Windows 10: Partition Managers fail after trying to re-size windows partition

Discus and support Partition Managers fail after trying to re-size windows partition in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hi folks with latest versions of Windows - if you try and re-size the windows partition from Within windows the system fails -- you used to be able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by jimbo45, Apr 30, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Partition Managers fail after trying to re-size windows partition

Hi folks
    with latest versions of Windows - if you try and re-size the windows partition from Within windows the system fails -- you used to be able to start the resize then windows would boot into the relevant partition manager in command mode and finish.

Now the re-boot just flashes up a message and exits.

If you need to re-size windows "C" partition now it seems you'll have to make a bootable version of a partition manager and do the whole thing from that program -- probably wiser to do it that way in any case.

AOMEI, Partition Magic etc all fail when you do it within windows. I simply use GPARTED these days from a bootable USB.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 30, 2019
  2. fredde Win User

Partition Sizes?

My new system has 2 150 g Raptors in Raid0. I normally keep the O/S on one partition, installed applications on another, and my paging file on another partition. With a volume size of 300 gigs, what would you suggest as far as partition sizes are concerned?

Thank-You. *Smile Partition Managers fail after trying to re-size windows partition :)*Smile Partition Managers fail after trying to re-size windows partition :)

fredde, Apr 30, 2019
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Apr 30, 2019
  4. Partition Managers fail after trying to re-size windows partition

Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Apr 30, 2019
Thema:

Partition Managers fail after trying to re-size windows partition

1. Partition Managers fail after trying to re-size windows partition - Similar Threads - Partition Managers fail

2. Partition Managers fail after trying to re-size windows partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition Managers fail after trying to re-size windows partition: Hi folks with latest versions of Windows - if you try and re-size the windows partition from Within windows the system fails -- you used to be able to start the resize then windows would boot into the relevant partition manager in command mode and finish. Now the re-boot...
  3. partitions in Macrium & Disk Management

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    partitions in Macrium & Disk Management: I've attached a photo showing my hard drive partitions from Macrium (after selecting "Create an image of the partitions required to backup and restore Windows") and also from Disk Management in Windows 10. 1) What is the 16MB Unformatted Primary partition in Macrium...
  4. Increasing Partition Size

Increasing Partition Size: I have a 1 Terabyte hard drive that contains 2 partitions. C: which has 906 GB free space and D: which has 7.65 GB free space. I want to extend D:. I shunk C: 200 GB and ended up with a third partition and found no way to extend d: into this free space. How do I extend...
  5. Increase partition size

Increase partition size: Had 8.1 then downloaded 10, unfortunately when I originally installed 8.1 I made my C partition too small and it's almost full all the time. Is there anyway to increase the size? Also I want to reset my PC right now since it's gotten extremely sluggish for some odd...
  6. Recommendation for a partition manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recommendation for a partition manager: I recently upgraded a Dell XPS 8700 to Win10 and then downgraded back to Win7 because of compatibility with games. I'd like to delete the 21.18 GB recovery partition and add that space of the OS partition (Disk 2), SSD. The recovery partition is for Win8 its no longer needed....
  7. Help With Partition Management

Help With Partition Management: So, on my old computer, I always used to run out of space on my D drive. When I got my new windows 10 laptop, I wanted to make sure that didn't happen. So, when manually I partitioned out a D drive, I gave it half the storage on my computer. Fast forward a few months, and now...
  8. Problem with booting after partition management

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with booting after partition management: Basically what I was doing is simply creating another partition for my hard drive, using Disk Management. The next thing I know: the program crashes completely, I just kill it with task manager. Then I restart a few hours later, and this is what I see: [img] I tried...
  9. Help With Partition Management

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Help With Partition Management: My current disk allocation is seen in the attached pic. Somehow, after installation of 10 I ended up with this. [img] The highlighted partitions are all showing as being empty (100% free space), the circled partitions show 2 recovery partitions, and my primary boot/win...
  10. Expanding SSD Partition Size

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Expanding SSD Partition Size: I have a Samsung 850 EVO 500g SSD that was originally made to house two partitions, C: and D:. I've migrated all my files from D: to another drive and have unallocated the D: drive. But now I'm having trouble allocating all the space now recovered from D: to the C:...