Windows 10: Partition Mess

Discus and support Partition Mess in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello all, So the other night I decided to do a clone of my laptop's hd as a back up using Macrium Reflect. However, it indicated that it couldn't do... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Gobae, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Gobae Win User

Partition Mess

Hello all,

So the other night I decided to do a clone of my laptop's hd as a back up using Macrium Reflect. However, it indicated that it couldn't do an MBR clone because it's limited to 3 partitions and my Source drive had 9!

Stunned I rebooted out of Kyhi's recovery usb and looked at Window's disk management tool. And sure enough I have this mess of partitions on my C: drive.

Partition Mess [​IMG]

FYI, this laptop (Dell Inspiron 5558) was originally upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10 via the free update option.

So, ultimately I'd like to get this partition mess under control so I can easily do backups; what is the best way to get this cleaned up?

Thanks!

:)

Gobae, Jul 8, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jul 8, 2019
  3. Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

Partition Mess partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, Jul 8, 2019
  4. Partition Mess

hard partition

Hi Prasad,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are trying to extend the Volume of Drives and create partitions from C: drive.

I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it helps you.

• Press Windows + R keys, type diskmgmt.msc hit
      enter.
    • Disk management will open. Right click on the C: drive
      below in the segments of the partitions.
    • Select Shrink Volume. Select the Amount of space
      you want to extend in MBs (1GB = 1024MB).
    • Follow the instruction and check if it creates a Unallocated Drive.
    Later after the Unallocated drive is created follow the below steps to crate a partition.

• Right click on the Unallocated drive and select
      New Simple Volume.
    • Select the Drive letter and follow the instructions and check if it
      creates a partition.
    • Follow the same to Create partition.
    Note: C: drive must be not less than 100GB if you are using a 1TB hard drive. partitions must not be more than 3 drives to have a better functioning of the system.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jul 8, 2019
Thema:

Partition Mess

1. Partition Mess - Similar Threads - Partition Mess

2. Recovering a partition accidentally messed up using repair-bde

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering a partition accidentally messed up using repair-bde: Hello,I accidentally cloned a BitLocker encrypted 4 TB external drive F: to a wrong 14 TB internal drive D: using repair-bde.Disk Management shows D: like Explorer does: the cloned 4 TB drive. However, it also says disk 1 is a healthy 13038.98 GB Basic Data Partition.diskpart...
  3. Recovering a partition accidentally messed up using repair-bde

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovering a partition accidentally messed up using repair-bde: Hello,I accidentally cloned a BitLocker encrypted 4 TB external drive F: to a wrong 14 TB internal drive D: using repair-bde.Disk Management shows D: like Explorer does: the cloned 4 TB drive. However, it also says disk 1 is a healthy 13038.98 GB Basic Data Partition.diskpart...
  4. Recovering a partition accidentally messed up using repair-bde

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering a partition accidentally messed up using repair-bde: Hello,Happy New Year! I accidentally cloned a BitLocker encrypted 4 TB external drive F: to a wrong 14 TB internal drive D: using repair-bde.Disk Management shows D: like Explorer does: the cloned 4 TB drive. However, it also says disk 1 is a healthy 13038.98 GB Basic Data...
  5. Recovering a partition accidentally messed up using repair-bde

Recovering a partition accidentally messed up using repair-bde: Hello,Happy New Year! I accidentally cloned a BitLocker encrypted 4 TB external drive F: to a wrong 14 TB internal drive D: using repair-bde.Disk Management shows D: like Explorer does: the cloned 4 TB drive. However, it also says disk 1 is a healthy 13038.98 GB Basic Data...
  6. Disk crash made my C: drive invisible and messed up partition info

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk crash made my C: drive invisible and messed up partition info: I have a 2TB SSD inside a Lenovo Carbon X1 Gen 9, running the December 2022 version of Windows 10. My 2TB is partitioned into the C: drive, about 450GB, and a number of other partitions that hold software, various personal and business files, music, etc. The computer has been...
  7. Disk crash made my C: drive invisible and messed up partition info

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk crash made my C: drive invisible and messed up partition info: I have a 2TB SSD inside a Lenovo Carbon X1 Gen 9, running the December 2022 version of Windows 10. My 2TB is partitioned into the C: drive, about 450GB, and a number of other partitions that hold software, various personal and business files, music, etc. The computer has been...
  8. Disk crash made my C: drive invisible and messed up partition info

9. I messed up making the partition during boot.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I messed up making the partition during boot.: I installed Windows 11 from USB and followed the instructions. But during the partition process of the installation, I forgot to allocate the space. Now I can't make any changes to the partition. All it shows is a grey unclickable surface when I try to allocate. I would like...
  10. I messed up making the partition during boot.

I messed up making the partition during boot.: I installed Windows 11 from USB and followed the instructions. But during the partition process of the installation, I forgot to allocate the space. Now I can't make any changes to the partition. All it shows is a grey unclickable surface when I try to allocate. I would like...