Windows 10: Partition Manager Issue

Discus and support Partition Manager Issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Within Win 10's native partition manager, or a corresponding freeware, can I move unallocated space to a drive that it is not neighboring to it?.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CRAIG T.BARTH, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Partition Manager Issue

Within Win 10's native partition manager, or a corresponding freeware, can I move unallocated space to a drive that it is not neighboring to it?. Specifically, the unallocated is to the right of Drive D, and I want to move the space into drive C.

Can I move the unallocated or free space into D, then move it into C? I've tried exchanging drive letters on the screen, but that doesnt change their position.

Any other work arounds to get this done?

Thanks, Craig Barth, *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

:)

CRAIG T.BARTH, Aug 12, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Aug 12, 2020
  3. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Partition Manager Issue :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Aug 12, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

Partition Manager Issue

Help With Partition Management

If you really want your Windows to look like as if you do a fresh install and without losing what you currently have in C: Drive. Here's my suggestion:
    1. Make a complete backup image of your current HD including all partitions to an external HD using Macrium Reflect Free . Once done, disconnect all USB devices from the PC. Assuming now you only have one HD connected to the PC which you will be installing Windows.
      IMPORTANT: Also create a Macrium Rescue disk to boot from later on.
    2. Boot up your Windows installation USB/DVD. On the first screen, Hold SHIFT + F10 to open Command Windows then type:
      Diskpart
      select disk 0
      clean
      exit
    3. Click Next, Choose Custom, select the unallocated partition then click Next (Do not format), when asked for Product ID key, click on "Skip this step"/"Do it later". Continue the Installation.
    4. Once done. With the external HD connected, Reboot your PC with the Macrium Rescue disk, select the image that you created in step 1 as the Source.
    5. Select your current HD/SSD as Destination disk
    6. Restore only C: Drive to it. ie. overwrite the new C: Drive with your backup C: Drive.
      NOTE: See screen shot on how to perform this step
    7. Disconnect all the external devices. Reboot. Windows should perform a startup repair.

Once finish, you should end up with the partition scheme as follows:
    1. Recovery partition - 450MB
    2. EFI System partition - 100MB
    3. MSR Reserved partition - 16MB (Hidden from Disk Management but seen by Macrium or diskpart)
    4. Your old Windows C: Drive with all the installed software.

Screen shot: Click once on #1 (C: Drive), click "Delete Existing Partition" on #2, Click & Drag #3 and drop to #1. Click Next->Finish

Partition Manager Issue [​IMG]

topgundcp, Aug 12, 2020
Thema:

Partition Manager Issue

1. Partition Manager Issue - Similar Threads - Partition Manager Issue

2. Disk Management - Partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management - Partitions: Descobri que meu SSD de 1Tb diminuiu para 222 Gb.o que posso fazer? Posso juntar os volumes 1 e 3 ao 0 zero? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-management-partitions/8badfd33-7d4f-4f4b-96b6-be7c1d182fb1
  3. Disk Management - Partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management - Partitions: Descobri que meu SSD de 1Tb diminuiu para 222 Gb.o que posso fazer? Posso juntar os volumes 1 e 3 ao 0 zero? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-management-partitions/8badfd33-7d4f-4f4b-96b6-be7c1d182fb1
  4. Disk Management - Partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Partition Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition Issue: I recently installed a new M.2 drive that ive installed the OS onto, what ive since noticed via minitool partition wizard is that there is 3 other partitions along with the C Drive, are they all needed or can i merge hem into 1 drive? 176615
  6. Disk Management - Partitioning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management - Partitioning: Trying to partition my old HD to use for sys image storage for my new SSD. Allocation went fine but problems creating a volume. Using the defaults except for the drive letter when I go to finish I get a warning that I am trying to convert that drive from basic to dynamic and...
  7. Managing Partition

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Managing Partition: Hello All, After creating Backup with MR I noticed 3 partitions on machine, which I suspect was created when my old w 7 machine's settings and programs were migrated to my new W 10 (1090.41). Question: how do I delete no.3 partition and can I do it safely? Thank you 166194
  8. Recommendation for a partition manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recommendation for a partition manager: I recently upgraded a Dell XPS 8700 to Win10 and then downgraded back to Win7 because of compatibility with games. I'd like to delete the 21.18 GB recovery partition and add that space of the OS partition (Disk 2), SSD. The recovery partition is for Win8 its no longer needed....
  9. Help With Partition Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help With Partition Management: So, on my old computer, I always used to run out of space on my D drive. When I got my new windows 10 laptop, I wanted to make sure that didn't happen. So, when manually I partitioned out a D drive, I gave it half the storage on my computer. Fast forward a few months, and now...
  10. Help With Partition Management

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Help With Partition Management: My current disk allocation is seen in the attached pic. Somehow, after installation of 10 I ended up with this. [img] The highlighted partitions are all showing as being empty (100% free space), the circled partitions show 2 recovery partitions, and my primary boot/win...