Windows 10: Partitioned Drive Stopping Windows Update

Discus and support Partitioned Drive Stopping Windows Update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When I purchased my Windows 10 ThinkCentre it came with a partitioned drive with the opporating system installed on the 110 GB side and my D Drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Confused_Elizabeth, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Partitioned Drive Stopping Windows Update

When I purchased my Windows 10 ThinkCentre it came with a partitioned drive with the opporating system installed on the 110 GB side and my D Drive having 2.72 TB. It's been a struggle to try and get all my programs to install on the D drive instead of the C but I've been able to do it. But now, after having installed almost everything else onto the D drive I'm getting a message that my windows updates are not downloading and installing because there's not enough space on the C drive.

I've looked around, trying to figure out how to move space from one side of the partition to the other but nothing has worked.

What can I do?

:)

Confused_Elizabeth, Dec 18, 2019
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Dec 18, 2019
  3. Dia01 Win User
    Partition or multiple hard drives?

As the title suggests. Is it worth installing say a 36GB drive for the OS soley or partitioning an existing larger drive with either 2 or more partitions? I am currently running Vista 32bit and want to try out 64bit and am sick of reformatting the whole drive. Any suggestions?

Dia01, Dec 18, 2019
  4. FX-GMC Win User

Partitioned Drive Stopping Windows Update

Move Win7 64 image from a partition NTFS to a new drive

EDIT: After reading your first post again, is there any reason that you would now need GPT? Are you just trying to move the windows install to a new disk or is there a new motherboard involved?

If you are already booting to an NTFS partition, then it makes me wonder if after copying to the new drive, the partition isn't getting marked as Active.

Following the same steps I posted above for startup repair, you can get to a command prompt and use diskpart to see if this is the case.

Code: In the command prompt: diskpart list disk select disk 0 (disk number may be different if you have other disks connected.) list partition select partition 0 (partition number number may vary, but you want to see the boot partition which is the same as your windows partition according to the screenshot on the OP) detail partition (This should have Active: Yes or No. If it says no, since we have the partition selected, you can just use the following command in diskpart) active[/quote]

FX-GMC, Dec 18, 2019
Thema:

Partitioned Drive Stopping Windows Update

1. Partitioned Drive Stopping Windows Update - Similar Threads - Partitioned Drive Stopping

2. Windows stopped seeing a partition of a drive after the version 22H2 update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows stopped seeing a partition of a drive after the version 22H2 update: As in the title, I have 1 ssd drive in my laptop divided into 2 partitions. After booting up after the update Windows stopped recognising the second partition - the first one works fine, while the other one doesn't even show in Disk Management.Gotta admire Microsoft's ability...
  3. Windows stopped seeing a partition of a drive after the version 22H2 update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows stopped seeing a partition of a drive after the version 22H2 update: As in the title, I have 1 ssd drive in my laptop divided into 2 partitions. After booting up after the update Windows stopped recognising the second partition - the first one works fine, while the other one doesn't even show in Disk Management.Gotta admire Microsoft's ability...
  4. Windows stopped seeing a partition of a drive after the version 22H2 update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Drive partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive partitions: So windows corrupted on 1 of my drives and it auto changed to a format that can't hold windows and I can't change it back as the system boot partition is still on there and I can't delete it, with everything that I have used it comes up with an error, diskpart, the partition...
  6. Drive partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive partitions: So windows corrupted on 1 of my drives and it auto changed to a format that can't hold windows and I can't change it back as the system boot partition is still on there and I can't delete it, with everything that I have used it comes up with an error, diskpart, the partition...
  7. partition drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    partition drive: is there a windo store I can take my computer to get it fixed my prob is, my computer crashed but I was able to put it all on the partition drive, but I cant open it up so if I was able to take it to a store how much would it cost...
  8. Partitioning of Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Partitioning of Drive: I have only one partition or drive i.e. Drive C on my PC since I bought my PC about 1 1/2 years back. Did I need partitioning my drive after purchase of PC? If yes, can it be done now without deleting my files? My PC is running on Windows 10 Home and Office 365 is installed...
  9. Windows partition stopped working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows partition stopped working: Yes. I'm an idiot. I have 2 partitions (Fedora and Windows). The Fedora partition was running out of space, so I tried to shrink the Windows partition by using GParted. Now Windows is not working for me (blue screen). I tried the Startup repair and it didn't work for me. How...
  10. Drives Partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drives Partition: My friend installed windows on my laptop and he made partition too wrong. I want to give space to C dive less and other two drives more. How can I extend the partition without installing windows again?...