Windows 10: Partitioning disk space to install Ubuntu

Discus and support Partitioning disk space to install Ubuntu in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to partition disk space to install Ubuntu and I tried to use the disk management tool. However, it gives me the error message:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by K_074, Mar 24, 2020.

1. K_074 Win User

Partitioning disk space to install Ubuntu

Hello,

I am trying to partition disk space to install Ubuntu and I tried to use the disk management tool. However, it gives me the error message:

"You cannot shrink a volume beyond the point where any unmovable files are located. See the “defrag” event in the Application log for detailed information about the operation when it has completed."

Trying the advice on this website:

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/you-cannot-shrink-volume-beyond-point-disk-mgmt/

does not help.

Going to the Application log shows me that there is a problem with a C++ Redistibutable.

- The last unmovable file appears to be: \Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp\postgresql_installer_02a15c3dd9\vcredist_x64.exe::$DATA

- The last cluster of the file is: 0x39f38a5

- Shrink potential target LCN address: 0x2922823

- The NTFS file flags are: ----D

- Shrink phase: <analysis>

How can I partition my disk space to install ubuntu with this problem?

:)

K_074, Mar 24, 2020
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Mar 24, 2020
  3. Disk partition and ubuntu installation

My dell laptop is on dual-boot and i wish to extent the partition/ put it on SSD for Ubuntu and therefore, I deleted that partition but I'm not able to extent the original one(the D drive which i shrunk). There are several partitions on my disk which i believe
    are unnecessary but i don't know which ones should I delete. Please look into it.

Ayushi_Shakya, Mar 24, 2020
  4. Partitioning disk space to install Ubuntu

Win10 cannot recognize Ubuntu disk (partition)

I installed Win10 and Ubuntu on two M.2 socket SSDs respectively.

I am able to access Win10 disk in Ubuntu; however, I cannot access Ubuntu disk in Win10.

In "disk management", the Ubuntu disk is there, but upon right click only "Delete volume..." and "Help" are clickable. Moreover, the "File System" appears black, the "Status" is "healthy (primary partition) and % Free = 100%; that is to say, this disk is
    not recognized by Win10.

Then, how should I access files on Ubuntu disk while I am using Win10?

Thank you!

GenggongwoShi, Mar 24, 2020
Thema:

Partitioning disk space to install Ubuntu

1. Partitioning disk space to install Ubuntu - Similar Threads - Partitioning disk space

2. Disk space partition problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk space partition problem: I am getting warnings of low disk space and when I look in settings I have Disk 0 and Disk 1, with D-1 being nearly full and D-0 with 931 gigs of space and zero of it allocated. I have no idea how that happened but how do I handle this issue?...
  3. Disk space partition problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk space partition problem: I am getting warnings of low disk space and when I look in settings I have Disk 0 and Disk 1, with D-1 being nearly full and D-0 with 931 gigs of space and zero of it allocated. I have no idea how that happened but how do I handle this issue?...
  4. hard disk partition problem after installing Ubuntu dual boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard disk partition problem after installing Ubuntu dual boot: This happened after installing the Ubuntu dual boot. Since both OSs Windows and Ubuntu worked fine I did not do anything to fix it, but today the S drive, which was the same drive that Ubuntu was installed on, was removed. Is there any other way to fix it except for...
  5. hard disk partition problem after installing Ubuntu dual boot

hard disk partition problem after installing Ubuntu dual boot: This happened after installing the Ubuntu dual boot. Since both OSs Windows and Ubuntu worked fine I did not do anything to fix it, but today the S drive, which was the same drive that Ubuntu was installed on, was removed. Is there any other way to fix it except for...
  6. Disk Management partition free space

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management partition free space: Win 10 Pro, 21H2, fully up-to-date. Disk Management shows status of partitions 1, 4, 5, 6 and C: partition 3 on the 512GB SSD boot drive disk 1. It lists the capacity of the partitions, how much is Free Space, and % Free. For partitions 1, 4, 5, 6, it says their entire...
  7. Disk Management partition free space

Disk Management partition free space: Win 10 Pro, 21H2, fully up-to-date. Disk Management shows status of partitions 1, 4, 5, 6 and C: partition 3 on the 512GB SSD boot drive disk 1. It lists the capacity of the partitions, how much is Free Space, and % Free. For partitions 1, 4, 5, 6, it says their entire...
  8. Disk Partition showing wrong space.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Partition showing wrong space.: I have 292GB space in a disk partition Manual, not system. I have no backups and no malwares. Only 4.61GB is occupied by all files and hidden files combined. And the size on disk is 4.62 GB. What's the difference between this? In another partition the difference between size...
  9. Disk Partition Unallocated Space

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Partition Unallocated Space: [ATTACH]Hi team, I recently tried installing windows 7 and during installation, I got the message that Windows can't get installed on the selected disk due to MBR style. I converted the MBR style to GPT style by allocating 100Gb to selected Disk 0. Now after...
  10. Win10 cannot recognize Ubuntu disk (partition)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Win10 cannot recognize Ubuntu disk (partition): I installed Win10 and Ubuntu on two M.2 socket SSDs respectively. I am able to access Win10 disk in Ubuntu; however, I cannot access Ubuntu disk in Win10. In "disk management", the Ubuntu disk is there, but upon right click only "Delete volume..." and "Help" are...