Windows 10: Password protected share able to access without authentication

Discus and support Password protected share able to access without authentication in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; We have configured samba with password protected share folders. The problem what we are facing is, due to windows caching authentication is not asking... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Naveenkumar A, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Password protected share able to access without authentication

We have configured samba with password protected share folders. The problem what we are facing is, due to windows caching authentication is not asking when we change the password .For example Share has been configured with user name and password, when we trying to access the share, authentication prompt is getting and able to access with configured user name and password. Once password has been modified, expected while trying to access the share, should ask authentication prompt and access only with modified password. But share was able to access without authentication prompt.

• On accessing samba share from ubuntu i don’t face any problems. Once we unmount the share after using it, it is prompting for username and password for the second time.
    • But in windows when I access samba share for the first time, second time it is not prompting for the username and password simply the samba shared is getting accessible.
    • I just want windows machine to ask password every time when the user closes the share, instead of doing “net use * /delete” every time, and we can’t request user to do this every time.
    • I tried below steps to disable windows cache , but still I am facing observing same behavior.

Click Start >Run > gpedit.msc

Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options

Set "Interactive Logon: Number of Previous Logins To Cache" value to ‘0’

Kindly let us know any way to fix this issue?

:)

Naveenkumar A, Dec 19, 2018
  2. DTG1 Win User

Cannot access shared network drive

Personally, I wouldnt use Everyone. If anyone hacks into you, they have full access to everything and can demolish everything on your raid. I would rather set up accounts and access separately for each person. That way, I know who did all that damage. In the end with a little extra work, I feel more secure by using Authenticated Users.

If this helps.
    step 1 create non-microsoft account and without email and address without admin rights
    step 2 share a drive or folder to specific user account (if Everyone is listed, remove it)
    step 3 set security > add Authenticated Users (if more than 1 account) or add specific users
    step 3a remove Everyone from list
    step 3b uncheck full control and write for all items listed except SYSTEM and Admin account.
    step 4 right click Start > Computer Management > System Tools > Shared Folders > Shares ... to verify settings and change anything else. You can also see the number of connections to each share here.

3. Network share ignores password protected sharing

I am trying to make a shared folder on my network that is only accessible to me and cannot be viewed by other users.When I create the share, no matter how I set permissions, the folder becomes accessible to everyone on the network. This is the case whether I use a homegroup or no homegroup, password protected sharing off or on. In fact, the only way to not have everyone able to access the share is to manually add a deny permission to Everyone.... and this of course results in nobody being able to access the share.

I am running Windows 10 Education. I have another PC running Windows 10 Home that works correctly with password protected sharing enabled.

gigabulloba, Dec 19, 2018
  4. lynxloco Win User

Password protected share able to access without authentication

Can't access shared folder with password protection on

As I said in the title I can't access a shared folder with password protection on but I can with password protection off.

Also I can't stop sharing, when I click the button to stop sharing nothing happens.

Thanks in advance.

lynxloco, Dec 19, 2018
Thema:

Password protected share able to access without authentication

1. Password protected share able to access without authentication - Similar Threads - Password protected share

2. Not able to turn on Memory Access Protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Not able to turn on Memory Access Protection: I am not able to see memory access protection turn on option.Kindly help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-able-to-turn-on-memory-access-protection/bed2cdc8-b642-4216-b4fb-bedfb0f44efb
  3. Cant access shared network files when password protected sharing is on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant access shared network files when password protected sharing is on: Hi allIm trying to share network files on my server with different rights to different users.This requires, if i understand it correctly that password protected sharing is on.But the problem is that when i turn it on i cant access the shared folder even if i enter the correct...
  4. Cant access shared network files when password protected sharing is on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant access shared network files when password protected sharing is on: Hi allIm trying to share network files on my server with different rights to different users.This requires, if i understand it correctly that password protected sharing is on.But the problem is that when i turn it on i cant access the shared folder even if i enter the correct...
  5. Password protected sharing over Network sharing

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password protected sharing over Network sharing: How can we turn on password protected sharing over Network sharing,thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/password-protected-sharing-over-network-sharing/635517ef-5d29-4e18-80f5-43c8896e6ac9"
  6. Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Cannot turn off the password protected sharing. The option for password protected sharing...: Hi support team I want to turn off the password protected sharing on my PC. So, the other users available on the same network can access my shared folder without entering any user credentials. To do that I entered into the Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and...
  7. password protected sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    password protected sharing: I can't turn it off. I know how it's supposed to work. I turn it off, click "save changes" but it doesn't turn off. I can't use the local users and groups snap in with my version of windows 10. I have tried the registry edit method mentioned elsewhere. That did not work....
  8. Network share ignores password protected sharing

Network share ignores password protected sharing: I am trying to make a shared folder on my network that is only accessible to me and cannot be viewed by other users.When I create the share, no matter how I set permissions, the folder becomes accessible to everyone on the network. This is the case whether I use a homegroup...
  9. Can't access shared folder with password protection on

Can't access shared folder with password protection on: As I said in the title I can't access a shared folder with password protection on but I can with password protection off. Also I can't stop sharing, when I click the button to stop sharing nothing happens. Thanks in advance. 43682
  10. Printer sharing without a password

Printer sharing without a password: I'm trying to help my sister remotely with her windows 10 desktop which has a printer connected to one of the USB ports. She wants to share this printer with a 2nd computer (also win10) on her network. So I set the printer to shared and gave it a sharing name. Then on the 2nd...