgrade. That has nothing to do with a recovery partition.

Cbarnhorst, Sep 14, 2015
  4. Word Man Win User

Type this at an elevated (admin) command prompt: reagentc /info

Does it say the Windows RE is on partition 3?

That's for Windows Recovery and reset handling - you may not want to unknowingly get rid of it.

The 100 MB one is your bootloader and I don't think you want to lose that either.

Word Man, Sep 14, 2015
  5. DrSysop Win User
    Partition after windows 10 upgrade [​IMG]
    this what it says

DrSysop, Sep 14, 2015
  6. WhyMe Win User
    You can go back to Win7 any time you like without restriction. You just can't use the MS rollback feature to facilitate the procedure. Just clean install Win7 straight back on to your device if you want! *Smile

WhyMe, Sep 14, 2015
  7. DrSysop Win User
    Yes I not want to delete everything & start over. I still have the 7 CD but I can't uninstall now it's gone. I remember seeing a folder called windows.old but I also remember seeing a message you can roll back to 7 in the first 30 days. It's been 37 now so I just live with 10 until i am ready to format PC. Just these Blue Screens errors from time to time & all these errors in the event viewer just annoys me. Seems Windows 10 not good on older PC.

DrSysop, Sep 14, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

Please read the stuff in my signature (for future reference)

WhyMe, Sep 14, 2015
  9. DrSysop Win User
    Yes OK thanks I will next time as I didn't make a image of Windows 7.

DrSysop, Sep 14, 2015
  10. Word Man Win User
    So I think you can see why you don't want to delete any of the 2 smaller partitions. IF you did a clean install on this machine, you'll likely get the same partition layout and you probably don't want to do that any more than you want to do a Win 7 clean install - I believe this one is a GPT laid out disk and uses a UEFI BOOT. Your other machine with 1 less partition is likely am MBR laid out disk with a legacy boot.

It could be a clean install of Win 10 on this machine would resolve the bugs. Short of that, however, maybe you could start another thread on addressing the blue screen errors and others in event viewer.

Word Man, Sep 14, 2015
  11. DrSysop Win User

DrSysop, Sep 14, 2015
  12. Word Man Win User
    I believe it should have those two hidden partitions and I wouldn't mess with them.

Word Man, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Partition after windows 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Partition upgrade

2. Why does upgrading to Windows 11 remove the E: drive partition ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does upgrading to Windows 11 remove the E: drive partition ?: On two separate machines - after upgrading from Windows 10 latest version to Windows 11, the E: drive partition was removed.First time, I thought it was a fluke, otherwise I would have backed up files I needed from that partition.Second machine, after upgrading to Windows 11...
  3. Why does upgrading to Windows 11 remove the E: drive partition ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does upgrading to Windows 11 remove the E: drive partition ?: On two separate machines - after upgrading from Windows 10 latest version to Windows 11, the E: drive partition was removed.First time, I thought it was a fluke, otherwise I would have backed up files I needed from that partition.Second machine, after upgrading to Windows 11...
  4. Cannot update from windows 10 to 11: says couldn't upgrade the system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot update from windows 10 to 11: says couldn't upgrade the system reserved partition: The error code is 0cx1900201. How to remove this error?thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-update-from-windows-10-to-11-says-couldnt/a25c4c4d-b221-4e99-80fd-6a3bcee6c486
  5. Cannot update from windows 10 to 11: says couldn't upgrade the system reserved partition

Cannot update from windows 10 to 11: says couldn't upgrade the system reserved partition: The error code is 0cx1900201. How to remove this error?thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-update-from-windows-10-to-11-says-couldnt/a25c4c4d-b221-4e99-80fd-6a3bcee6c486
  6. Cannot update from windows 10 to 11: says couldn't upgrade the system reserved partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. If I accept the Windows 11 upgrade, will I be able to install on a separate partition and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If I accept the Windows 11 upgrade, will I be able to install on a separate partition and...: I know it's possible to upgrade and roll back within 10 days - but I'm not ready to lose my Windows 10 installation just yet, and I won't be ready to commit to Windows 11 after just 10 days.If I accept the upgrade to Windows 11, will I have the option to do a clean install on...
  8. If I accept the Windows 11 upgrade, will I be able to install on a separate partition and...

If I accept the Windows 11 upgrade, will I be able to install on a separate partition and...: I know it's possible to upgrade and roll back within 10 days - but I'm not ready to lose my Windows 10 installation just yet, and I won't be ready to commit to Windows 11 after just 10 days.If I accept the upgrade to Windows 11, will I have the option to do a clean install on...
  9. How can I rebuild SYSTEM Partition and convert from MBR to GPT before upgrading to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I rebuild SYSTEM Partition and convert from MBR to GPT before upgrading to Windows 11: I have spent a week trying to get my to where I could upgrade to Windows 11.I had crreated my windows 10 page file on a separate disk to avoid paging writes to my SSD drive. In doing so, I lost the drive where the page file was located. As it turned out, the SYSTEM partition...
  10. How can I rebuild SYSTEM Partition and convert from MBR to GPT before upgrading to Windows 11

How can I rebuild SYSTEM Partition and convert from MBR to GPT before upgrading to Windows 11: I have spent a week trying to get my to where I could upgrade to Windows 11.I had crreated my windows 10 page file on a separate disk to avoid paging writes to my SSD drive. In doing so, I lost the drive where the page file was located. As it turned out, the SYSTEM partition...