Windows 10: Pasting into Shortcuts

Discus and support Pasting into Shortcuts in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since a recent win 10 update, I can no longer drag and drop into a desktop shortcut and the 'paste' function no longer shows up in the desktop shortcut... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by emeth, May 14, 2017.

1. emeth Win User

Pasting into Shortcuts

Since a recent win 10 update, I can no longer drag and drop into a desktop shortcut and the 'paste' function no longer shows up in the desktop shortcut drop-down, (right-click) menu?

Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thank you

:)

emeth, May 14, 2017

2. pasting photo into document

I would like to take a photo in the form of an email attachment and paste it into a Word 16 document and have not been able to do so. SOS

Linda-1939, May 14, 2017
  3. pasting photo into document

Hi Linda,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "take a photo in the form of an email attachment and paste it into a Word 16 document", what exactly are you referring to?

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.
    Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, May 14, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Pasting into Shortcuts

Could you post a screenshot of your update history for reference so people understand which build you are using and the update you are referring to? Thanks.
    (Icon to the left of the video icon about your post 'Insert mage').

Do you mean for example this?

Pasting into Shortcuts [​IMG]

Here I've left clicked and dragged the right hand file on my desktop to the shortcut to a folder.

Or do you mean rt click and drag 'n drop - or both?

dalchina, May 14, 2017
  5. emeth Win User
    I believe it was Windows 10 Creators Update.

Cannot drop the MS Word file into the Desktop Shortcut.

emeth, May 14, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    See
    Cant drag and drop files in windows 10 Solved - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums
    and see if there's anything there that helps.

Else:

Please post a screenshot like this:

And please post one similar to mine.
    Here is what I did.
    1. left clicked the document, held the mouse down, dragged this to the folder shortcut.
    2. Still holding the mouse button, I used PrtSc to capture the whole desktop.
    (That's on a laptop- you'd need to do the equivalent on your desktop - or take a photo)
    3. Using (e.g.) Paint crop the image
    4. Post the image.

And please advise what happens with rt click. If you rt click and drag the doct to the shortcut folder, do you see options Copy.. Move.. when you release the mouse button?

Note: I've not yet seen a similar report.

Also please try both left and right click drag 'n drop in a file explorer view for comparison (not using the Desktop or the folder expressed as the desktop) using a shortcut to a different folder for test purposes and advise if it works.

dalchina, May 14, 2017
  7. emeth Win User
    This is the last update that would be applicable:
    Attachment 135155

As for the right click shortcut drop-down menu, as I have mentioned above, there is 'Cut' and 'Copy' but no 'Paste'.

Any item that normally would be able to be dropped into any short-cut, (no matter what folder it is in), this function no longer works.

emeth, May 14, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Pasting into Shortcuts

Hi, as before, first see this

Cant drag and drop files in windows 10 Solved - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums
    and see if there's anything there that helps.

Otherwise do these basic checks:
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

and from an admin command prompt run
    sfc /scannow

- I don't expect that to repair the problem, but it establishes a base line and is worth doing anyway from time to time.

(My guess at this point would normally be that you'd need to do an in-place upgrade repair install).

Now I still don't know what your build number is- or if you've upgraded to the CU. Your attachment link doesn't work.

Here is how to post a screenshot - use Option 1 please.
    How to Upload and Post Screenshots and Files at Ten Forums Windows 10 Tutorials

And please post the result of
    Windows key + R, winver

If you are using the CU, some people have reported conflicts with 3rd party programs that have not been updated.

Please check if drag 'n drop works in Safe Mode to avoid such programs starting.

dalchina, May 15, 2017
  9. emeth Win User
    All has been tried, however, I am still unable to drop a file into a desktop, (or any) shortcut unless I open the shortcut location first.

Apparently, (since I have always been able to do this even in Win 10), some action, (whether it be an update or program), has altered a, (presumably), Registry entry, (or shortcut property), that now prevents this action.

Further help would be very much appreciated!

emeth, May 21, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I don't know your Windows build or update history- your attachment in #5 in invalid.

(Use the Insert Image icon above your post - to the left of the video icon to post screenshots).

Do you have the same problem in a new user account (create one for test purposes)?

If so, then please try an in-place upgrade repair install.

(Tutorial in the Tutorial Section which you are free to browse and search) - and yes, keeps all programs and most settings).

