Windows 10: Partition on hard drive is Unallocated after transfer to new computer

Discus and support Partition on hard drive is Unallocated after transfer to new computer in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Recently purchased a new computer, moved my old 4 TB hard drive from my Windows 7 PC over to the new Win10 computer. New computer reads the first 2 TB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Julford, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Partition on hard drive is Unallocated after transfer to new computer

Recently purchased a new computer, moved my old 4 TB hard drive from my Windows 7 PC over to the new Win10 computer. New computer reads the first 2 TB partition on the hard drive fine, but the other 2 TB partition is missing on my This PC page and when I check the drive in Disk Management it is showing up as Unallocated. What would be the cause of this? Am I able to recover the partition, or should I try to extract the data from it using a third party software?

submitted by /u/Julford
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Julford, Nov 22, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 22, 2019
  3. hard partition

Hi Prasad,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are trying to extend the Volume of Drives and create partitions from C: drive.

I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it helps you.

• Press Windows + R keys, type diskmgmt.msc hit
      enter.
    • Disk management will open. Right click on the C: drive
      below in the segments of the partitions.
    • Select Shrink Volume. Select the Amount of space
      you want to extend in MBs (1GB = 1024MB).
    • Follow the instruction and check if it creates a Unallocated Drive.
    Later after the Unallocated drive is created follow the below steps to crate a partition.

• Right click on the Unallocated drive and select
      New Simple Volume.
    • Select the Drive letter and follow the instructions and check if it
      creates a partition.
    • Follow the same to Create partition.
    Note: C: drive must be not less than 100GB if you are using a 1TB hard drive. partitions must not be more than 3 drives to have a better functioning of the system.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Nov 22, 2019
  4. kristain Win User

Partition on hard drive is Unallocated after transfer to new computer

Partition My Hard Drive

1. Right click on the space listed as unallocated.
    2. At the menu that comes up, click on the New Partition option.
    3. You will now be presented with a wizard as to how you would like the partition to be created. At the first screen press Next.
    4. At the following screen, determine if you need a primary or extended partition. For more information about these partitions you can read our partition tutorial listed above. Most people will be fine selecting Primary Partition. Select Primary Partition and press Next.
    5. You will be prompted to type in how much of the unallocated space you would like used for the new partition. In my example, my unallocated space is 26.43 GB, so I can choose to make a partition of that entire amount of only use half and save the rest for another partition. Regardless, of what you decide, you need to enter a size in the Partition size in MB: field, or stick with the default size, and press the Next button.
    6. At the next screen, select the drive letter you would like assigned to it, or use the default one given. When done, press the Next button. The drive letter that you assign here will be how you access the partition later.
    7. For the most part you are advised to use the NTFS file system. If you need a file system that can be readable by older operating systems like DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME, then you should instead choose the FAT32 file system.
    8. Type a name in the Volume Label field that will be associated with this partition or leave it blank.
    9. Finally press the Next button and you will come to a summary screen. Review how the partition will be created, and if you are satisfied, press the Finish button to complete the creation and formatting of your new hard disk partition.

kristain, Nov 22, 2019
Thema:

Partition on hard drive is Unallocated after transfer to new computer

1. Partition on hard drive is Unallocated after transfer to new computer - Similar Threads - Partition hard drive

2. Unallocated Space on Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unallocated Space on Hard Drive: I had a disk failure caused by a failed UPS. Before I realised I had tried to repair Windows. The disk is 1Tb, I also had a 1Tb disk used for file storage but I think this is on the verge of failings although it can still be read.I purchased a 2Tb HDD and was able to clone...
  3. Transferring hard drive from failed computer to a new computer.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Transferring hard drive from failed computer to a new computer.: Dear Folks:I just finished my tax return, but before I could print it or file it online, the motherboard failed on my older desktop computer Win 10 Home OS.Is there some way for me to remove the hard drive NTFS formatting from the desktop computer and install it into a new...
  4. Transferring hard drive to new computer setup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring hard drive to new computer setup: I remember the last time I did this, back in 2015, taking the SSD out of the old computer and putting it into the new one....Windows just refused to boot, bluescreening over and over again, and I was forced to use a fresh installation. Does Windows still do that? I've heard...
  5. Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer Windows to new Hard Drive?: I have a laptop that came with Windows preinstalled. I recently bought a SSD to replace the HDD with, but I don't have any ability to clone the old hard drive to the new. I have all the files I need, but I don't want to have to buy Windows again. Is it possible to transfer...
  6. New partition killed hard drive

New partition killed hard drive: I'm trying to assist a lady via TeamViewer with her Win10 1909.18363.1082. The problem started after I generated a 529MB partition (D:) on her hard drive. It ran and completed as usual but after boot up a BIOS screen popped up (American Megatrends): "GPT header corruption has...
  7. Transfer OS to new hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transfer OS to new hard drive: Hello, I just ordered a new Seagate Barracuda 2tb HDD for my desktop and i was wondering how i could go about transferring my Windows 10 OS over along with some other software i have downloaded. I plan on combing my two hard drives into the new one, and trashing the...
  8. "Unallocated" hard drive

"Unallocated" hard drive: Hi I've got a hard drive that just completely stopped working. Removed it, and connected it to my laptop. It kept on asking if i wanted to format the drive., after tying everything i could, i gave up and formatted the hard drive. Everything went okay, and without any...
  9. Hard drive unallocated

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive unallocated: When i finished building my pc i installed windows 10 on my ssd and also i had installed a 2T hard drive. The computer in disk managment reads the hard drive as drive 0 and all of it is unallocated space. I have tried to assign it a letter in disk mangement but it wont let me...
  10. Raided hard drive unallocated

Raided hard drive unallocated: Hello ten forums does anyboby here can me how to fix my raided 2 hard drive without losing any data.. i encounter this. when i open my mycomputer i cannot read my hard drive and my raided drive in device manager was this. look at the picture 5%x Anybody here can...