Windows 10: Partition Question - First UEFI system

Discus and support Partition Question - First UEFI system in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I just completed a clean install on my new Pavilion X360 laptop. I've been building computers and working in IT for 20 years, but I've come across... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DeaconFrost, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Partition Question - First UEFI system

So I just completed a clean install on my new Pavilion X360 laptop. I've been building computers and working in IT for 20 years, but I've come across something I haven't dealt with before.

I'm always used to using diskpart to set up my drives during the OS installs. I used the same process on this new computer, including the convert gpt option. I was able to partition my blank 840 EVO SSD and install Windows 10. I'm a little obsessive compulsive about partitions, where I like as few as possible. Normally, I would expect my drive to show two...C and D. This is what my SSD looks like now, and I believe one of the two unlabeled partitions is necessary. Is this true? Can I delete either one, or are they necessary and I should leave it be?

:)

DeaconFrost, Sep 9, 2015

2. Can't format flash drive to FAT32 in Windows 10

I tried the Free version of AOMEI Partition Assistant. It mis-reported my hard disk - The partitions with ext4 file systems were labeled as "unallocated".

My 4GB USB drive has a GPT and two partitions. The first is the UEFI System Partition and the second partition has a FAT32 file system.

Partition assistant reported my USB drive as 2 different drives.

RobertPearson_160, Sep 9, 2015
  3. No "Windows Boot Manager" entry of Boot Configuration of UEFI for Surface Pro 4

The only way I'm aware Windows Boot Manager will not set itself first to boot on a UEFI System is if it was installed in CSM or Legacy Mode. You can tell this in Disk Management by the presence of the legacy Active flag on System partition and lack of an
    EFI System partition, or type msinfo in Start search to look in System Information at BIOS mode.

Sometimes the settings in the UEFI firmware are sparse and the only determinative for UEFI install is if the installation media is booted as a UEFI device and all partitions deleted down to Unallocated Space to reset if necessary the disk formatting from
    MBR to GPT required for UEFI install.

The normal UEFI settings in BIOS are CSM, Legacy BIOS, UEFI, and under Boot Priority order. If you want to report back those settings choices we can help interpret them.

If the Windows Boot Manager was deleted from the list then you may need to Reset UEFI Firmware to Defaults using that choice wherever it appears - check all tabs.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Sep 9, 2015
  4. caperjack Win User

Partition Question - First UEFI system

they are necessary to the best of my knowledge ,,so just leave them be .
    1 is for win10 recovery if something goes wrong .and the other is ,see link
    efi 100meg partition .
    EFI system partition - Wikipedia

caperjack, Sep 9, 2015
  5. Ah, that's what I was referring to for the EFI partition. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it is necessary. Quite the change from the MBR drives I am used to. Thanks for the link.

DeaconFrost, Sep 9, 2015
  6. They are out of order compared to my systems. The hidden 450 MB Recovery partition is normally the first partition on the drive, then the System OS partition, then the hidden EFI, then the D: drive. I delete all but my Data drive/partition and let Windows create what it wants where it wants.

alphanumeric, Sep 9, 2015
  7. caperjack Win User
    it is a big change just getting use to it my self , good luck with the new setup ..

,wait till you need to change a dead hdd ,and the new bios wont let you [security reasons or something ],till you make all kinds of changes In the bios ,now that part still has me puzzled

caperjack, Sep 9, 2015
  8. Partition Question - First UEFI system

I cleared the drive in diskpart, then converted to gpt, then created the system partition in consecutive commands. Maybe creating the partition in the Windows setup would explain the different order?

DeaconFrost, Sep 9, 2015
  9. I swapped out the Spinner drive on my laptop (UEFI) for an SSD and didn't have to change any BIOS settings?

10. Yeah, I just do it via the Windows setup/custom install option.

11. Here you go some information about the default setup directly from Microsoft: (Also links to sample to automate setup.)

Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions

I personally, used a setup script to create a 100MB WinRE partition, 100MB EFI partition, everything else went to the Windows Partition. Did not create the "Microsoft Reserved Partition" in my setups.

logicearth, Sep 9, 2015
  12. caperjack Win User
    its happened to me on a few computer now ,one I have in front of me I got for nothing because the owner had it check and was told the motherboard was like dead ,it would not even turn on , but the power plug was not plugged all the way into the motherboard plus the hdd was dead ,

so I added a hdd that I had lying around ,and just got reboot to pick media device error message ,until I pulled the bios battery and got it back to defaults , it boot to win10 usb ,but showed no hardrive to pick to install to ,until I went into the bios and disable a bunch of things ,,

got it to work and installed windows ,went back and set bios to defaults and it would not boot again till I went in and made the changes again ,,

so left them at that and it is working now for about 2 weeks with those settings ,can remember what all[ at least 3 different ones ,, ] the settings were now.

caperjack, Sep 9, 2015
  13. Partition Question - First UEFI system

I don't know what to tell you Jack? I did the same swap on my wife's Acer laptop and didn't have to change any BIOS settings. Secure boot etc is enabled by default on both laptops. My 2 desktop PC's are just legacy BIOS. No problems installing Windows 8 or 10 on any of them. The only BIOS setting I change is boot order to do the install.

alphanumeric, Sep 10, 2015
  14. caperjack Win User
    Yeah weird for sure , I actually had 2 of the same acers at the same time ,and had to do it to both of them,
    2 weeks ago now ,,so I don't remember what changes I made ,but I will boot the one I still have with me ,later to see what it was ,,

caperjack, Sep 10, 2015
  15. caperjack Win User
    well i went into the bios and set it to defaults and it booted with out issue , last week it would not boot till I disabled a few item ,like launch csm to never ,and disable quiet boot ,, before I did that it would not boot to the usb , or even boot to windows after I installed ,, now it boots fine set to defaults . boots to desktop in 22 seconds .....who knows not I

caperjack, Sep 10, 2015
Thema:

Partition Question - First UEFI system

1. Partition Question - First UEFI system - Similar Threads - Partition Question UEFI

2. hypothetical question on imaging the system partition .

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    hypothetical question on imaging the system partition .: What exactly would happen if turned TimeFreeze on, installed an imaging program (or used a portable application) and hot imaged my system partition, saved the image to another non shadowed partition? 169157
  3. UEFI Question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI Question: I use Windows 10, i installed windows with UEFI, i need to install an os alongside windows, will windows 10 still boot after i change it from "UEFI" to "Legacy Support UEFI First"...
  4. Question concerning System Reserved Files partition.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question concerning System Reserved Files partition.: I installed Windows 10 on a new PC. In the installer dialog all disks were blank. I did choose drive "4", an NVME drive, for the system. Windows informed me that it will install some files in a hidden partition and ok, I thought it will put the "System reserved files" on the...
  5. Questions re: Expanding System Partition, Shrinking Windows Partition

Questions re: Expanding System Partition, Shrinking Windows Partition: Hello Everyone, Hopefully I'm not duplicating a thread I haven't found. I'm running Windows Home v. 1803, Build 17134.829 on a Lenovo IdeaPad laptop. Windows Update failed to install the July CU (KB4507435) for v. 1803 with error code 0x800f0922 (possible cause: too-small...
  6. Question on Seperate Partitions & System Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question on Seperate Partitions & System Image: Thanks to this site I am regular Macrium user for System Images. I have read here that it is a good idea to split your OS (C Drive) and your music/docs/videos (to say D Drive) into separate partions. This results in a faster System image to create and restore due to the...
  7. UEFI drive question?

UEFI drive question?: Hi All, Sorry but UEFI is all gobbledygook to me. I have 4 internal hard drives: 500Gb SSD (C Drive) 2 x internal 1TB SATA drives, and I've kept my old 250Gb SSD which used to have my operating system on, inside my computer for backups. I've disabled the 2 SATA drives,...
  8. System Reserved Partition Question

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    System Reserved Partition Question: My system reserved partition keeps expanding!! How do I limit the size? I have checked the forums and internets but not come up with a clear answer A few days ago MS disk image failed because there was not enough free space in the system image partition for the shadow...
  9. General UEFI Question

in Windows 10 Support
    General UEFI Question: UEFI is a real pain in my butt. I've done extensive reading. I understand (I think) secure boot. I've successfully made a UEFI boot usb windows install disk. I know how to get to access UEFI interface through Windows 8/8.1/10. What I can't find an answer to is how to get to...
  10. Boot Trouble, system partitions and UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Trouble, system partitions and UEFI: Hi, So I thought I'd sling a new disk in my system. And then the OS wasn't seeing it so instead of looking in disk manager I just swapped the cables for my D: drive and powered on. The boot config was missing and Win 10 wouldn't boot. Somehow my D: drive had been set as a...