Windows 10: Password Policy for local standard vs local admin accounts

Discus and support Password Policy for local standard vs local admin accounts in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have TEN Windows 10 Pro computers on a peer to peer network no domain. Each computer has 2 LOCAL non Microsoft accounts - 1 Admin and 1 standard... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JimReynolds_143, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Password Policy for local standard vs local admin accounts

I have TEN Windows 10 Pro computers on a peer to peer network no domain. Each computer has 2 LOCAL non Microsoft accounts - 1 Admin and 1 standard user non-admin.

Is it possible to set a password policy where the policy can be set against ONLY the LOCAL standard user account and NOT the LOCAL admin account?

I looked at SECPOL but it doesn't differentiate between the STANDARD account and ADMIN account.

Thanks - Jim

:)

JimReynolds_143, Apr 12, 2020
  2. Yaqub K Win User

Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Apr 12, 2020
  3. Local Admin Account vs standard Account

The first account you create, during setup of Windows 10, is a member of the "Administrators Group" by default. It is not "The Administrator" though, it is still subject to User Account control Etc. That's for protection from malware etc. Clicking "Run as Administrator" elevates it to the full administrator. That's what you want, and is fine for most people. Any subsequent account created can be an Administrator or Standard User. This has nothing to do with Outlook.com. It's local privileges/permissions. An account setup as Standard user will be prompted for an Administrator Password if they click "Run as Administrator". If the only account setup on that PC is a Standard User (because you deleted the other Admin users) you won't be able to do much. Run as admin won't work as you won't have any valid password to enter. The built in system administrator account is hidden and disabled by default.

I Have tried in the past running with just a Standard user Account. For me, It got old very quickly having to actually type the password in for the other (admin) account every time you have to use "Run as Administrator'.

alphanumeric, Apr 12, 2020
  4. Password Policy for local standard vs local admin accounts

How to change Local Standard account password

Hi,

To begin with, I would like to inform that you may not be able to recover the password/reset the password for the Standard User Accounts. However, I suggest that you try the steps below and check if it helps

1. If you have another Local Admin Account in your PC or a Microsoft Account, you can use the account and try to reset the password.

2. Right click on the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).

3. Here copy/type the command below and hit Enter the command

net user username *

Note: username here is the username of the account that needs a password reset

4. You will receive a prompt to enter the new password for the account. Hit enter after entering the first password option.

5. Once the command runs successfully, reboot your system and check.

Hope this helps

Regards

Vanessa Sohtun, Apr 12, 2020
Thema:

Password Policy for local standard vs local admin accounts

1. Password Policy for local standard vs local admin accounts - Similar Threads - Password Policy local

2. Password VS PIN for a local account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Password VS PIN for a local account: Hi everyone,On my PC, I have recently switched my Windows account to a local account for security reason. Then I created also a local account password, of course, so now I can access on my Windows system by both my local account password OR my old Windows PIN.Having two...
  3. Password VS PIN for a local account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Password VS PIN for a local account: Hi everyone,On my PC, I have recently switched my Windows account to a local account for security reason. Then I created also a local account password, of course, so now I can access on my Windows system by both my local account password OR my old Windows PIN.Having two...
  4. Signed in as Microsoft account vs local admin account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Signed in as Microsoft account vs local admin account: I have a user who cannot run some scripts using python to map some paths on dependencies. User is signed in with their Microsoft account which is FirstName LastName There is a space in between first and last name and then a phone number under their account when checking user...
  5. Signed in as Microsoft account vs local admin account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Signed in as Microsoft account vs local admin account: I have a user who cannot run some scripts using python to map some paths on dependencies. User is signed in with their Microsoft account which is FirstName LastName There is a space in between first and last name and then a phone number under their account when checking user...
  6. Local admin account password - Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Local admin account password - Windows 10: Hi, my laptop suffers from occasional disk errors and I get into disk repair mode. I get asked for a password I assume admin and enter it successfully - job done? Not exactly, I can't figure out how to change this password as I can't see a password change option under account...
  7. Using same password for both Local Admin and Standard accounts?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Using same password for both Local Admin and Standard accounts?: Hi everyone! Just need some user account advise here. -I am the only person using my machine and no one else. -Machine is a Standalone meaning it is not domain-joined. -Running BitLocker full encryption with TPM and PIN -User account lockout after failed password attempts...
  8. Local admin account vs domain admin account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Local admin account vs domain admin account: Can both local admin account and domain admin account make changes on the Windows 10 Pro PC? Like installing programs, uninstalling, making network changes etc. Does one account has more access than the other?...
  9. Local Admin Account vs standard Account

Local Admin Account vs standard Account: i have to ask this i am on Windows 10 Home build 16299.19 as i am currently terminating an old account and going to my most current account but i am concerned that the one i use to login into my current PC might be lost and i do wonder if the admin account i use for this HP...
  10. Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?

Downgrading from a local Admin Account to a Standard User Account?: After reinstalling Windows 10, I created a local Admin user account just enough for me to install some apps and set things up. After that, I created another local Admin account. Now, I need to downgrade my current Admin account (which I created during setup) to a Standard...