Windows 10: Partition corrupted, Partition Recovery, Evo 850 SSD

Discus and support Partition corrupted, Partition Recovery, Evo 850 SSD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, my boot drive c: seems to be broken. Problems starts with a bluescreen. After the bluescreen, Windows 10 is not starting anymore. All windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Manni79, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Manni79 Win User

Partition corrupted, Partition Recovery, Evo 850 SSD

Hello,

my boot drive c: seems to be broken.

Problems starts with a bluescreen. After the bluescreen, Windows 10 is not starting anymore.
    All windows repair tools are not working, also "set back to recovery point" is not finding any recovery point.
    I tried chkdsk then, it shows some "segment unreadable".
    Also scf is not working. Also not working after running chkdsk. chkdsk also shows errors in 2nd run.

When I go to command line in windows repair tools I also can not change to c:, I get a message which says something like partition/drive can not be read.
    So I guess parttition (perhaps drive) is corrupted / needs fixes / or is broken.

- Drive: Samsung Evo 850 SSD
    - beside windows automatically made boot partition the whole drive c: has one data partition
    - Used Hardware Encryption with Bitlocker and have Recovery Key at hand if needed

What tools to you suggest to try to recover drive/partition c:?
    Any advises how I should continue?

Big thanks to everyone who helps at this problem!

:)

Manni79, Jul 31, 2020
  2. Josh_922 Win User

Win10 clean install on Samsung SSD 850 EVO

BLUF: SSD is not listed ubder "Where do you want to install Windows?"

Steps Complete:

1. I've create a Win10 bootable install usb.

2. I connect the new Samsung SSD 850 EVO via SATA.

3. I reboot PC and verify SSD is seen by the motherboard/BIOS

4. Begin Win10 install via usb.

5. Get to "Where do you want to install Windows?" and the SSD is not listed

Problems:

1. Samsung does not offer a driver for the 850 on their website

2. Cannot locate driver elsewhere

Unsuccessful Mitigations Steps Attempt:

A. Format & partition SSD via Windows Disk Management, then retried steps 1-5 above....same result

B. Clone existing HHD onto SSD via "Image for Windows" by TeraByte, then verified SSD contents via Windows Explorer....similar result

Can you please offer some advice on locating a driver for a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB drive? Or an alternative method?

Thank you

Josh_922, Jul 31, 2020
  3. Remove Recovery Partition and Go to Recovery Drive During HDD to SSD Upgrade

Thank you Sangeeta,

"delete the recovery partition as part of the cloning of the HDD to the SSD" The meaning of this quote is as follows:

The recovery partition on the HDD will NOT be copied onto the SSD. This differs from most other data on the HDD which will be copied over onto the SSD. The word cloning is used because the emphasis is on having a functioning system on the SSD that truly
    mimics the system that ran on the HDD. Just as a biological clone is the creation of an identical organism with the same behavior.

The specific SSD I have is a Samsung 850 EVO with 250 GB capacity. It comes with migration software. Further study on my part discovered the following from the migration software user guide "OEM Recovery partition created by the computer manufacturer as
    a factory setting will not be cloned". So, Samsung does not carry the recovery partition across to the SSD - just as I wanted.

So, the SSD won't have the 16 GB recovery partition that the HDD had. Incidentally, Acer documentation says that if a new drive is installed, the ability to go back to the "original build factory settings" will be lost. So, they anticipated the loss if
    the drive was replaced. And this is fine by me since I do not want to go back to Windows 7.

The bottom line is that the SSD won't have the recovery partition; I need to create a recovery drive once I have upgraded to the SSD. (I think it is best to create the recovery drive after the SSD is installed since there are subtle differences between
    the SSD and HDD and the recovery tools should reflect the SSD.)

Edmond Danta, Jul 31, 2020
  4. Anusha Win User

How To: Create recovery partition.

it worked when i copied all the files of the disk to the recovery partition i created, but i had to use WinPE tab to add the entry.

Type: WIM Image (Ramdisk)
    Name: Recovery
    Path: Z:\Sources\boot.wim
    and hit Add Entry
    I tried it in VirtualBox and it worked.
    At first, it would add a second "Windows 7" entry to the list, but when the installation is finished, the old one is deleted. (I formatted only C: partition)

Anusha, Jul 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Partition corrupted, Partition Recovery, Evo 850 SSD - Similar Threads - Partition corrupted Partition

2. SSD + HDD as Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD + HDD as Recovery Partition: Win 10 v 1909. I have never run into this before. An SSD with a 1tb HDD as recovery partition. Can someone tell me how this is done because I want to make 1tb hdd separate. New Lenovo 510A Thanks [img] 156079
  3. Corrupt Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Corrupt Recovery Partition: I have a Dell laptop, it came installed with support assist Software. I was trying to update the OEM windows recovery image (swm) but instead corrupted the partition. But I had made a copy of the partition using 'dd', now the support assist OS recovery option is again...
  4. Samsung SSD 850 Evo Performance

Samsung SSD 850 Evo Performance: I recently bought a Samsung SSD 850 Evo which i cannected to my MS Surface Pro 2 running Windows 10 Pro using a Type C usb Sabrent Cablrle. After formatting the drive i tried to invoke Rapid Mode but failed. The Magician software does not allow me to do so. I have downgraded...
  5. Locked Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Locked Samsung 850 EVO SSD: Hello! If this has been answered before, please point me to the appropriate thread. Last night we were checking old hardware in our Service Department long abandoned from our customers (more than 8 months). Among them there was a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD 2.5" SATA. I...
  6. Samsung SSD 850 EVO problems

Samsung SSD 850 EVO problems: Hi, I run the Samsung Magician, and in its System Information, stated AHCI Mode is Deactivated and SATA Interface is unable to be detected. How to resolve this, please help? Thank you guys! [img] 74257
  7. Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Samsung SSD 850 EVO: [img] About This Product Upgrade virtually every aspect of your computer’s performance with Samsung’s new 850 EVO, designed with state-of-the-art SSD advancements including 3D V-NAND technology. As the next generation beyond the bestselling 840 EVO, you’ll get the...
  8. cannot use recovery partition on new cloned samsung 850 pro ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    cannot use recovery partition on new cloned samsung 850 pro ssd: so i recently upgraded my hard drive to a new samsung 850 pro ssd 512 gb . i used the samsung migration software and it all went smooth , i checked the newly installed ssd in disk management and it shows that it copied all three partitions which are, 500mb healthy ( recovery...
  9. Recovery partitions on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery partitions on SSD: I purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 with a 120GB SSD and a 1TB hard disk. I have the OS on the SSD (C:\) together with the programs. So far I have installed Office 365 and little else. I have moved the data directories from C:\Users to the D: drive. The laptop came with no...
  10. Samsung SSD EVO 850 500GB

in Windows 10 Support
    Samsung SSD EVO 850 500GB: I have a Samsung SSD EVO 850 500GB and while I had been using it on my laptop with Windows 7 everything had been running ok even the Rapid mode, but when I updated to Windows 10, I am getting this error : Rapid mode is in inactive state due to system internal errors. Please...