Windows 10: Partition changes - Worth doing?

Discus and support Partition changes - Worth doing? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am not very tech savvy, so I apologise for not knowing much about this. I recently fired up an old PC that I haven't used for a while. It is running... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by buzzbee, Jul 14, 2020.

1. buzzbee Win User

Partition changes - Worth doing?

I am not very tech savvy, so I apologise for not knowing much about this.

I recently fired up an old PC that I haven't used for a while. It is running very slow and I am trying various things to try to improve this. I have done the basics, like clean up the files I have stored, do a defrag and a disk clean up, change the size of the paging file, but there is something else I was considering. I don't know if it would help. I don't know if it would even be possible.

I previously divided my drive into three. I had the C drive (200GB) contains the Windows installation. My D (50GB) drive is where I store most files, other than music files, which I store on my L drive (50GB). I have attached a screenshot of the partitions

I have now moved all of my files, including music, onto a flash drive and was wondering if I can safely delete the partitions D and L and then expand the C drive. I have attached a screenshot of my drive partitions.

A couple of things I am not sure of. I have checked out a few YouTube videos. A couple of things they have said are that you can only do this with contiguous drives. Between my C and D drive, I show 511MB Healthy (Recovery) and a couple of the videos have said never to touch this. However, on all of the videos I have seen, this part has either been before or after all drives, not in the middle. Is this going to cause me a problem?

If I go ahead and do this, producing one larger C drive, is it likely to help with performance or would this just be a waste of my time?

Any help is appreciated

To save you going looking, I am running Windows 10 Home (Version 1803, build 17134.1345). My processor is an AMD Phenom 9150e 1.8GHz

:)

buzzbee, Jul 14, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jul 14, 2020
  3. Dia01 Win User
    Partition or multiple hard drives?

As the title suggests. Is it worth installing say a 36GB drive for the OS soley or partitioning an existing larger drive with either 2 or more partitions? I am currently running Vista 32bit and want to try out 64bit and am sick of reformatting the whole drive. Any suggestions?

Dia01, Jul 14, 2020
  4. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

1. Partition changes - Worth doing? - Similar Threads - Partition changes Worth

2. Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...: Is manually partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to manually partition a SSD at all? Or should I just let windows automatically partition only the ones that are needed?...
  3. Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...: Is manually partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to manually partition a SSD at all? Or should I just let windows automatically partition only the ones that are needed?...
  4. Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD...: Is partitioning a SSD of 237gb size worth it? Is there any real benefit to partition a SSD at all? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-partitioning-a-ssd-of-237gb-size-worth-it-is/fd6ca1da-6946-4235-b233-1e34fe20ba0d
  5. In a hibrid HD, it is worth creating a partition for programs and apps in the second hard...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In a hibrid HD, it is worth creating a partition for programs and apps in the second hard...: The problem is my C: drive is only 100 GB so is always FULL. I´m a expert about cleaning C: drive. I read this mentioned in a blog, but i dont want to format my D: drive and reinstall all again in a partition Z: for nothing.Obsv. D: drive is only 20% with all my files and...
  6. In a hibrid HD, it is worth creating a partition for programs and apps in the second hard...

In a hibrid HD, it is worth creating a partition for programs and apps in the second hard...: The problem is my C: drive is only 100 GB so is always FULL. I´m a expert about cleaning C: drive. I read this mentioned in a blog, but i dont want to format my D: drive and reinstall all again in a partition Z: for nothing.Obsv. D: drive is only 20% with all my files and...
  7. Partition changes - Worth doing?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition changes - Worth doing?: I am not very tech savvy, so I apologise for not knowing much about this. I recently fired up an old PC that I haven't used for a while. It is running very slow and I am trying various things to try to improve this. I have done the basics, like clean up the files I have...
  8. Is It Worth It?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Is It Worth It?: so, im a student, and i only have one machine which is my laptop, which is decent in performance, and has too much RAM (16 gigs), and in my previous machine, i was an insider, and so i would like to find out if it is worth it being an insider for windows 10, and if so, then...
  9. Python on Windows -- is it worth doing

Python on Windows -- is it worth doing: Hi there I like running python scripts on Linux -- I see that you can run python on windows Is it actually worth it -- the language seems easy and powerful (quite addictive - especially if your previous foray into any sort of programming was the old GW (or DOS) BASIC or...
  10. SSD worth it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD worth it?: I've had most types of hardware over the years but never had an SSD. Considering changing over now but unsure if worth the cost. Would be going with a 1 TB drive, either Samsung, Mushkin, or SanDisk. I have various software that should be able to do the move already so that...