Windows 10: Partition manager can't shrink

Discus and support Partition manager can't shrink in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm stumped. I want to shrink my Windows partition, which is 750GB and has over 450GB free. Disk management... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/adveran, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Partition manager can't shrink

I'm sure this has been asked before but I'm stumped. I want to shrink my Windows partition, which is 750GB and has over 450GB free. Disk management still says that the partition can be shrunk by 0 bytes.

I tried to clear my hard drive as much as possible, but can't remove any more files. I understand that this is because files are present at the start and at the end of the partition. But isn't there any way I can shrink it?

I also have Ubuntu installed on a different partition on the same drive. Can I try shrinking the windows partition from Ubuntu?

Thank you

submitted by /u/adveran
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/adveran, Jul 30, 2020

2. undo partition shrink

Hi,

If you accidentally shrink the volume of your SSD partition, there is an option to extend the volume as well. To extend the volume of your SSD partition, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the partition that you want to expand and click Extend Volume.
    • Select the amount of space that you want to extend.

Keep us in the loop with the result.

Gerard Qui, Jul 30, 2020
  3. qinada Win User
    undo partition shrink

Hi, disk management has limitations on the size of shrinking partition. Also extending partition with Disk Management, you must have unallocated space next to the partition which you need to expand. Otherwise, the button is grayed out.

I suggest you use a third party free disk partition manager to help you to
    extend the partition

qinada, Jul 30, 2020
  4. W1zzard Win User

Partition manager can't shrink

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

Partition manager can't shrink

1. Partition manager can't shrink - Similar Threads - Partition manager can't

2. Shrink D Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shrink D Partition: Hello, I am facing a problem with C disk. It has not enough space for my applications and I want to get some GB from D partition which it contains Page files and it is a Basic Data Partition. I have read many articles on the internet for this subject. A possible solution is...
  3. Shrink D Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shrink D Partition: Hello, I am facing a problem with C disk. It has not enough space for my applications and I want to get some GB from D partition which it contains Page files and it is a Basic Data Partition. I have read many articles on the internet for this subject. A possible solution is...
  4. Shrink 3 Partitions into 2?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Shrink 3 Partitions into 2?: Hello - I have a 2TB HDD and when it was set up there was an issue and the HDD was set up with 2 Partitions of 1TB each. I used the Shrink option on Part #2 to reduce its size but while I wanted to add it to Part 1 I was not offered that option and I ended up with Part #3...
  5. No option to shrink partition in Disk Management

No option to shrink partition in Disk Management: Hi, I've got a question about my Windows 10 Home laptop. I don't use it as much now but I thought about a scenario where I can install another copy of Windows 10 on a new partition (it's a 1tb SSD) to use as testing for Windows Insider builds - I've had a look around on this...
  6. Unable to shrink a partition

Unable to shrink a partition: I have a new SSD and am trying to install Windows Home from a USB drive. I can see in Disk Management several partitions that Windows created, but Windows fails to install due to error 0x8007025D. One suggestion from Microsoft is to reduce the partition to 125GB currently...
  7. Can't shrink SSD partition beyond certain size

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't shrink SSD partition beyond certain size: I'm trying to shrink the system partition on my SSD to dual boot but it says that the available shrink space size is 16281 MB. I already forced TRIM and ran Windows Cleanup but it's still stuck there Windows 10 20H2 178250
  8. Problem shrinking Windows partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem shrinking Windows partition: Hello, I have Windows (ver. 2004, build 19041.630) installed on an M.2 1TB SSD drive, and I want to copy and run it from a SATA 0.5TB SSD. So I'm trying to shrink the main windows partition (951GB total, 160GB used), but disk manager says it can't shrink below 487GB, which...
  9. W10 Partition shrinking/expanding

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 Partition shrinking/expanding: Recently expanded my 'System Reserved' partition in order to install W10 1903 release. However, expanded it by far too much, so now need to shrink and reallocate to may main Drive C . If I shrink, will the newly unallocated space automatically be placed next to my Drive C...
  10. macrium reflect shrink partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    macrium reflect shrink partition: I'm using macrium reflect free making images of my ssd and hdd together in one file. My ssd is 256 Gbyte.(one C: partition) If I install a new 250Gbyte ssd wiil the reflect restore process after drag and drop the c: partition from the old ssd to the new ssd in the restore...