Windows 10: Partition issue with Win10/Ubuntu dual-boot installation.

Discus and support Partition issue with Win10/Ubuntu dual-boot installation. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I was running Win7 and Ubuntu. Win7 suddenly refused to boot, so I deleted the partition with plans to uninstall. Win7 didn't like the drive anymore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by peckent, May 16, 2017.

1. peckent Win User

Partition issue with Win10/Ubuntu dual-boot installation.

I was running Win7 and Ubuntu. Win7 suddenly refused to boot, so I deleted the partition with plans to uninstall. Win7 didn't like the drive anymore (couldn't create or find system partition). I tried various attempts with diskpart to repair the bootsector and MBR, to no avail.

Eventually, I ended up with a brand new drive and a brand new Win10 DVD. But I got the same error trying to install to the same drive. So I took out the Ubuntu drive (and the failed Win7 drive), which finally allowed me to install. So I have a nice healthy Win10 installation and 2 SSDs on my desk.

1. Used to have Win7 which crapped out; should be blank (0 in all sectors) but probably has a messed up boot sector;

2. Has a perfectly functional ZorinOS installation (ZorinOS is basically Ubuntu-GNOME with some extras).

Questions:

1. is there any danger to my Windows installation putting the ZorinOS drive back into the machine now that Windows is running, given that it seemed to have been blocking the installation of Windows?

2. What about the blank one that may have a messed up boot sector (regarding danger to the healthy Windows drive)?

3. Would it be best to remove the windows drive and put the ZorinOS one in, make sure grub is working, and then put the windows drive back in?

4. Should I just boot up ZorinOS, grab my files, and then reformat/reinstall with all drives in?

:)

peckent, May 16, 2017
  2. ScrMj Win User

Installing Windows 10 alongside Ubuntu?

I have already made a reservation for Windows 10, but I'm wondering what'll happen to other partitions when it's time to install Windows 10?

I am currently dual-booting Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu 14.04 through GRUB2, and I fear the installation of Windows 10 may wipe Ubuntu's partitions (I have Ubuntu installed through multiple partitions) and/or render it unbootable. I already expect the installation
    to wipe or replace GRUB2 to make Windows 10 boot by default, but I'm pretty sure that's fixable. However, I don't want it to delete Ubuntu as a whole, since I still need to use it for work, etc.

I'm already making backups of everything I need from Ubuntu in case anything goes wrong, but I still need to ask. How will the installation work on a machine dual-booting Windows and Ubuntu?

ScrMj, May 16, 2017
  3. BSOD when pluging in a HDMI cabel (Windows 10 | Intel HD 620 | Lenovo T470)

Same issue here, DELL Latitude E7470 with dual boot Win10 - Ubuntu 16.04. Inter 620 Graphics. Works just fine with Ubuntu, crashes on Win10 when plugging the HDMI cable. Starting to see a pattern here?

tantabares, May 16, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

As long as you are using the BIOS or UEFI boot menu to select which drive to boot from and not trying to set up a multi-boot menu on one of the drives, installing the other drives should not affect the Windows drive.

NavyLCDR, May 16, 2017
Thema:

1. Partition issue with Win10/Ubuntu dual-boot installation. - Similar Threads - Partition issue Win10

2. hard disk partition problem after installing Ubuntu dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard disk partition problem after installing Ubuntu dual boot: This happened after installing the Ubuntu dual boot. Since both OSs Windows and Ubuntu worked fine I did not do anything to fix it, but today the S drive, which was the same drive that Ubuntu was installed on, was removed. Is there any other way to fix it except for...
  3. hard disk partition problem after installing Ubuntu dual boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hard disk partition problem after installing Ubuntu dual boot: This happened after installing the Ubuntu dual boot. Since both OSs Windows and Ubuntu worked fine I did not do anything to fix it, but today the S drive, which was the same drive that Ubuntu was installed on, was removed. Is there any other way to fix it except for...
  4. Dual Boot. Best Workflow with Win10 and Ubuntu on one SSD? Reinstall, partitioning and...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot. Best Workflow with Win10 and Ubuntu on one SSD? Reinstall, partitioning and...: Hello,i used a couple of month now Win10 Home and Ubuntu 20.04 with dual boot on one ssd partitioned 250gb each. Every Time i started my Notebook Grub Manager asked me what OS to start. Despite some Win10 Clock Issues - i had to sync the Win10 time on every startup - it...
  5. Dual Boot Ubuntu

Dual Boot Ubuntu: I am a software developer who has recently got some embedded systems work. The support community for the tools I will be using is built with the assumption of a Linux operating system. While for other types of work-loads, such as backend work, I have been happy with my...
  6. merging partitions after dual boot ubuntu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    merging partitions after dual boot ubuntu: after dual booting win and linıx icant merge two partittions and after this disclaimer it gives this error [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/merging-partitions-after-dual-boot-ubuntu/fd74f858-cb1f-418e-8ad3-b865fa8a4f22
  7. Win10 Install For Dual Boot Partition Problem

Win10 Install For Dual Boot Partition Problem: I'm trying to do a clean install of Win10 on my Win7 desktop using Unallocated Space on the HDD. I thought I could have up to 4 Primary partitions, but I get this error when I try to select it. Any ideas? 146516
  8. Dual boot with Ubuntu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual boot with Ubuntu: Hello, I wanted to dual boot with ubuntu on HDD while my windows is on SSD. Most tutorials I have seen usually show the option to select the OS they want to boot into when they start the computer. I was wondering if there is a way where I could always boot into windows...
  9. Setup dual-boot Ubuntu alongside Win10

Setup dual-boot Ubuntu alongside Win10: I've installed Kubuntu on my SSD. I can live boot the USB and see it installed there. However, No matter what I've tried I have not been able to boot the program from my SSD. There is a EFI partition. There is a ubuntu selection available in the boot menu. Selecting it has no...
  10. Dual Partition 'Lost' - win10 and Ubuntu 16.04

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dual Partition 'Lost' - win10 and Ubuntu 16.04: I had a dual boot on my DELL Latitude E550 (or something similar), running Ubuntu 16.04 as default and win10 as secondary. Upon bootup I could choose which partition to load. I prefer Linux. But there are a couple applications that are built for windows and work better on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. got ransomware reinstalled windows still get apc index mismatch crash need to know what to repair