Windows 10: password not working for advanced start-up login

Discus and support password not working for advanced start-up login in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro 1903 build 18632.329) I need to uninstall the latest update from windows 10 (kb4512941) to test an issue occurring with a virtual... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Cybot, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Cybot Win User

password not working for advanced start-up login

Windows 10 Pro 1903 build 18632.329)

I need to uninstall the latest update from windows 10 (kb4512941) to test an issue occurring with a virtual machine (whole separate issue than this one), but when I put in my password when asked at the advanced startup screen, it rejects my password. I am using an Microsoft account to login to my PC. I have double and triple checked the password I typed in, and I was indeed typing it in correctly, but it gets rejected as being the wrong password. I had to back out of the process since I could not log in, and once windows booted up, I had windows switch form asking for my PIN to ask for my password, and I entered it letter for letter the same as I had before, and it got accepted. I don't understand what is going on here. I can use he password to log in to windows normally, and into the MS account site, and here, but not when I need to access the advanced startup features (accessed by pressing shift during restart of windows OR by going to settings>Update & Security>Recovery>Advanced Startup). I have peeked at the password when it was rejected and it was correct. Is there another password I am unaware of that is required?

:)

Cybot, Sep 1, 2019

2. Password issue

After going through the steps to make a new password, after a week or two, my login credentials are no longer valid. I'm forced to make a new password all over again. It seems to happen if I don't login in a certain period of time. Does our passwords expire???

GoFigureItOut, Sep 1, 2019
  3. Going to local login broke ability login without password prompt

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

We understand how you feel about the situation. We're sorry for the trouble.

1) Have you set up same password for both Microsoft account and local account?

You can sign in either with Microsoft account or local account. I suggest you to change the password for both the accounts and check if it helps.

1) Open settings and click on accounts.

2) Click on Your email and accounts.

3) Now in the right pane click on Manage my Microsoft account. It will redirect to your Microsoft account page.

4) here click on change password and try to sign in again.

You can also change password by clicking on Sign-in options in the left pane and choose change password in the right pane.

If the issue still persists, you can follow the below steps.

Please follow below steps:

• Click on power button at left bottom corner, press and hold
        Shift key and click on Restart.

• Click on Troubleshoot.

• Click on Advanced options.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click on Restart.

• Login to Microsoft Account and create a new administrator account.
    If you’re not able to login using Microsoft account then refer to below steps and check if it helps.

Activate Inbuilt Administrator Account.

Follow the below steps:

• Click on power button at left bottom corner, press and hold
        Shift key and click on Restart.

• Click on Troubleshoot.

• Click on Advanced options.

• Click on Command Prompt and enter following command.

net user Administrator /active:yes
    Now reboot your system and login to inbuilt admin account and try to reset password for other account. Once you reset password login to other account and to deactivate inbuilt admin account enter following command in elevated command prompt.

net user Administrator /active:no

Hope this helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Sep 1, 2019
  4. Dyan Rey Win User

Microsoft Account PIN and password

We appreciate the screenshot that you provided. to start troubleshooting the issue with you logins, we suggest that you follow the steps below on how login pin goes back to password:

• Click Start menu and go to Settings.
    • In Settings, click the Accounts icon.
    • Click on Sign-in options.
    • Change both your password and pin one by one.
    Let us know how it goes.

Dyan Rey, Sep 1, 2019
Thema:

1. password not working for advanced start-up login - Similar Threads - password working advanced

2. Wrong Password for advanced start-up command prompt administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wrong Password for advanced start-up command prompt administrator: I'm trying to get to the command prompt in the advanced startup so I can reformat my main boot drive to GPT because it is still in MBR I'm trying to get upgraded to Windows 11 and I cannot change my boot sequence to UEFI currently without having problems. I've run into the...
  3. Wrong Password for advanced start-up command prompt administrator

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Wrong Password for advanced start-up command prompt administrator: I'm trying to get to the command prompt in the advanced startup so I can reformat my main boot drive to GPT because it is still in MBR I'm trying to get upgraded to Windows 11 and I cannot change my boot sequence to UEFI currently without having problems. I've run into the...
  4. Wrong Password for advanced start-up command prompt administrator

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows advanced start-up demanding a password, not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows advanced start-up demanding a password, not working: Hi,I have run into a problem launching my PC, I had a continuous loading circle on a black screenI hard restarted it, bringing me to safe modeI tried to use multiple of the advanced options and troubleshooting options on the blue screen, however, each one demanding I input a...
  6. Windows advanced start-up demanding a password, not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows advanced start-up demanding a password, not working: Hi,I have run into a problem launching my PC, I had a continuous loading circle on a black screenI hard restarted it, bringing me to safe modeI tried to use multiple of the advanced options and troubleshooting options on the blue screen, however, each one demanding I input a...
  7. Windows advanced start-up demanding a password, not working

8. password not working for advanced start-up login

password not working for advanced start-up login: Someone named cybot already asked this quition please solve this and let me know https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-not-working-for-advanced-start-up-login/e8396626-d82e-4a20-a22b-f14f4887f78f
  9. Windows 10 start up login password problems.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 start up login password problems.: Can any please help me get back into my laptop? my hp laptop updated windows 10 a couple of nights ago and when i went to turn it on yesterday it would not accept my usual password, ive tried every password i have ever used and still cant get in. I keep ketting the password...
  10. Advance Start up > Advanced options password disable

in Windows 10 Customization
    Advance Start up > Advanced options password disable: I was looking at an article on how one can reset a windows password if you've forgotten it by going into Advanced Startup Press the shift key + restart to boot to Advanced Startup Select Troubleshoot Select Advance Options Select Command prompt And then running some...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. advanced start up refusing my password