Windows 10: Partitions and Boot menu

Discus and support Partitions and Boot menu in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; What I would like to know does the bios create the boot menu and partitions or is it the operating system or a bit of both 136847 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lawnmower74, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Partitions and Boot menu

What I would like to know does the bios create the boot menu and partitions or is it the operating system or a bit of both

:)

lawnmower74, Jul 18, 2019
  2. rdwray Win User

Boot partition listed twice in boot menu

I have windows 7, 8 and 10 dual boot. I decided to set 7 as the boot drive after having 10 and when I did, the boot menu and MSConfig both list 7 twice on the same partition and I cannot find Boot.ini. How do I get rid of the second listing of 7 in the boot menu?

Partitions and Boot menu [​IMG]

Original OEM install of 7 on C:.
    Installed 7 on D: as a backup.
    Installed 8 on a third partition and it became C: and listed original 7 as D: and the backup 7 as E:. When on either 7, 8 is listed as D:.
    Upgraded backup 7 to 10 and it stayed as E: listing Original 7 as C: and 8 as D:.

rdwray, Jul 18, 2019
  3. Vista Beta 2 Installed

Well first I defragged the drive, then go into partition magic and select "create a new partition" and make sure it is "after c:"

Then click the rest of the way through the menus, and in the lower left there is a list of pending activites and click "apply" and you will have to restart and before windows boots partition magic does its thing.

wazzledoozle, Jul 18, 2019
  4. Partitions and Boot menu

No startup boot menu

Hello Kimoefat,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

As an initial recommendation, I would suggest you to access the System configuration utility and check if the Operating System installation path for Ubuntu exists. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Type msconfig in the search bar and select System Configuration from the search results.
    • Select the boot tab in the System configuration console to check if the installation path for Ubuntu exists.
    If it exists, next logical step is to check if the boot menu time out has been set to 0, which results in Boot menu not showing up.

The boot menu time-out determines how long the boot menu is displayed before the default boot entry is loaded. It is calibrated in seconds. To change the boot menu time-out, use the Bootcfg
    /timeout switch. Valid values are from 0 through 999. You cannot use Bootcfg to set an indefinite time-out.

You can run the following Run command line to set the boot menu time-out accordingly. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt

• Type in the following command: bootcfg /timeout 10

timeout 10
      will set the time frame to 10 seconds
    However, if the Boot path for Ubuntu does not exist in the boot menu of System Configuration utility, I would suggest you to check if the Ubuntu is overridden by the Windows installation or if the Ubuntu installation files are corrupted.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jul 18, 2019
Thema:

Partitions and Boot menu

1. Partitions and Boot menu - Similar Threads - Partitions Boot menu

2. After disk partition, can't even access BIOS or Boot menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    After disk partition, can't even access BIOS or Boot menu: My laptop model is Dell Inspiron 15 5000 5502. My laptop was working fine but I wanted the C partition to be bigger.I installed Macrorit Partition Expert Free Edition. There was 500 MB 'unallocated space' between C and D. I decided to merge this 500 MB and about 70 GB from D...
  3. After disk partition, can't even access BIOS or Boot menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    After disk partition, can't even access BIOS or Boot menu: My laptop model is Dell Inspiron 15 5000 5502. My laptop was working fine but I wanted the C partition to be bigger.I installed Macrorit Partition Expert Free Edition. There was 500 MB 'unallocated space' between C and D. I decided to merge this 500 MB and about 70 GB from D...
  4. boot partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    boot partition: Virtual Disk Service error: Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume.I am getting this error in my diskpart while cleaning my second ssd which doesnt have windows. I want to shift this current boot system,...
  5. boot partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    boot partition: Virtual Disk Service error: Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump or hibernation volume.I am getting this error in my diskpart while cleaning my second ssd which doesnt have windows. I want to shift this current boot system,...
  6. Stuck at Boot Menu. USB Boot after setting partition style to gpt stuck at boot menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Stuck at Boot Menu. USB Boot after setting partition style to gpt stuck at boot menu: I have been trying a clean install of Windows 10 on my Lenovo Ideapad. During the installation, I found that my partition disks had an error when trying to install. I had the wrong styling of my partition disks and I ran a command line prompt that cleaned and changed the...
  7. Partitions and Boot menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Partitions and Boot menu: What I would like to know does the bios create the boot menu and partitions or is it the operating system or a bit of both 136847
  8. F8 Boot Menu Partition Questions

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    F8 Boot Menu Partition Questions: Okay, I have decided to get ready to remove my pesky 4.88GB Windows 8.1 Partition (partition 5) from my PC because now I have Windows 10 and no longer have the option to go back. I have used a Command in the Elevated Command Prompt to enable the F8 boot menu as a substitute...
  9. Boot partition listed twice in boot menu

Boot partition listed twice in boot menu: I have windows 7, 8 and 10 dual boot. I decided to set 7 as the boot drive after having 10 and when I did, the boot menu and MSConfig both list 7 twice on the same partition and I cannot find Boot.ini. How do I get rid of the second listing of 7 in the boot menu? [img]...
  10. Add Recovery Partition to Windows 10 Boot Menu?

Add Recovery Partition to Windows 10 Boot Menu?: If I assign a drive letter to my recovery partition, can I then also create a boot menu entry for that partition? Macrium is perfectly happy to create and assign space for its recovery partition, and create a BCD entry for same so it shows up on the boot menu. That's got me...