Windows 10: Partition permissions

Discus and support Partition permissions in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all. I have a laptop and created a C partition with Windows and programs (and system, boot, etc) and a D partition with select user data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DankerLamb356, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Partition permissions

Hi all.

I have a laptop and created a C partition with Windows and programs (and system, boot, etc) and a D partition with select user data (Documents, Downloads, Videos, Music, etc) folders, and various other files and folders.

I wanted to change the default permissions on the D drive, particularly because Windows gave excessive access to my user profiles.

So, I logged in as administrator and gave SYSTEM and ADMINISTRATORS group (COMPUTER_NAME\ADMINISTRATORS) full control to the D partition as well as folders and files on it. It shows up as "Inherited" from NONE and "Applies To" "This Folder, Subfolders, and Files".

But when I try to open the D partition in Explorer, I get an error that it's inaccessible and access is denied. When I right-click to check Properties and then Security, I see a message "you must have read permissions to view the properties of this object. Click Advanced to continue".

When I click "Advanced" I have an option to click "Continue" to attempt the operation with Administrative permissions. And finally, when I click that it looks exactly how I think I want it.

Principals = "System" and "Computer_Name\Administrators", both "Access" = "Full Control", "Inherited" = "None", "Applies To" = "This folder, subfolders, and files"

When I check "Effective Access" for this account, I see all green checkboxes, limited by nothing.

So, 2 main questions:

1. Why can't I, using an account which is a member of the Administrators group, open the partition and view the folders, and files?
    2. What's the best way to set the correct permissions for users directory at D:\Users? The way I see it System and Admins should have all access to everything while users can additionally access their respective user directories and everything below.

Thanks a lot, community!

:)

DankerLamb356, Apr 14, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Apr 14, 2019
  3. No permissions

Hi,

I would suggest you to right click on the user's folder for your profile and check if the permissions shows as "read only'. If this is the case, it might be causing the issue. In this case, I would suggest you to go to C:\User folder, right click on the
    folder with your username and follow these steps:

• Open the properties of the main user profile folder where the files are located (such as Documents, Pictures, etc).
    • Go to the Security tab and click Advanced.
    • Check the box at the bottom of this window. It is labeled "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object" and then click Ok.
    This does a one-time action that replaces the security on all the files/subfolders. It’s one-time, so you won’t find that box checked if you peek at it later. Try these steps and let us know the results for further assistance.

Bennet Martin, Apr 14, 2019
  4. Partition permissions

Deleting Partitions

Hi Michy,

If you are unable to delete any partition except OS partition (Generally C drive) then it could be the permission issue. I would suggest you to run the below commands in order to take the full permission and then try and see if it helps.

First try to login with an Administrator account having full permission to make changes on the system.

• Press Windows key + X and select Command prompt (Admin) from the list. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click
      OK.
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    TAKEOWN /A /F C:

• Then try to run the next command.
    TAKEOWN /F C:

This will give both admin and your account full permissions to ALL files in the C: drive. Similarly if you want full permission of other drive like D then enter D in place of C in the above commands.

Do keep us updated.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, Apr 14, 2019
Thema:

Partition permissions

1. Partition permissions - Similar Threads - Partition permissions

2. After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data: Below is all the data from System Information, just the machine and the drives.Basically, I reinstalled Windows 10 on the SSD drive. It had two partitions that I had made, one for windows and one for programs that run faster from the SSD. I have two Seagate hard drives, one...
  3. After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data: Below is all the data from System Information, just the machine and the drives.Basically, I reinstalled Windows 10 on the SSD drive. It had two partitions that I had made, one for windows and one for programs that run faster from the SSD. I have two Seagate hard drives, one...
  4. How do i make a reserved system partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do i make a reserved system partition: How do i make a reserved system partition? i am trying to move my system partition in the same disk that have the boot partition disk 2 but i cant since my system file is on the same partition that have all my personal files volume L. Is there any way that i can separate the...
  5. How do i make a reserved system partition

How do i make a reserved system partition: How do i make a reserved system partition? i am trying to move my system partition in the same disk that have the boot partition disk 2 but i cant since my system file is on the same partition that have all my personal files volume L. Is there any way that i can separate the...
  6. How do i make a reserved system partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Lost permission to access file in D partition after reinstalling OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost permission to access file in D partition after reinstalling OS: Hi community,I’m having troubles in accessing my data on D partition, which seems to be partial encrypted. A lot of files, but not all, have a lock symbol next to its icon, after I reinstalled Windows 11 on my computer. To reinstall my Windows, I ran the ISO file directly,...
  8. Lost permission to access file in D partition after reinstalling OS

Lost permission to access file in D partition after reinstalling OS: Hi community,I’m having troubles in accessing my data on D partition, which seems to be partial encrypted. A lot of files, but not all, have a lock symbol next to its icon, after I reinstalled Windows 11 on my computer. To reinstall my Windows, I ran the ISO file directly,...
  9. I don't have permission to access a partition in my system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I don't have permission to access a partition in my system: One day I opened my computer and tried to access a partition on my system when i found this messageI've tried to access this partition from cmd as admin but I couldn't?Note: I don't know if this has something to do with this error but I dual boot Windows and Linux Note2: When...
  10. I accidentally locked a partition on my drive by changing 'users' permission to denied

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I accidentally locked a partition on my drive by changing 'users' permission to denied: I accidentally locked a partition on my drive by changing 'users' permission to denied, even though I didn't change the administrator permissions, it locked the drive and it is not accessible. Will it be accessible if I reinstall windows not keeping any data or is it locked...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. default permissions for partitions besides system

2. how to change permissions of files on my drive stick located on primary partition

3. windows 10 partition permissions