However
    if your build number is 14393 (Anniversary Edition) you will need to either
    - use an iso or boot medium you already have
    or
    - be given a special URL to get the AU from.
    or
    - try upgrading to the Creator's edition using the latest ISO

dalchina, May 21, 2017
  11. emeth Win User
    Apparently I have Version 1703 Build 15063.296

I was hoping for a less dramatic fix as I have too much at stake for a repair install.

I would have thought that someone would have had the same problem if it was due to an update.

I am still hoping for a simple registry fix or a way to rebuild the shortcut properties.

emeth, May 21, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    You could try
    Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10 Windows 10 Customization Tutorials
    and use the one for lnk.

Whether this will help or not I can't say... you might be lucky!

Otherwise, perhaps you don't understand what an in-place upgrade repair install does.

It simply replaces Windows- all your programs and data remain untouched.
    So what do you fear losing? Hope you have full backups and disk images...

And please try this as I said before doing anything:
    Do you have the same problem in a new user account (create one for test purposes)?

Why? 'Cos if your user account does NOT show this problem, the problem is user account corruption, not Windows per se.

Naturally, we'd all like a precise targetted fix every time something goes wrong. That just doesn't always happen.However, someone might yet suggest something...or you might do some research and find a fix...

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Pasting into Shortcuts

1. Pasting into Shortcuts - Similar Threads - Pasting Shortcuts

2. Why does my copy and paste shortcut not work?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my copy and paste shortcut not work?: When I was playing a game, my copy and paste stopped working, and it sucks! I tried copy and pasting everywhere, and restarting my PC. It was working just a moment ago, so please help me fix this!...
  3. Why does my copy and paste shortcut not work?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my copy and paste shortcut not work?: When I was playing a game, my copy and paste stopped working, and it sucks! I tried copy and pasting everywhere, and restarting my PC. It was working just a moment ago, so please help me fix this!...
  4. my ctrl shortcut not working especially copy, past and save print , cut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my ctrl shortcut not working especially copy, past and save print , cut: my ctrl shortcut not working especially copy, past and save print , cut https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-ctrl-shortcut-not-working-especially-copy-past/30819cca-d8c2-4aa3-8018-6591d6092ef5
  5. my ctrl shortcut not working especially copy, past and save print , cut

my ctrl shortcut not working especially copy, past and save print , cut: my ctrl shortcut not working especially copy, past and save print , cut https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-ctrl-shortcut-not-working-especially-copy-past/30819cca-d8c2-4aa3-8018-6591d6092ef5
  6. after taking screenshot by using Shortcut and while pasting in paint 3d user is facing error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    after taking screenshot by using Shortcut and while pasting in paint 3d user is facing error: It shows something went wrong. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-taking-screenshot-by-using-shortcut-and/d7f40229-c00c-45fa-9605-a55717ca88b8
  7. after taking screenshot by using Shortcut and while pasting in paint 3d user is facing error

after taking screenshot by using Shortcut and while pasting in paint 3d user is facing error: It shows something went wrong. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-taking-screenshot-by-using-shortcut-and/d7f40229-c00c-45fa-9605-a55717ca88b8
  8. Is there a way to remap copy and paste shortcuts to a single key each without the use of...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to remap copy and paste shortcuts to a single key each without the use of...: Hello everyone. For work, I am being tasked with a project that will require me to copy and paste values from excel thousands of times. I was hoping to temporarily map copy and paste to individual keys to make the process that much faster than ctrl c and ctrl v. We are not...
  9. Is there a shortcut to paste multiple items from 'extended clipboard' without closing the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a shortcut to paste multiple items from 'extended clipboard' without closing the...: Is there a shortcut to paste multiple items from 'extended clipboard' without closing the window in between? Say I want to post 4 or 5 different items that I've saved to the clipboard, but I don't want to have to hit Win+V in between each one. I already know about holding...
  10. Is there a shortcut to paste multiple items from 'extended clipboard' without closing the...

Is there a shortcut to paste multiple items from 'extended clipboard' without closing the...: Is there a shortcut to paste multiple items from 'extended clipboard' without closing the window in between? Say I want to post 4 or 5 different items that I've saved to the clipboard, but I don't want to have to hit Win+V in between each one. I already know about holding...