Windows 10: Partition size mismatch between Windows disk explorer and diskpart

Discus and support Partition size mismatch between Windows disk explorer and diskpart in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Good day and happy new year. Whenever I create a partition (primary MBR) with diskpart (75GB appears as 74,9GB under Windows Explorer). Why is this?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by eLPuSHeR, Jan 2, 2019.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

Partition size mismatch between Windows disk explorer and diskpart

Good day and happy new year.

Whenever I create a partition (primary MBR) with diskpart (75GB appears as 74,9GB under Windows Explorer).

Why is this?

Command used was create partition primary size=76800

:)

eLPuSHeR, Jan 2, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jan 2, 2019
  3. Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Jan 2, 2019
  4. Partition size mismatch between Windows disk explorer and diskpart

Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Partition size mismatch between Windows disk explorer and diskpart :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Jan 2, 2019
Thema:

Partition size mismatch between Windows disk explorer and diskpart

1. Partition size mismatch between Windows disk explorer and diskpart - Similar Threads - Partition size mismatch

2. architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application: I am running Office 2010 on a new Windows 11 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. I have a classic asp application which connects to Access databases. I've used the 32-bit ODBC data source manager the one in SysWOW64 to create DSNs but get the error 'The specified...
  3. architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    architecture mismatch between the Driver and Application: I am running Office 2010 on a new Windows 11 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor. I have a classic asp application which connects to Access databases. I've used the 32-bit ODBC data source manager the one in SysWOW64 to create DSNs but get the error 'The specified...
  4. Diskpart inactive makes the partition not visible in explorer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Diskpart inactive makes the partition not visible in explorer: Diskpart inactive makes the partition not visible in explorer so if i download more threats the pc is gonna survive the attacks if i dont format...
  5. What's the difference between Size and Size on Disk? Disk Partition showing wrong space...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What's the difference between Size and Size on Disk? Disk Partition showing wrong space...: [This question has been answered. Thanks to Carlo. Please Answer 1 more question that is below]My E drive Not a system drive is showing 4.61GB size. But, it's showing 4.62GB size on disk. What's the difference between these? Actually in another drive the difference is 3GB...
  6. Diskpart seems confused as to disk size - but only sometimes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Diskpart seems confused as to disk size - but only sometimes: Hello everyone, I've come across a weird problem that I'd like to share with you: under certain circumstances, Diskpart and some other programs don't report the correct capacity of a hard disk. The disk in question is a new 4 TB, or 3.64 TiB (3762 GiB), Seagate BarraCuda,...
  7. Unable to clone disk: disk contains mismatched GPT and MBR partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Unable to clone disk: disk contains mismatched GPT and MBR partition: Windows 10 is installed on machine and I need to clone the entire disk with Clonezilla. However, it gives an error as This disk contains mismatched GPT and MBR partition. It also says that I have to destroy the GPT partition table to be able to continue. How can I make...
  8. Cant create partition on disk, DISKPART gives CRC fault,

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cant create partition on disk, DISKPART gives CRC fault,: Hi all, I have a problem and hope you guys and girls can help. I have a 2TB Western Digital drive. It somehow got corrupted and I am now trying to resolve the issue. easeUS data recovery wizard is already running for almost 24 hours and only did 8 percent of the disk. It...
  9. inconsistent partition info in disk manager / diskpart

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    inconsistent partition info in disk manager / diskpart: Hello Forum! I hope I can find a guru here, who can explain the "interesting" phenomena of different partition types (in disk manager it's actually listed in the "status" column) being displayed by disk manager vs diskpart. The setup: disk0 has 8 partitions (3 primary,...
  10. DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk: How to: DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk [img] Information Some time ago in another thread I promised a fellow Ten Forums member, esteemed geek and a good friend of mine Tony K to make him a custom DISKPART script when needed: My system at present is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. mismatch diskpart free space

2. explorer shows less space than disk management windows

3. mismatch disk manager and file explorer

4. windows 7 missmatch gpt mbr,
  5. windows 10 disk mismatch,
  6. diskpart shows different partition size than windows explorer,
  7. diskpart create partition mbr size,
  8. disk size mismatch disk management,
  9. windows disk size mismatch,
  10. windows 10 partition size capacity mistmatch