Windows 10: Password Managers - Better than a Post-It?

Discus and support Password Managers - Better than a Post-It? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Ive looked at some discussions here and elsewhere, and my wife hit me with a question last night You follow the clamor saying you need a password... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by GracieAllen, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Password Managers - Better than a Post-It?

Ive looked at some discussions here and elsewhere, and my wife hit me with a question last night

You follow the clamor saying you need a password manager presume Dashlane or Lastpass or something equivalent. HOPEFULLY, you find one that HAS actual, accessible, human support (unlike those two).

You go through the interminable process and create dozens of long, arcane, impossible-to-remember nonsense passwords, each unique for web sites, products, logins, whatever. You create some long, cumbersome MASTER password for getting into the thing, and turn on 2FA cause they all seem to encourage this now.

And, youre a person that DOESNT like screen clutter (my wife is a clean desktop maniac who OPENS a tool, uses the tool, CLOSES the tool). So to check what cousin Gertrude is having for lunch, you go through the whole process of getting the 2FA key, enter than, then enter the password manager password, open Facebook, check whatever, then Log Off Facebook and close the browser. Come back next time and do it again, maybe this time to Amazon, do stuff, finish, close Chrome. Repeat untold times per day for browsers, email, applications, anything you normally do, over and over, all day.

And for whatever reason, you prefer Firefox for doing financial stuff, so if you want to get into your bank, credit cards, portfolio, anything financial, you start that browser and go through the whole process again.

Even to open a LOCAL application you have to log into the Password manager and manually copy the username and password to paste into the login. Which means going through the whole login again.

After about the 8th time doing that today, you log into the Password manager and hit the stay logged in for the next 14 days cause its just more hassle than its worth to go through this process 20-30-40 times a day, especially if you regularly mistype the password and have to repeat

Heres the question I was asked: Didn't you just UNDO all the security you had? Wouldnt the passwords be safer on a piece of paper taped to the screen where some virus or worm or trojan or 12-year-old in East Overshoe cant break into the computer and access them?

I didnt have a good answer.

So, HOW do you use a Password Manager thats secure, easy to use, doesnt require logging in over and over, is readily accessible, but still secure from any malware or other intrusion getting at those dozens of passwords and secure notes with all the registration information, credit cards and everything else the Password Manager is supposed to be protecting?

I have the horrible feeling the answer is going to be youre screwed. You either go through the whole login dozens of times/day or you make all the passwords 123456 so you can remember it, and take your chances Hopefully, Im wrong?

:)

GracieAllen, Jan 8, 2021

2. Disk Management - How to Post a Screenshot of

or...

This will do it for you

Step 1: Download this zip file (contains dmDskmgr-vd.mmc)

dmDskmgr-vd.zip
    Step 2: Double click dmDskmgr-vd.zip to open the compressed folder
    Double click dmDskmgr-vd.mmc to launch the custom Disk Management console

Press Alt+PrtScn to grab a snapshot of just the Disk Management window
    Open Paint and Ctrl+V to paste it, then save the image
    Attach the image to a new post.

Slartybart, Jan 8, 2021
  3. password protect

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you referring to BIOS password as Boot password?
    • Is it a login password which you are referring when Windows starts?
    If Login password, provided you are using Local Account on Windows 10 you may follow the below steps:
    • Press Windows + R keys to open Run command
    • Type " control userpasswords2 "
    • Select the account and uncheck "user must login with password"
    • Select apply and Ok.
    If Boot password you may have to contact your computer manufacturer.

Keep us posted to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jan 8, 2021
  4. Password Managers - Better than a Post-It?

Long boot time and passwords missing

The only reason I mention the account is that a Windows update recently was causing people to be signed into a temporary account, your password manager may be installed for all users but the list of passwords would be user specific, therefore the blank password list suggests a different account. *Smile

Pejole2165, Jan 8, 2021
Thema:

Password Managers - Better than a Post-It?

1. Password Managers - Better than a Post-It? - Similar Threads - Password Managers Better

2. is cortana better than alexa

in Cortana
    is cortana better than alexa: I need to set up Cortana or Alexa I know which one to use https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-cortana-better-than-alexa/415fa570-41d8-4a86-92e1-423af2e72035
  3. is cortana better than alexa

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is cortana better than alexa: I need to set up Cortana or Alexa I know which one to use https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-cortana-better-than-alexa/415fa570-41d8-4a86-92e1-423af2e72035
  4. is cortana better than alexa

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Seems better than ever

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seems better than ever: The problem-free performance of my Win11 has always been very good... fast, snappy & smooth. But I swear since moving to 22H2 it is or seems to be even more so... I do not believe I am imagining it be even quicker & more responsive than ever after moving to 22H2. Has anyone...
  6. Seems better than ever

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Seems better than ever: The problem-free performance of my Win11 has always been very good... fast, snappy & smooth. But I swear since moving to 22H2 it is or seems to be even more so... I do not believe I am imagining it be even quicker & more responsive than ever after moving to 22H2. Has anyone...
  7. Anything better than VMWare Workstation?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Anything better than VMWare Workstation?: I thought it's the best, I tried it the other day and found it not very user friendly. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to access files that are on my computer in the VM and even the drag/drop file function didn't work as it had a stop sign sign Is there a better...
  8. PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE ?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE ?: From FIRST INSTALLTION of any particular version of Windows, or other amenable operating system, use AOMEI Partition Assistant to copy the Partition, or Migrate the Operating System, to another drive. If, at some future occasion, your system acquires mysterious problems that...
  9. cookie manager that is better than Firefox

in Browsers and Email
    cookie manager that is better than Firefox: I really like (well, mostly) Firefox, but I find that the cookie manager is a real pain.*Confused I'm looking for a third-party tool that gives me a view like MS File Explorer. 141255
  10. Defender Better than any other

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender Better than any other: Do not recall where yet I read an article stating Defender should be THE one and only choice of anti-anything protection for Win10. Personally, I have McAfee Life Safe. I'm a ordinary occasional user but want what's best for my PC. I think the article stated the pumped up...