Windows 10: Partition Wizard 10.1 Questions to experienced users

Discus and support Partition Wizard 10.1 Questions to experienced users in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a number of bootable Partition Wizard CDs from v9.1 and going back. I see that there is a new version - 10.1 - but it looks like there is no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by TV2, Mar 16, 2017.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Partition Wizard 10.1 Questions to experienced users

I have a number of bootable Partition Wizard CDs from v9.1 and going back.

I see that there is a new version - 10.1 - but it looks like there is no free version of the bootable CD. It seems you must buy a full version of the software to be able to create the boot CD.

Q1: Is this indeed the case now?

The reason I am looking at 10.1 is because I can't boot 9.1 in UEFI Mode without disabling SecureBoot and TPM.
    I can boot 9.1 from normal mode and PW opens fine.

Q2: Does it matter? If I can start the program from CD in non-UEFI mode, am I limited in what I can do (for basic disk management tasks - I'm not talking about advanced options not normally included in the free versions)

Q3: Are there any features of v10.1 that are must have, or special?

I've got a couple of brand new laptops to set up and I will be deleting recovery partitions and resizing OS partition.

:)

2. Accidentally Converted External Hard Drive to "ESD-USB"

If the drive was not formatted at all (including a 32gb installer partition which is normally created) but only Deleted and all appears at Unallocated Space, then there is a way to undelete the partitions which will restore them. See this tutorial for

Partition Wizard Partition Recovery Wizard - Video Help

There is both a video and written tutorial.

Note that the latest version of Free Partition Wizard does not have this feature any longer but wants you to buy the Pro Version to use it.

But you can use the last version which had his feature for free, which I will loan you from here:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvYCo3R_p142we4SgAd0IYSJ0e3hwA

Download and install then carefully follow the above tutorials, both video and written. If you have any questions ask back.

Again: This only covers partitions that were deleted and have not been formatted at all. For deleted partitions it will undelete them if you do it correctly.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 16, 2017
  3. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 16, 2017
  4. Partition Wizard 10.1 Questions to experienced users

Yes - there is no bootable CD now with the Free Version of Partition Wizard.

The only feature that I would enjoy is the WinPE bootable media. Since the older versions always have used a Linux based system and didn't support my Wireless Mouse & Keyboard, I always had to rummage around and find my old wired Mouse & Keyboard before I could use it.

storageman, Mar 16, 2017
  5. topgundcp Win User
    For now. Nobody knows

You can almost do any basic operation in version 9
    No really except couple of new features but I don't think they apply to you. Below was copied from their website:

• Create, format, delete, copy, label, wipe exFAT partition, and more...
    • Copy MBR disk to GPT disk, including the system disk.
    • Convert system disk from MBR to GPT.
    • Copy system required partition only or copy the entire system disk.
    • Support HD resolution (4K, 5K).

Having said all that. My preference is to use Macrium Rescue disk even though it's an imaging software but it can also be used as a partition manager. It's always a good idea to make a backup copy before messing around with partitions and Macrium provides that.
    Boot up Macrium disk and use the backup image to re-arrange, copy, resize, swap, convert from/to MBR or GPT partition(s) and IMO, it's faster than using the partition manager.

topgundcp, Mar 16, 2017
  6. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Mar 17, 2017
  7. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Thanks for the pointers folks.

I'm making a full disk image with Acronis, of the out-of-the-box system, now. Will not screw with the partitioning and customizing until that is done.

I will probably just use my 9.1 disk for now. I have an Easeus 10.1 disk for higher level disk chores. I'm just very comfortable with PW - like an old pair of jeans.

8. TV2
    TV2 Win User

Just an FYI in case anyone is interested:

I can boot my Partition Wizard 9.1 bootable CD on a UEFI system by going into BIOS Settings and Enabling CSM (Compatibility Support Module).

Upon saving changes and exiting you can immediately hit the Boot Menu key and you will have 2 options for CD-ROM, a UEFI one and a Legacy one. Choose the Legacy CD-ROM and the disk will start right up like usual.

Don't forget to change the CSM back to disabled after, or the OS will not start.

It's an annoying extra step, but keeps an old program useful.

Thema:

1. Partition Wizard 10.1 Questions to experienced users - Similar Threads - Partition Wizard Questions

2. MiniTool Partition Wizard v12.3 Question Re Cloning of OS Drive.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    MiniTool Partition Wizard v12.3 Question Re Cloning of OS Drive.: Am hoping someone who is experienced with MiniTool Partition Wizard can answer questions below about this program which I want to use for cloning of OS C drive. Please look at each point and indicate if my understanding is correct/incorrect and answer questions if poss. 1. It...
  3. Task Wizard Scheduling question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task Wizard Scheduling question: Hi everybody I have set up a scheduled task to shut down my computer every day in the middle of the night while on a Skype call with a significant other. I was wondering, does that damage my laptop in any way because the skype call is still ongoing when the command executes...
  4. Mini tool partition wizard

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Mini tool partition wizard: I have used the free version of Mini tool partition wizard for years, and it has performed flawlessly. Not any more, sadly, the new version is a shadow of its former self. Also I found when loading a fresh one there was malware included which Malwarebytes and WD both...
  5. BitLocker Wizard Question.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Wizard Question.: Hello, I'm trying to enable BitLocker encryption on a brand new Dell Latitude laptop, and I think I may be misunderstanding what BitLocker does. After navigating to BitLocker Manager, and selecting 'Enable BitLocker' for the C: drive, it asks me where I would like to save...
  6. Mini tool partition wizard a threat?

Mini tool partition wizard a threat?: I have Mini Tool Partition Wizard on all my pc's. When I opened the free version on this pc, it prompted me to update to the latest version which was not unexpected, and as I went through the update process which was exactly the same as updates in the past, Windows Security...
  7. MiniTool Partition Wizard 11.6 New Released : Spanish & Data Backup Added

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MiniTool Partition Wizard 11.6 New Released : Spanish & Data Backup Added: MiniTool Partition wizard 11.6 New Released, For the new version, it has added Spanish as an optional language. It can be installed online and provides the free backup software MiniTool ShadowMaker and updates the Data Recovery module to its latest build. Spanish Language...
  8. Mini-Tool Partition Wizard Riskware?

Mini-Tool Partition Wizard Riskware?: Mini tool is up to date and for the last 2-3 times I ran it, Malware Bytes is reporting Malicious Website, Cateroty:Riskware from them. False positive I hope. 117645
  9. New 1 user. Hi & a few questions....

in Windows 10 Support
    New 1 user. Hi & a few questions....: Hi all. New 10 user here. I normally use Windows 7 and my back up is a Windows 10. 7 is being repaired. My bottom search bar isn't working. The one on the bottom left. My bar at the top and the taskbar have suddenly got really small. Can't remember pressing...
  10. Partition Wizard MBR to GPT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partition Wizard MBR to GPT: Hi, Attempting to convert a Win 10 64bit installation from MBR to GPT on a Dell E6410 using PartitionWizardPro v10 on a bootable USB. I have ended up with a system which will not boot. I have not used this software before and feel a bit out of my depth here. Before...