Windows 10: Partition Wizard MBR to GPT

Discus and support Partition Wizard MBR to GPT in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, Attempting to convert a Win 10 64bit installation from MBR to GPT on a Dell E6410 using PartitionWizardPro v10 on a bootable USB. I have ended... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by keithjr, Apr 13, 2017.

1. keithjr Win User

Partition Wizard MBR to GPT

Hi,

Attempting to convert a Win 10 64bit installation from MBR to GPT on a Dell E6410 using PartitionWizardPro v10 on a bootable USB. I have ended up with a system which will not boot. I have not used this software before and feel a bit out of my depth here.

Before starting, I made a system image using Macrium, so I should be able to get back where I started *Shock

However, the conversion seemed to run ok, and yes,I then set the BIOS to UEFI. What I do notice is that the setup I have ended up with puts C: to the System Reserved partition which looks wrong to me!

What I have is:

C: System Reserved 100MB GPT Data Partition
    D: (NTFS) 232 GB GPT Data Partition
    *: (FAT32) 200MB GPT EFI System
    F: (NTFS) 450MB GPT Recovery Partition

Any pointers gratefully received (in basic language please) *Redface

:)

keithjr, Apr 13, 2017

2. I can not install windows 7 with windows 10

You need to convert the disk drive from GPT to MBR.

EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition (Free):

Free partition manager software to resize partitions - EaseUS Partition Master Free

How to create a bootable USB /Flash drive: Create a bootable USB drive partition manager to manage partitions.

ALL-IN-ONE partition software and the most convenient hard disk partition manager toolkit

Includes Partition Manager, Disk & Partition Copy Wizard and Partition Recovery Wizard on MBR and GUID partition table (GPT) disk under Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 and Windows Server 2000/2003/2008 (32 bit and 64 bit).

It allows users to Resize/Move Partition, Extend System Drive, Copy Disk & Partition, Merge Partition, Split Partition, Redistribute Free Space, Convert Dynamic Disk,
    Convert GPT Disk to MBR, Partition Recovery and much more.

User Guide:
    http://www.partition-tool.com/resource/GPT-disk-partition-manager/convert-gpt-disk-to-mbr-disk.htm

: http://www.pagestart.com

J W Stuart, Apr 13, 2017
  3. Jon-Stark Win User
    3TB Drive format windows 10 not working

This is because your hard disk is MBR disk, you can check it in Disk Management.
    which only supports 2 TB drive. so the only way to get your space backup is to convert your disk back to GPT disk. Disk management can only convert a disk to MBR when it is empty. Therefore, you need a third party software to

convert MBR to GPT on Windows 10
    without affecting the OS, such as AOMEI Partition Assistant.after installing this software, the Convert mBR/GPT wizard will guide you through the process. http://www.disk-partition.com/help/convert-gpt-mbr-disk.html

Jon-Stark, Apr 13, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

cereberus, Apr 13, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Boot the computer from your Macrium Reflect rescue drive. Under the restore menu is a utility to Fix Windows boot problems. Run that utility and see if that fixes your no-boot problem.

NavyLCDR, Apr 13, 2017
  6. keithjr Win User
    Not sure what 10563 installation usb is, but I used my bootable usb macrium drive, as I guessed thats what you meant.

I first used Partition wizard to remove the GPT partitions, then create MBR, as macrium couldnt see a disk to restore to.
    Managed then to restore my image, though it initially would not boot*Mad
    Using Macrium, I then fixed the boot problem (accepting all the options given) and am heaving a sigh of relief to see my desktop back!

Not having restored an image before, I would like to know why it initially failed. Did I miss something?

keithjr, Apr 13, 2017
  7. keithjr Win User
    Going back to my initial problem of why Partition Wizard conversion didnt work.......

I have just stumbled upon a link here "boot from UEFI firmware settings" which I was not aware of previously. Having done the conversion, I simply rebooted the laptop, entered BIOS and changed legacy to UEFI. Thats all I did. So I am wondering if I did what this link describes, would it have worked?

keithjr, Apr 13, 2017
  8. keithjr Win User

Another question I have regarding the suggested use of mbr2gpt is that option1, step3 uses "boot to UEFI firmware settings" link which states:

This only applies if Windows 10 was installed using UEFI, and not legacy BIOS (CSM).

