Windows 10: Partition an M.2 NVMe?

Discus and support Partition an M.2 NVMe? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Q1: Has anyone here partitioned a M.2 NVMe drive? Q2: What program did you use to do it? I'm playing with a new rig, just set it up, and fired up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TV2, Mar 1, 2019.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Partition an M.2 NVMe?

Q1: Has anyone here partitioned a M.2 NVMe drive?

Q2: What program did you use to do it?

I'm playing with a new rig, just set it up, and fired up Partition Wizard 9.1 free bootable and it does not see the drive. It sees my SATA HDD.
    The NVMe shows up in BIOS. It is raw, fresh install, nothing done to it yet, no Windows install yet (Bad RAM....Grrrr).

Once I install W10, and it formats the drive and creates it's own four partitions, do you think it will show up in PW then?

:)

2. pbftvt Win User

M.2 SATA to NVME clone: Windows 10 won't boot

Problem: Windows partition won't boot after cloning M.2 SATA drive to M.2 NVME. Simply returns to BIOS splash screen are restarts boot sequence.

Background: Cloning process was simple raw dd copy. Drive had EFI, Windows 10, and Linux partitions. Cloning preserved exact partition sequence, sizes, and UUIDs.

Linux partition needed minor tweaks to /etc/fstab due to the device names being different (/dev/nvme0n1px vs. /dev/sdax), but boots fine.

The disk is GPT, and I believe the original Windows 10 was UEFI - the Linux installation definitely was.

Boot sequence brings up Linux 'grub' menu first. Choosing the EFI partition then brings up Windows EFI boot menu. Fresh Windows install (see below) boots fine from here, old install fails.

Attempts at solution: I did a fresh Windows install in a spare partition and it boots fine. Using the new Windows installation, I've edited the BCD entry for my original Win 10 install. I have
    the correct BCD device, osdevice, and path.

Questions:

• What else needs to be done to make Windows boot again?
    • Are there any config file or registry changes that need to be made to account for the SATA to NVME move?
    • How do I see boot error messages for a UEFI boot failure? No errors displayed and no log files that I can find in Windows or EFI partitions...

pbftvt, Mar 1, 2019
  3. How to reinstall windows completely on an m.2 nvme drive

How to reinstall windows completely on an m.2 nvme drive

cclark4379, Mar 1, 2019
  4. worf105 Win User

Partition an M.2 NVMe?

NVMe M.2 SSD cooling

Thanks doorules, pparks1 and Cliff *Biggrin

Partition an M.2 NVMe? [​IMG]

Have still got one of these:

But no ideal place to position it to blow directly over the NVMe drive.

More images of Computer layout:

worf105, Mar 1, 2019
Thema:

Partition an M.2 NVMe?

1. Partition an M.2 NVMe? - Similar Threads - Partition NVMe

2. Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?: My laptop persistently fails to install an update as below: My research points to this being a problem with recovery partition. Investigating this I see I have two:So I can see that partition 5 is not in use and is a whopping 16 GB in size, but I am also puzzled that the...
  3. Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Failure to apply update due to recovery partition issue?: My laptop persistently fails to install an update as below: My research points to this being a problem with recovery partition. Investigating this I see I have two:So I can see that partition 5 is not in use and is a whopping 16 GB in size, but I am also puzzled that the...
  4. Windows doesn't boot after migrating from a SSD to Nvme. EFI partition is missing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows doesn't boot after migrating from a SSD to Nvme. EFI partition is missing?: hello,I upgraded my PC with a nvme drive and wanted to move my windows to it. Windows was on a normal SATA SSD drive C. And I also had a 1TB HDD installed. D & E. I installed the new nvme and assigned it F. Then I used Macrium Reflect software to clone the C drive SSD to new...
  5. Windows doesn't boot after migrating from a SSD to Nvme. EFI partition is missing?

Windows doesn't boot after migrating from a SSD to Nvme. EFI partition is missing?: hello,I upgraded my PC with a nvme drive and wanted to move my windows to it. Windows was on a normal SATA SSD drive C. And I also had a 1TB HDD installed. D & E. I installed the new nvme and assigned it F. Then I used Macrium Reflect software to clone the C drive SSD to new...
  6. Why can't I clone the EFI partition of my NVMe drive to a new NVme drivevia USB adapter on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I clone the EFI partition of my NVMe drive to a new NVme drivevia USB adapter on...: For the past couple of days, I have been trying to clone my Intel H10 Optane 512GB NVMe drive to my Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe via a USB to m.2 adapter. After trying to clone over the disk on programs such as EaseUS Partition Manager, Aoemei Partition Manager, and Macrium...
  7. Why can't I clone the EFI partition of my NVMe drive to a new NVme drivevia USB adapter on...

Why can't I clone the EFI partition of my NVMe drive to a new NVme drivevia USB adapter on...: For the past couple of days, I have been trying to clone my Intel H10 Optane 512GB NVMe drive to my Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe via a USB to m.2 adapter. After trying to clone over the disk on programs such as EaseUS Partition Manager, Aoemei Partition Manager, and Macrium...
  8. No Recovery Partition on cloned NVMe SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No Recovery Partition on cloned NVMe SSD: I have used Aomei Backupper to clone a Windows 10 Pro SATA3 SSD to a new NVMe M2 SSD. It went well and I now have a new boot drive but the cloning process did not copy over the Recovery Partition from the original SSD. Is that a problem? Thanks 179622
  9. Rearranging partition order on NVMe

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Rearranging partition order on NVMe: Hi everyone. Recently did a successful migration from SSD MBR to new NVMe GPT on a new UEFI motherboard using the amazing mbr2gpt command. Boots and operates fine. Trouble is, I am now stuck with partitions in the following order: MSR I think; C drive; then EFI; then a...
  10. Partitions or new "drives" on at 1TB NVMe SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partitions or new "drives" on at 1TB NVMe SSD?: Windows 10 V2004 Transferring from an older PC to a new computer that has a 1TB SSD. Windows 10 is installed on new PC. Can I (should I) create partitions or artificial "drive" letters or just folders to divide up the space for transfers? 166327

Users found this page by searching for:

1. patritioning nvme m.2

2. restoring nvme to 1 partition

3. do i need to partion nvme hard drive for windows