Windows 10: Password Protected External Drive Stopped being Recognized

Discus and support Password Protected External Drive Stopped being Recognized in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I had a password protected drive that worked fine until it didn't anymore. Not an old drive, but yesterday the computer stopped recognizing the drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TechChallenged2019, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Password Protected External Drive Stopped being Recognized

I had a password protected drive that worked fine until it didn't anymore. Not an old drive, but yesterday the computer stopped recognizing the drive.

USB Controllers shows Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). I've tried uninstalling, and searching for changes. Tried restarting. Still not recognized.

The device/files never appear in File Manager, nor does the disk show content in Disk Management. However, the device seems to occasionally appear in different places in Device Managers - usually comes back as an unknown USB, but sometimes shows in Disk drives or in storage controllers.

Looking for suggestions to get back into my drive as I need one of the files asap.

Thanks.

:)

TechChallenged2019, Oct 21, 2019

2. External drive

Hi Richard,

There are several factors that can cause your external drive to not read DVDs even though the system is recognizing the device. This could be caused by a driver that needs to updated or corrupted files. For us to resolve your concern, kindly answer the questions
    below:

• Just to confirm, the device that is not working properly is a external DVD optical drive?
    • Were there any recent changes or updates installed on your computer?
    • Have you tried to plug the external drive to a different port on your computer?

As a initial recommendation, we suggest that your run the built in troubleshooter in Windows 10. Kindly refer to the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on
      Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

This will check for common errors that affect hardware on your computer and attempts to correct them.

We look forward to your response after completing the steps.

Jordan Dom, Oct 21, 2019
  3. Romel Ram Win User
    Loss of External drives

Hi,

For better assistance, kindly verify the queries below:

• What is the make and model of the external drives?
    • Have you checked if both drivers are recognized on the BIOS settings?
    • Are you connecting the external hard drives via USB?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps have you done so far for this issue?
    Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Romel Ram, Oct 21, 2019
  4. vallero Win User

Password Protected External Drive Stopped being Recognized

external hard drive not recognized

Hello zbook
    #1) I have tested the external drives in three different computers, win10 pro, Win10, and XP. The results are identical. When I plug in the external hard drive windows signals a new device with an audio signal and the light comes on on the external drive. The results on all three pc's is identical in disk manager, file explorer and device manager.
    #2) I have tried all solutions presented to me by FreeBooter, from the simplest solution of uninstalling the external drive in device manager and rebooting windows, to using the various third party software that was suggested, obviously with out success.
    #3) The attached screen shots will only show one of the drives attached because I don't have enough free USB ports to attach two drives and I didn't think it would have been a good idea to use a hub.
    #4) one strange thing about one of the drives is that now device manager lists it as a Toshiba drive although it is a Western Digital.
    #5) Sorry but I have no way of getting a photo of BIOS

Password Protected External Drive Stopped being Recognized [​IMG]

I look forward to reading your comments

vallero, Oct 21, 2019
Thema:

Password Protected External Drive Stopped being Recognized

1. Password Protected External Drive Stopped being Recognized - Similar Threads - Password Protected External

2. External hard drive not being recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive not being recognized: MYBook external hard drive is not being recognized by my PC. What can I do? The power light is on but nothing comes up and I can't open it up to see data. I have tried numerous things....full of memories and pictures. Please help...
  3. External hard drive not being recognized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive not being recognized: MYBook external hard drive is not being recognized by my PC. What can I do? The power light is on but nothing comes up and I can't open it up to see data. I have tried numerous things....full of memories and pictures. Please help...
  4. External Hard Drive Stopped Being Detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Stopped Being Detected: Hi,Yesterday one of my hard drives stopped being detected. Restarting the PC didn't fix it. This is all the info I've gathered so far about the issue: Not an issue with the USB port that the drive is normally plugged into. I've plugged it into other ports - nothing. I've...
  5. External Hard Drive Stopped Being Detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Hard Drive Stopped Being Detected: Hi,Yesterday one of my hard drives stopped being detected. Restarting the PC didn't fix it. This is all the info I've gathered so far about the issue: Not an issue with the USB port that the drive is normally plugged into. I've plugged it into other ports - nothing. I've...
  6. External monitor not being recognized

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    External monitor not being recognized: Hi guys, I have an HP 8570w elitebook Win10 with a Nvidia K2000M graphics card. For years my Philips 274E 27'' monitor was working just fine. Since a month ago, I have no idea what happened but my monitor is not recognized. When I plug the display adapter, sometimes it works...
  7. External drive protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    External drive protection: I wish to protect my external hard drive with a password. Do you have any recommendations / methods that are not too complicated? Can you help please? Kind regards, Willo....
  8. EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EXTERNAL DRIVE NOT RECOGNIZED: After my laptop updated to Windows 10 version 1909, it no longer recognized my 1tb Toshiba Canvio external drive. I need help resolving this issue, because all of my school work and other important things are on the drive....
  9. External Drive No Longer Being Recognized

External Drive No Longer Being Recognized: I have been using an external drive with my computer for a while now, but lately my computer has been having difficulty recognizing that it is plugged in. I know for a fact that power is being given to the external drive because it lights up and I can feel it running....
  10. Hard drive stopped being recognized

Hard drive stopped being recognized: External USB drive stopped being recognized. I opened up the enclosure and connected it via SATA interface but still no cure. The drive is not shown on Disk Management. I tried different cable, different PC and different port. Is there a way to recover data in it? 105182