My windows was installed as legacy (hence reason for doing this in the first place)!

Sorry for such questions, but I am a bit nervous due to past difficulties *Sad

keithjr, Apr 14, 2017
  9. Last week I converted MBR to GPT via Gdisk without data loss on drive D and then clean installed Windows 10 on drive C in UEFI mode.

Matthew Wai, Apr 14, 2017
  10. keithjr Win User
    My aim is to avoid a clean install of Win 10 plus re-install of user programs, so am hoping to do that with mbr2gpt when I can muster the confidence to try!

keithjr, Apr 14, 2017
  11. Anibor Win User
    It seems that the Partition Wizard procedure is incomplete, it doesn´t create the boot information in the EFI partition.

You can try to solve the boot problem with Macrium. From the bootable USB, go to Restore > Fix Boot Problems. You may need to run it twice.

Anibor, Apr 14, 2017
  12. keithjr Win User
    At the moment, I have restored the original MBR setup, so I am back where I started. So I have to decide on best way to try again. Either Partition Wizard Pro, or the mbr2gpt routine described earlier. Still have some unanswered questions on that one. See posts 5 & 6.

keithjr, Apr 14, 2017
  13. Anibor Win User

Just make the conversion with mbr2gpt and reboot.

The system may just boot, without doing any change in the firmware configuration.

If the system does not boot, reboot to the firmware setup and disable the CSM module or legacy mode. The UEFI or "UEFI only" boot mode should become enabled. It does not matter if Secure Boot is enabled or disabled. Save the configuration and reboot.

Anibor, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Partition Wizard MBR to GPT - Similar Threads - Partition Wizard MBR

2. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  3. MBR To GPT

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MBR To GPT: Hello there!I have installed Windows 11 with a weird way I found on Youtube.Although my system supports all the specifications to run Windows 11 and I am stuck at the secure boot thing.I activated Secure Boot from my motherboard and now I have to run MBR2GPT.EXE and an error...
  4. MBR to gpt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBR to gpt: Hello I hAd installed the window but I didn't know this will cause problems later on I installed the window in MBR but later on when I install linux in dual boot it cause problems So how I do convert mbr to gpt without loss of data and...
  5. No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT.

No Recovery Partition after clone, and MBR to GPT.: Hey fellas, Moving forward from this thread.....(just for reference.....Help with SSD boot drive change) Single boot drive MBR was cloned with Macrium to larger ssd and removed smaller ssd. Windows booted fine. MBR2GPT converted the new drive, but gave the...
  6. Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change MBR partition to GPT, OS and MBR on separate disks: I'm trying to convert my MBR partition (which is on an HDD) to a GPT-based boot record, but my OS install is on an SSD (i.e. a different drive than the MBR). I'm not exactly sure how this happened when I was installing Windows; I think the HDD was set as disk 0 while the SSD...
  7. MBR/GPT

MBR/GPT: How do I convert a MBR 7200 RPM HDD to GPT so I can install 64bit Win 10 Home? I have a 2014 HP All-in - One I had upgraded to an SSD - two years later it failed (about 3 weeks ago. I bought a new SSD - It was a 3D Nand(?) drive. It worked for 2 days. then started...
  8. mbr gpt partition help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    mbr gpt partition help: hello guys I need help, in windows 10 I converted the ssd disk with mbr partition to gpt using the mbr2gpt / convert command from cmd. Everything works perfect and windows works in uefi mode. but it turns out that I want to install on another partition of another hard drive...
  9. MBR or GPT ????

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MBR or GPT ????: hello, I had my 120GB SDD replaced by a 480GB one and made a clean install of win10 got an adapter to use the small SDD as an external backup disk I get a window demanding that I initialize the disk I do not have a clue what I should select...MBR or GPT ? *Huh I intend...
  10. GPT or MBR

GPT or MBR: Or MBR or GPT Asus laptop with 8.1 installed. One disk, 2 partitions. I've installed 10 a number of times, VM and dual boot on desktop. Went to install 10, dual boot. When I got to picking the partition, said "Cannot be installed, selected disk is of the MBR partition...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what is gpt partition

2. partition wizard error mbr to gpt

3. partition wizard fix mbr