Windows 10: Partitions created during upgrade

Discus and support Partitions created during upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello All, I am new to this site, but I was (or still am?) a member of Windows 7 Forums Now my question is about Partitions in Windows 10 I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by derekellis81, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Partitions created during upgrade

Hello All,

I am new to this site, but I was (or still am?) a member of Windows 7 Forums

Now my question is about Partitions in Windows 10

I have three-

100MB (created from Windows 7, which I knew was needed for booting)
    C Partition (Windows instllation)
    450MB (created after upgrade)

So, do I still need the 100MB? and what is this new 450MB used for? Disk Management says that is empty. I don't want to delete anything for risk of making my system unbootable.e

:)

derekellis81, Aug 19, 2015
  2. BillScot Win User

Windows 10 anniversary update fails with 0x80004005

I had the 0x80004005 on many occasions, at the first restart during the update. I tried updating with both the Windows Update Assistant and a DVD created using the Media Creation Tool but always with the same failure.

Eventually I tried a vanilla install on a spare hard drive. Not surprisingly this worked. I noticed that during this install Windows also created a System partition. I had no systems partition on my main hard drive and this has never caused me any problems.
    On a hunch I copied my old version of Win 10 to the spare disk, leaving the systems partition in place. This time the upgrade worked! After upgrading, I copied the upgraded version back to the disk without the systems partition and it still seems fine.

So at least in my case, it seems the system partition needs to be there during the upgrade process but not subsequently. This ties in with the fact that I had absolutely no problem upgrading my sister's PC which did have a system partition.

BillScot, Aug 19, 2015
  3. BillScot Win User
    Windows couldn't finish installing updates, 0x80004005 Error when using Upgrade Assistant

I had the 0x80004005 on many occasions, at the first restart during the update. I tried updating with both the Windows Update Assistant and a DVD created using the Media Creation Tool but always with the same failure.

Eventually I tried a vanilla install on a spare hard drive. Not surprisingly this worked. I noticed that during this install Windows also created a System partition. I had no systems partition on my main hard drive and this has never caused me any problems.
    On a hunch I copied my old version of Win 10 to the spare disk, leaving the systems partition in place. This time the upgrade worked! After upgrading, I copied the upgraded version back to the disk without the systems partition and it still seems fine.

So at least in my case, it seems the system partition needs to be there during the upgrade process but not subsequently. This ties in with the fact that I had absolutely no problem upgrading my sister's PC which did have a system partition.

BillScot, Aug 19, 2015
  4. Partitions created during upgrade

Don't delete either of the partitions. They are installed by default in Windows 10. You are correct that the system reserved is used for booting and is a required for Bitlocker which is a useful tool that everyone should take advantage of. The other partition is for system recovery, it does exactly what it says. It has a lot of the tools needed for recovery commands.

chris1neji, Aug 19, 2015
  5. topgundcp Win User
    The new partition is for Windows Recovery Environment and it's not empty, just hidden. Do not delete anything including 100MB. If you do a fresh install then you'll get a new partition layout: 500MB Reserved partition and Your Windows OS (C: Drive).

topgundcp, Aug 19, 2015
  6. Can I merge the partitions together?

derekellis81, Aug 19, 2015
  7. NO. You need to leave them alone.

Mark Phelps, Aug 19, 2015
  8. stormy13 Win User

Partitions created during upgrade

stormy13, Aug 19, 2015
  9. I Fixed it. Here is what I did

Since I was running Windows 7 before this, I did the free upgrade to Windows 10.

I used the Media Creator tool and burned an ISO on a DVD. I then did a compelte reinstall of the OS. Deleteed all paritions.

Windows 10 then made a new 500mb Partition. Completed the reinstall and replaced my apps and data.

FYI, tell anyone who is "thinking" of doing the free upgrade, stress that they need to UPGRADE first. Then, if they want, do a reinstall. Apparently the only way for the free upgrade is via an upgrade. Once you go thru the reinstall process, if it asks you for a product key, just skip.

derekellis81, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Partitions created during upgrade

1. Partitions created during upgrade - Similar Threads - Partitions created during

2. How to create system reserved partition during windows installation ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to create system reserved partition during windows installation ?: Hello everyone!During Windows installation I found three primary partitions just like in the image, but there is no system reserved partition, I know that the system will ask to create it if I delete all the partitions and recreate them but I can only delete the first one...
  3. How to create system reserved partition during windows installation ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to create system reserved partition during windows installation ?: Hello everyone!During Windows installation I found three primary partitions just like in the image, but there is no system reserved partition, I know that the system will ask to create it if I delete all the partitions and recreate them but I can only delete the first one...
  4. How to create system reserved partition during windows installation ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Are these the partitions that should be created during a new install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are these the partitions that should be created during a new install?: https://i.ibb.co/gtxvw4P/89c68530-f037-4b25-aa20-ac2b473ff696.jpg No recovery partition was created while installing in a new drive. Will it be created automatically or should I delete partitions and try again? In another drive with Windows 1809 I have: 500 MB Recovery,...
  6. creating partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    creating partitions: I want to partition a new HDD. Could some please explain the best way f doing this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-partitions/b404630c-dc77-40f2-a8a0-972357c75bf4
  7. Create partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Create partition: Any guide on create partition ? 124529
  8. Create partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Create partition: Any guide on create partition ? 124529
  9. what partitions does windows automatically create during instalation

what partitions does windows automatically create during instalation: i already have my pc updated with windows 10, i recently upgraded my hard drive with a samsung 850 pro ssd but i discovered that my recovery partition no longer works and when i try to do a system image windows says it cannot do it because files are missing . i used the...
  10. Creators Upgrade created a new partition

Creators Upgrade created a new partition: No question(s)... But just for info, posting a screenshot of Disk Management after updating Windows to Creators Upgrade (15063.296) A small recovery partition has been created and it looks like the below. = [img] = 84533