Windows 10: Password incorrect - No admin user when trying to troubleshoot start up

Discus and support Password incorrect - No admin user when trying to troubleshoot start up in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; I was on my computer in the morning. I had a hit to my Comcast and then my computer was black. I did a hard shut down and powered it back up once... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Di3420, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Di3420 Win User

Password incorrect - No admin user when trying to troubleshoot start up

I was on my computer in the morning. I had a hit to my Comcast and then my computer was black. I did a hard shut down and powered it back up once Comcast was back up. When I enter the password it tells me it is incorrect. I tried a restart holding shift and then tried to troubleshoot the start up. It won't let me run it because it says there are no admin users on the machine. There used to be 2 admin users on the machine before this happened. Something else I noticed is that before the "crash" I used to see the 2 admin users on the lower left of the screen at login. Now there aren't any users listed there. I have seen similar posts but have not noticed anything about missing admin user. What can I do other than reinstall as I have not backed this computer up yes, yes, I know for a while and would lose a lot of information. This used to be my late father's machine and he didn't back up things. Help!! Thanks.

:)

Di3420, Aug 21, 2020
  2. Namslas90 Win User

admin password?

You can reset the Admin Password using Windows XP repair; See Here for step by step.

*Toast :toast:

Namslas90, Aug 21, 2020
  3. the user name or password is incorrect. try again

Hi Rich,

We appreciate your time and effort for getting back to us.

Follow the below steps to enable Built in Administrator:

• Click on the Start button and click on the Settings option.

• Select Update & security > Recovery.

• Go to Advanced startup and select
      Restart now.

• After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select
      Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt.

• Once you can boot into the command prompt, type "net user administrator /active:yes"

and click Enter. This will activate hidden administrator account.

• Now, close command prompt and remove installation media. Boot back to Windows 10 normal mode and sign in to Administrator account. You do not need a password for hidden admin account.

• Create a new administrator account from the admin account.

• Once you created a new account (Steps to create new account will be provided in the end), sign out of the hidden admin account and then boot into the newly created account.

• When you have successfully signed into the new account, copy all the files from the following path c:/Users/Forgotten_Account_Name
      to a secure path.

• Now, you can disable the hidden admin account and use the new account.

• To disable hidden admin account press
      Windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin).

• In the Elevated Command prompt, type "net user administrator /active:no"

and click Enter. This will disable hidden administrator account.
    You can now use the newly created admin account to login to the system.

To create a new test user account follow the steps below:

• Right click on the Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type net user NewAccount password /add
      and click Enter.
    • Type net localgroup Administrators NewAccount /add and click
      Enter.
    • Log off from the system and login to the new user account.
    • If your start menu and other applications work fine then you can transfer all your data to the new account.
    • Remember your new account name is "NewAccount" and its password is "password" as mentioned in the commands.
    Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Aug 21, 2020
  4. Password incorrect - No admin user when trying to troubleshoot start up

Forgot admin password

Hi,

Thank you for posing your response.

As you are in a state were your account is completely inaccessible, I suggest that you try to access in build admin account and check if you are able to access the desktop.

To access the in built administrator account follow the steps below

Step 1: Follow the steps to enable Built-in Administrator account:

• As you are stuck min Safe Mode, in the sign-in
      screen, press and hold shift key and click on the
      power icon.
      Here click on Restart and then Restart now.
    • Type: net user administrator /active:yes (To enable Built –in Administrator account give the command Active: No).
    • Then press ENTER.

Step 2: From Built-in Administrator account give Administrator rights to your user account:

• Press Windows Key + X key and click Control Panel.
    • Click on User account.
    • Click on Manage another account.
    • Click on your user account.
    • Click on reset the password.
    • Restart the computer and check if you are able to login.

Note: Once done exist the build in admin account by typing the command
    net user administrator /active:no

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Aug 21, 2020
Thema:

Password incorrect - No admin user when trying to troubleshoot start up

1. Password incorrect - No admin user when trying to troubleshoot start up - Similar Threads - Password incorrect admin

2. Admin password incorrect but there never was a password??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Admin password incorrect but there never was a password??: Hi, I’ve basically been frozen out of windows. So I installed a new graphic driver then suddenly when it restarted it wouldn’t allow me to boot into windows. It’s booting my computer into troubleshoot. The problem I’m having is that it won’t allow me to boot into safe mode...
  3. Admin password incorrect but there never was a password??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Admin password incorrect but there never was a password??: Hi, I’ve basically been frozen out of windows. So I installed a new graphic driver then suddenly when it restarted it wouldn’t allow me to boot into windows. It’s booting my computer into troubleshoot. The problem I’m having is that it won’t allow me to boot into safe mode...
  4. Admin password incorrect but there never was a password??

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Troubleshooting login password incorrect

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Troubleshooting login password incorrect: Hey i had the problem where my PIN wasn't working so I tried troubleshooting and whenever I try troubleshoot like start repair or command prompt it tells me to enter my password for account but when I do it says password is incorrect for no reason any help?...
  6. Troubleshooting login password incorrect

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Troubleshooting login password incorrect: Hey i had the problem where my PIN wasn't working so I tried troubleshooting and whenever I try troubleshoot like start repair or command prompt it tells me to enter my password for account but when I do it says password is incorrect for no reason any help?...
  7. Troubleshooting login password incorrect

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Admin sign-in - password incorrect when trying to convert HD for Win11

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Admin sign-in - password incorrect when trying to convert HD for Win11: Hi, I am trying to convert my HD from MBR to GPT on win10 so that I can upgrade to Win11. When I go to advanced options > command prompt it asks for the admin account to use I choose the only one - me and then it asks for a password. It wont accept it, so I can go no further....
  9. Windows 10 not booting. Account password is incorrect when trying to troubleshoot when the...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 not booting. Account password is incorrect when trying to troubleshoot when the...: Randomly yesterday after no changes to my ASUS RoG Strix, i turned it on and the screen remained black. Eventually i got an error message saying Windows 10 did not boot. When i try to troubleshoot, whenever it asks for my account password, the password says its incorrect when...
  10. When my computer starts up, I get the message: "The user naame or password is incorrect....

in Windows 10 Customization
    When my computer starts up, I get the message: "The user naame or password is incorrect....: Every time my Windows 10 PC restarts I get a message saying. "The Password or user name is incorrect. Please try again." I've set the computer to not require a PW on start up, but that is apparently ignored. I then must enter my password and the computer is fine. To make...