Windows 10: Partitioning USB drive

Discus and support Partitioning USB drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is there anyway to partition a USB drive into 2 separate "drives" ? So i got a 128GB usb thumb drive, i can partition it into 2 64GB partitions,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by N00berG00ber, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Partitioning USB drive

Is there anyway to partition a USB drive into 2 separate "drives" ?

So i got a 128GB usb thumb drive, i can partition it into 2 64GB partitions, however, with the way android works, if i format it to work as internal and select one 64GB partition, android will format the entire 128GB drive and encrypt it so only my phone can use it. i can't plug it into any other computer and use the 2nd 64GB partition as normal storage. anyone know of a way around this? simply splitting into 2 partitions is not working. maybe something that fakes it being 2 separate drives all together so i can format the 1st one and have it work as internal storage?

:)

N00berG00ber, Nov 19, 2018
  2. mars Win User

Partition a USB Flash Drive

USB Partitioning

Do you know the technical part of it? How does the flipping of the removable happen? How can we partition a USB without using a 3rd party software? Can you suggest any programming language? and what algo should I use? thanks!

3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 19, 2018
  4. DirectorC Win User

Partitioning USB drive

Partition a USB Flash Drive

This is the scary stuff that happens when you use Google:

'USB flash drives cannot be partitioned in the Windows operating if the drive is identified as removable media. The only way to partition the USB flash drive is to flip the removable bit so that it is recognized as fixed media instead which can be partitioned like any normal hard drive'

Infoz/Appz:
    You searched for Boot It USB – Lancelhoff

Partition USB Flash Drives - gHacks Tech News

I got that from searching for 'partition flash drive'.

I should get paid for this.

DirectorC, Nov 19, 2018
Thema:

Partitioning USB drive

1. Partitioning USB drive - Similar Threads - Partitioning USB drive

2. External hard drive blocks USB drive partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive blocks USB drive partition: I've just got an external hard drive, and it works well with my PC, everything's good, except since I got it I can't use USB because it basically blocks it. I don't get any notifications nor does it show up in disk management, hardware manager, etc. I've already tried making...
  3. External hard drive blocks USB drive partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive blocks USB drive partition: I've just got an external hard drive, and it works well with my PC, everything's good, except since I got it I can't use USB because it basically blocks it. I don't get any notifications nor does it show up in disk management, hardware manager, etc. I've already tried making...
  4. External hard drive blocks USB drive partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Partition a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partition a USB Flash Drive: I followed :https://www.wikihow.com/Partition-a-Thumb-Drive - to partition USB Flash But I got an error in partitioining the second part , it says "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management Console view is not up-to-date" tried to refresh or restart but...
  6. Partition a USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partition a USB Flash Drive: I followed :https://www.wikihow.com/Partition-a-Thumb-Drive - to partition USB Flash But I got an error in partitioining the second part , it says "The operation failed to complete because the Disk Management Console view is not up-to-date" tried to refresh or restart but...
  7. how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions

how to format a USB drive with 2 partitions: I have a messed up usb drive. Earlier I had used it for formatting Windows OS meaning installation of Windows 10 via USB. Long time back . So some how it has 2 partitions now. I some how experimenting with diskpart have been able to get one partition back which was 7Gb. I...
  8. Formatting multiple partitions on a USB thumb drive

Formatting multiple partitions on a USB thumb drive: I have a 2TB thumb drive that I have created two partitions on. partition one is 31.25 GB and formatted as FAT32. partition two is 1921.87 GB and I cannot get it to format. I've tried formatting it as NTFS and exFAT and neither works. The Disk Management app reports:...
  9. Partitioning USB drive

Partitioning USB drive: Is there anyway to partition a USB drive into 2 separate "drives" ? So i got a 128GB usb thumb drive, i can partition it into 2 64GB partitions, however, with the way android works, if i format it to work as internal and select one 64GB partition, android will format the...
  10. Install from USB partitioned drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install from USB partitioned drive?: Hi guys, Wondering if anyone can tell me if this is doable. So I bought myself a 250gb m.2 sata ssd, and put it into the Silverstone MS09 m. 2 to USB enclosure to use as a USB thumb drive. My plan was to have a partition of around 10GB that I would use rufus to create a boot...