Windows 10: Pass Native file systems to GUEST OS's for better I/O

Discus and support Pass Native file systems to GUEST OS's for better I/O in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks sometimes when running VM's - especially as servers (nothing wrong in using a VM as a server) you will considerably improve I/O throughput... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Dec 7, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Pass Native file systems to GUEST OS's for better I/O

Hi folks

sometimes when running VM's - especially as servers (nothing wrong in using a VM as a server) you will considerably improve I/O throughput if you use the native file system for the OS instead of using Virtual HDD's.

For instance if you run Windows Guests on a Linux host in the classical way with virtual HDD's the I/O has to handle both the vm hdd and the Windows file handler (ntfs-3g in Linux --which mounts the fuse (windows ntfs handler) in the kernel).

Similarly for Linux guests running on Windows hosts .

Attaching external HDD's to the VM is no problem as these can be attached with native file systems in the usual way.

The problem is with internal HDD's.

You need to allocate the WHOLE disk and in the VM setup specify it as a RAW HDD. That way Windows etc won't complain if it sees an HDD with a foreign file system on it or ask you to re-format it every time you re-boot the HOST system.

On the Guest just handle the HDD in the usual way e.g if Linux guest just mount the device or with Windows the HDD should be recognized as soon as the VM is powered on.

This should beef up your I/O on VM's quite considerably. Note use this for DATA. Keep the guest OS itself on a Virtual disk - and an SSD is the best place for this.

The 3 main sets of Vm software people use on these forums (VMware, vbox and Hyper-V) all allow for RAW HDD pass through to the guest.

If you can run the VM on an SSD (the OS part) then so much the better too.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Dec 7, 2017
  2. MRiPL Win User

PKPASS files not associated with Wallet

Thanks! The app "All my passes" was exactly what I was looking for (though obviously native Wallet support would have been better).

MRiPL, Dec 7, 2017
  3. DaveLPG47 Win User
    Lumia 635 - Music app issue

Thanks Manon B.

I (now) understand why the songs didn't play, but why do they even appear on the phone, if not stored locally, w/o a Xbox Pass?

It would be better if they didn't appear on the phone UNLESS the Xbox Pass was present.

DaveLPG47, Dec 7, 2017
Thema:

Pass Native file systems to GUEST OS's for better I/O

1. Pass Native file systems to GUEST OS's for better I/O - Similar Threads - Pass Native file

2. Changing language to the OS, but it is not native

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing language to the OS, but it is not native: Hi all,I am in a fight with a vendor who sent me back a pc after maintenance in guarantee with Windows 10 pro in Italian instead of the original English. I know that he will reply to install one Microsoft tool which changes the appearance of the language to English.BUT I...
  3. Changing language to the OS, but it is not native

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing language to the OS, but it is not native: Hi all,I am in a fight with a vendor who sent me back a pc after maintenance in guarantee with Windows 10 pro in Italian instead of the original English. I know that he will reply to install one Microsoft tool which changes the appearance of the language to English.BUT I...
  4. Better integration of windows with android file systems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Better integration of windows with android file systems: There seems to be many questions about people wanting to transfer folders and files from android to windows but the problem occurs with date and times for each system. Windows has date created, date modified and date accessed but android has date modified, date changed and...
  5. Better integration of windows with android file systems

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Better integration of windows with android file systems: There seems to be many questions about people wanting to transfer folders and files from android to windows but the problem occurs with date and times for each system. Windows has date created, date modified and date accessed but android has date modified, date changed and...
  6. I/O logs on the File system ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I/O logs on the File system ?: Hi, someone knows if the cut and past operations are logged in the Event Viewer automatially in W10 ?I did a cut and copy operation which went wrong on some files and I d like to find which files were concerned ? Is there a possibility to do that with the Event Viewer ?...
  7. Mega Optimising Disk I/O for Windows Guests on KVM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Mega Optimising Disk I/O for Windows Guests on KVM: Hi folks Two ways -- pass the pci device of say the SSD or whatever to your Windows Guest - then use Native file system If you can't pass the pci device then create a virtio disk - then before booting up change the xml for that disk to : <disk type="file" device="disk">...
  8. Which OS suits my system better ? Windows 7 or 10 ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Which OS suits my system better ? Windows 7 or 10 ?: I recently build an old , low end pc. I was searching about which OS have a better gaming performance , but I couldn't find a clear answer so this is why I am posting here. I may upgrade gpu if I find one. I'm not looking for playing new games. Here is my low end pc built...
  9. no audio from guest os

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    no audio from guest os: hi i am ahmed i had currently installed kali linux in hyper v but when i play video on youtuve in kali linux there is no audio is coming i has searched for this error from internet this seems due to generation 1 and 2 i a=had installed on 1 generation...
  10. System OS Files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    System OS Files: Ive ran into a problem and I believe having my system files in my ssd is causing my computer problems when using applications such as games. Im looking for a way to move my OS files from my SSD to my HDD. thanks in advance!...