Windows 10: Partition structure issues.

Discus and support Partition structure issues. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have some questions about the meaning of the screenshot information below. First: What is the significance of " *: " ? I'm guessing it means a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kupuna, May 24, 2018.

1. Kupuna Win User

Partition structure issues.

I have some questions about the meaning of the screenshot information below.
    First: What is the significance of " *: " ? I'm guessing it means a partition without a drive letter.
    Second: What is the difference between an unallocated partition and a partition with data. How do I add data or extend the other partitions to incorporate it.?
    Finally: what is the meaning/use of that small partition between C: and the Unallocated chunk?
    I don't want to blunder too far into this boot drive without understanding where I'm headed.
    Thanks!

Partition structure issues. [​IMG]

:)

Kupuna, May 24, 2018

2. Windows 10 Partitions Structure

This answer provided no answers to the question. You are just passing the buck. If you don't know the details of the partition structure, at least provide links to a knowledgeable article.

SBurkholder, May 24, 2018

3. Windows 10 Partitions Structure

I've seen that there are many questions about Partitions Structure in Windows 10. As I've also the same questions, I've decided to post my own queries on that matter. Since these questions are difficult to answer (because they are quite complex), it would
    be better that they were answered by a Microsoft Tech.

I gather that the Windows 10 Partitions Structure (default) is the following:

Under BIOS/MBR mode: SYSTEM / WINDOWS / RECOVERY

Under UEFI/GPT mode: SYSTEM / MSR / WINDOWS / RECOVERY

Instead, the Windows 8/8.1 Partitions Structure (default) was:

Under BIOS/MBR mode: SYSTEM / WINDOWS

Under UEFI/GPT mode: WINDOWS RE TOOLS / SYSTEM / MSR / WINDOWS

1. First question: Is this correct?

2. Second: In my case, after upgrading to Windows 10 (from Windows 8.1), it appeared three partitions (BIOS): SYSTEM / WINDOWS / RECOVERY. Earlier, on my HD (with Windows 8.1, BOIS mode) there were only the two partitions indicated above: SYSTEM / WINDOWS.
    Is this correct? Why these changes from two (Windows 8/8.1) to three partitions (Windows 10)?

3. Third: I did the upgrade, and next a clean installation of Windows 10. That is, there were no possibility of revert to Windows 8.1. In this case, three partitions appeared. If I had done a clean installation of Windows 10 not upgrading (that is, from
    Windows 8.1) but from a Windows 10 DVD or CD with a new license (that is, from an installation completely new newly purchased), it would have appeared also three partitions?

4. Fourth: After doing the clean installation, one file appeared on C:\ It's a file called "Recovery.txt" (0 bytes). Can this file be deleted safely?

Thanks.

Xavier Gimeno Torrent, May 24, 2018
Thema:

Partition structure issues.

1. Partition structure issues. - Similar Threads - Partition structure issues

2. C Drive Partition Structure not right

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C Drive Partition Structure not right: Hi,After fresh install my drive C has no system reserved or recovery.See below.Any advice?Should I reinstall?Thanks,Nick. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-partition-structure-not-right/1b369352-f472-461e-ac4d-3be5a8952514
  3. C Drive Partition Structure not right

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C Drive Partition Structure not right: Hi,After fresh install my drive C has no system reserved or recovery.See below.Any advice?Should I reinstall?Thanks,Nick. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/c-drive-partition-structure-not-right/1b369352-f472-461e-ac4d-3be5a8952514
  4. C Drive Partition Structure not right

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Partition Issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition Issue: I recently installed a new M.2 drive that ive installed the OS onto, what ive since noticed via minitool partition wizard is that there is 3 other partitions along with the C Drive, are they all needed or can i merge hem into 1 drive? 176615
  6. recovery partition issue

recovery partition issue: after downloaded a new windows version my recovery partition damage any way to roster it back ?[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-partition-issue/ffd71751-8010-463a-a41c-525f9d4e6e65
  7. Strange Partition Structure and Wasted Space Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange Partition Structure and Wasted Space Windows 10: Hi, I have a problem with my C drive that shows multiple partitions and it has basically isolated 16gbs on to a separate block that I cannot use at the moment. How do I merge this wasted space into the main free disk space partition PLEASE? Thanks and have a great week....
  8. Partition Structure: Copy "Recovered" Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Partition Structure: Copy "Recovered" Files: This may not be especially clear. I am staring to grasp W10 partition structures, but my understanding is very basic. Suddenly I need to quickly advance my basic understanding of them. Today I received a "Recovery" disk with about 200 gigs of files from my old, crashed,...
  9. Partition merging issue

Partition merging issue: Hi there. Its my first time to write on any such forum hoping to get what I want. I have windows 10 64bit machine installed on. the windows drive C is has 29 GB space i want to increase the space. I want to take free space from 456 GB partition located on Disk 1 and to...
  10. Partition issue

Partition issue: Before i go about with my problem I need to ask if I am in the right forum wanting to get answers to my partition issue? No sense in wasting both our time right? 88888