Windows 10: Partitions on C Drive

Discus and support Partitions on C Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am not sure how or when this occurred but I somehow seem to have ended up with 2 Healthy (recovery partition) both of which are different sizes.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by pewe, Apr 1, 2016.

1. pewe Win User

Partitions on C Drive

I am not sure how or when this occurred but I somehow seem to have ended up with 2 Healthy (recovery partition) both of which are different sizes.

Partitions on C Drive [​IMG]

I assume I don't need both, but how do I determine which is being used?

Anyone??

TIA

:)

pewe, Apr 1, 2016
  2. slance310 Win User

C Drive partitions

Hi,

The Recovery partition is not needed, but some of your Recovery features may not work without booting with a Repair CD or Installation Media... I delete mine...

One thing to consider though is the location of the Recovery Partition...

If it is before the EFI and\or C:\ Partitions, deleting it may mess up your boot...

Deleting it when in this position will be of little benefit anyway as it's in the wrong place to add it back to C:\...

The machine on which I delete the Recovery partition without issues, it is after C:\...

On my other machine where it is the first partition on the drive, I just leave it...

BTW... It would be a good idea to include both the EFI and Recovery in any image backup... Just in case...

slance310, Apr 1, 2016
  3. c drive partition

It's much less involved to run a 3rd party utility.. Partitions on C Drive :)

Mike Hall... always, Apr 1, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Partitions on C Drive

From an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt run:

reagentc /info

NavyLCDR, Apr 1, 2016
  5. Wondering Same thing myself actually for my Windows 10 Home Install--

My reagentc /info results

Windows RE status: Enabled
    Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk0\partition4\Recovery\WindowsRE
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: c870480f-b4a9-11e5-8260-40e230ceb70a
    Recovery image location:
    Recovery image index: 0
    Custom image location:
    Custom image index: 0

REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

AMDMan2016, Apr 1, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 1, 2016
  7. Ok One is the Original Asus Windows 8.1 System Recovery Image, and other is Windows RE (I suppose Windows 10 Recovery Parition)

AMDMan2016, Apr 1, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Partitions on C Drive

Windows RE is only the troubleshooting menu that you get when you hold down shift and click restart from the power icon. It won't contain any system images. The Windows 8.1 factory system image won't do you much good after the upgrade to Windows 10 unless you have software (either factory restore discs or an option in bios) that will access it to restore the factory software load with.

Windows 10, by default, won't use an actual image to restore itself. Instead it uses files in the WinSxS to rebuild itself. So a clean install will only create 2 or 3 partitions - the OS partition, a small partition that contains the boot files, and a small recovery partition that contains nothing more than the troubleshooting menu. Sometimes the boot files partition and the recovery partition get combined.

NavyLCDR, Apr 1, 2016
  9. Yeah my problem major one is I forgot to make the Recovery disc originally when I got the PC, guess to in a hurry to upgrade to Windows 10 like my old system was, didn't even find I had DVD's and extra USB drive til I already had 10 installed. Guess i'm SOL if hard drive ever dies and have problems going back to 10, which I hope I don't, but I guess will deal with it then I suppose, not sure if I can do much now

AMDMan2016, Apr 1, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Apr 1, 2016
  11. Oh Excellent, that relieves my worries then, and will remake a Vanialla Windows 8.1 Flash drive, may have one from old system, not sure at the moment will have to check lol, as well as get Windows 8 Product key with Showkey shortly.

AMDMan2016, Apr 1, 2016
  12. pewe Win User
    These are the results when I ran 'reagentc /info'

It mentions partition 5, but the partitions aren't numbered - so still not being sure which is the unnecessary one I ran Partition Tool and this was the result..

The highlighted disc is the system one, disc 2 being a 'clone' backup created by Casper.

From these results I assume that the one being used is the WINRE partition (650MB) and the other partition Recovery Partition of 858MB is the one I can get rid of.
    The Recovery Partition (18.8GB~) is the OEM partition which has the original 8.1 system backup and I'll get rid of that too.

Can anyone confirm if I'm right or wrong.

TIA

13. NavyLCDR New Member

Partitions on C Drive

I would think that would be correct, and you can always restore it from your backup copy if it isn't!

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Partitions on C Drive

1. Partitions on C Drive - Similar Threads - Partitions Drive

2. Can I recombine separate boot and system partitions back into one bootable system drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I recombine separate boot and system partitions back into one bootable system drive?: I am trying to turn an old 32bit Vista system into a Virtual Computer to run on my new Win11 PC in Hyper-V. However, the virtual machine boots to a BSOD. The old system had Acronis True Image installed now uninstalled, and it appears to have moved the boot portion of the...
  3. Can I recombine separate boot and system partitions back into one bootable system drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I recombine separate boot and system partitions back into one bootable system drive?: I am trying to turn an old 32bit Vista system into a Virtual Computer to run on my new Win11 PC in Hyper-V. However, the virtual machine boots to a BSOD. The old system had Acronis True Image installed now uninstalled, and it appears to have moved the boot portion of the...
  4. can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...: I have a backup image creation program that gets an error when I try to create an image:Cluster Run Error: Cluster Run Short - Error - 21, and it want me to run a chkdsk /r. I did and it didn't help. I contacted the software company, and they said I have a FAT32 partition EFI...
  5. can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...

can I safely assign a drive letter to an EFI partition to run a chkdsk on that partition on...: I have a backup image creation program that gets an error when I try to create an image:Cluster Run Error: Cluster Run Short - Error - 21, and it want me to run a chkdsk /r. I did and it didn't help. I contacted the software company, and they said I have a FAT32 partition EFI...
  6. How much is Recommended free space for Windows drive partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How much is Recommended free space for Windows drive partition?: Hello everyone,I'm planning to divide my Windows drive into three partitions: C, D, and E. My intention is to allocate the C drive solely for Windows, the D drive for data storage, including files such as documents, photos, and more, and the E drive for installed programs I...
  7. How much is Recommended free space for Windows drive partition?

How much is Recommended free space for Windows drive partition?: Hello everyone,I'm planning to divide my Windows drive into three partitions: C, D, and E. My intention is to allocate the C drive solely for Windows, the D drive for data storage, including files such as documents, photos, and more, and the E drive for installed programs I...
  8. I think I lost a partition on my external hard drive after a recent Windows update. Is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think I lost a partition on my external hard drive after a recent Windows update. Is...: After a recent Windows update, it seems like I've lost access to a partition on my external hard drive. This partition stored important files like work documents and personal photos. I'm worried about recovering it and accessing my data again. My computer runs on Windows....
  9. I think I lost a partition on my external hard drive after a recent Windows update. Is...

I think I lost a partition on my external hard drive after a recent Windows update. Is...: After a recent Windows update, it seems like I've lost access to a partition on my external hard drive. This partition stored important files like work documents and personal photos. I'm worried about recovering it and accessing my data again. My computer runs on Windows....
  10. After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data

After installing Windows 10 my second hard drive is not showing partitions or data: Below is all the data from System Information, just the machine and the drives.Basically, I reinstalled Windows 10 on the SSD drive. It had two partitions that I had made, one for windows and one for programs that run faster from the SSD. I have two Seagate hard drives, one...