Windows 10: Password help when sharing on a home network

Discus and support Password help when sharing on a home network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, sorry if this is a repeat question but I've searched the forums and haven't managed to find the answer I'm after and I don't think I fully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by NicholasCohen1, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Password help when sharing on a home network

Hello, sorry if this is a repeat question but I've searched the forums and haven't managed to find the answer I'm after and I don't think I fully understand how to set up my home network correctly.

I'm trying to set up a network connection between several computers over my wireless network at home and I would like the access to be password protected. I have set the network as private, turned on file sharing and turned on password-protected sharing. The network access works and the first time I connected through explorer I was asked for a password, however I have never been asked for a password since. Even when both computers are restarted they have full access to each other. Is this expected behaviour? Ideally I would like to be asked for a password whenever I try to establish a connection between the machines. I have a third computer in the house and when this tries to access the other computers through the network it is asked for a password (although I haven't input the password as I don't want this machine to have constant access to the networked computers!). Please let me know if there is a way to achieve what I'm after or if I just misunderstand how password protection should work over a network.

:)

NicholasCohen1, Dec 2, 2019

2. Network Sharing

Hi Arya,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Provide us additional information to assist you better with this issue:

1. Are you trying to share the wireless network connection from Windows device to phone?
    2. What is the make and model of the phone?
    3. Which version of Windows is installed on your device?
    Refer the article ‘Which version of Windows operating system am I running
    to provide the details.

If you’re referring to sharing the Wireless network connection in Windows 10, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

1. Press Windows + I key on your keyboard and click on Network & Internet.
    2. On the network & Internet page, click on ‘Mobile hotspot’.
    3. Turn On’ Share my Internet connection with other devices under Mobile hotspot.
    4. The default network name and password will be available under Mobile hotspot.
    5. Enter the same password on the device which you’re trying to connect and check the status of the issue.

If you’re trying to share the internet connection, then refer the article
    Use your PC as a mobile hotspot
    for more information.

If you’re referring to ‘File sharing’, I suggest you to refer the section ‘How do I troubleshoot sharing and folders’ from the article ‘File
    sharing over a network in Windows 10

Get back to us for further assistance on this issue. We will be happy to help you.

Regards,

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Dec 2, 2019
  3. Try3 Win User
    Share a folder over a home network without password prompting

There used to be a need for an extra step in some conditions** but I thought that need had disappeared [I still do the extra step routinely so I have not tested its need for several years].

** when using different Windows versions on a network that is connected by an ethernet cable directly between the two computers without any router

You used to have to
    1 Set password protected sharing On
    2 Create a local Admin account with the same name on every computer and set the same password for each of those accounts.
    3 Enter the Admin's password when first challenged [when first trying to access a shared folder across the network].
    [4 There was no further call for this password - it was a first-use-only thing.]

Perhaps this is still a useful step? Hopefully, a network buff will chip in soon.

In the meantime, you might check if you have included all the steps in Share Files and Folders Over a Network - TenForumsTutorials and that your Workgroup name is the same on all network computers.

Best of luck,
    Denis

Try3, Dec 2, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Password help when sharing on a home network

Windows 10 intermittently prompts for network credentials

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community..

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Window Key, and type Network and sharing

• Click on Change Advanced sharing settings

• Select all network

• Under Home Group connections

• Select Use user Account and Password to connect to other computer

• If don’t want the password follow the steps below

• Select all network

• Under password protected Sharing

• Turn off Password Protected Sharing

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Dec 2, 2019
Thema:

Password help when sharing on a home network

1. Password help when sharing on a home network - Similar Threads - Password help sharing

2. Network Sharing and Passwords

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Sharing and Passwords: I am having a nightmare of a time trying to access shared folders on my two PC's, a Desktop and a NUC acting as a server.Windows keeps asking for Passwords, but I did a new install and I haven't even chosen a passwordI didn't do it as a local machine, I did it online using my...
  3. Network Sharing and Passwords

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network Sharing and Passwords: I am having a nightmare of a time trying to access shared folders on my two PC's, a Desktop and a NUC acting as a server.Windows keeps asking for Passwords, but I did a new install and I haven't even chosen a passwordI didn't do it as a local machine, I did it online using my...
  4. Need help sharing files on home network

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help sharing files on home network: I have a home private network. It works fine when I use the laptop to view files on the desktop, but when I try to use the desktop to view files on the laptop, I get a window to enter my network credentials to connect to the laptop. The desktop is brand new and came with...
  5. Need help sharing files on home network

Need help sharing files on home network: I have a home private network. It works fine when I use the laptop to view files on the desktop, but when I try to use the desktop to view files on the laptop, I get a window to enter my network credentials to connect to the laptop. The desktop is brand new and came with...
  6. Home network file sharing

Home network file sharing: I just got a new computer super fast lots of memory Windows 11 latest updates.I have 4 other computers running windows 10 on a wireless network but I can't get the new computer to recognize these.The other 4 communicate with each other OK.What's different about the Win 11...
  7. sharing folders on home network

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    sharing folders on home network: After update, I can no longer access shared folders on my wife's laptop from my laptop over our home network. How may I turn this on again please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-folders-on-home-network/56cc4ace-5759-47cb-b514-9c86e98307d9"
  8. Home group/network sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Home group/network sharing: I have a Desktop with Windows 7 and a Laptop with Windows 10. At an earlier date I was able to share files with both by turning on Home Group on Windows 7 and sharing folders in Network Sharing on my Laptop. I have since had to reinstall my Windows 10 on my Laptop; and...
  9. Share a folder over a home network without password prompting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Share a folder over a home network without password prompting: I just finished putting a new PC together and now I'm trying to accomplish what I would have assumed to be a very simple task. Especially since I can't recall ever having any issues when I was on my old PC. I have a number of folders on my main PC I would like to share...
  10. home networks & shared links

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    home networks & shared links: Please can anyone, give me answer how to correct the following. I have Windows 10 just updated to version 1809. My wife & I both had computer that were linked through the home network. a short while ago her machine crashed, due to a faulty mother board & scrapped, therefor...