Windows 10: Path environment variable empty after attempting to add new path

Discus and support Path environment variable empty after attempting to add new path in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; After trying to install ffmpeg using the guide in the link below, my path variable only includes the path to ffmpeg. I don't have any backups... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/yekemezek, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Path environment variable empty after attempting to add new path

After trying to install ffmpeg using the guide in the link below, my path variable only includes the path to ffmpeg. I don't have any backups whatsoever and have closed the command prompt and restarted ever since. Is there a way to find out what programs need their path to be included in the list? BTW, ever since this happened, any program I wanna install, tries to install it in C:\Users\Bob\AppData\Local. I don't have a problem with changing it to C:\Program files, but does this have any other side effects and how can I bring that installation path back to normal?

this is the guide: https://www.wikihow.com/Install-FFmpeg-on-Windows

submitted by /u/yekemezek
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/yekemezek, Jan 5, 2021
  2. MCK
    mck Win User

System environment variable won't stick

Running Win10 Home on an Acer Spin 3, 64bit, i7cpu. I try to add a path to the system environment variables by:

1. Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced tab > Environment variables

2. The "Environment Variables" window opens.
    3. In the "System Variables" pane I select "Path" and click the EDIT button.
    4. A list of the current system paths is displayed.
    5. I click the NEW button, browse to the path I want to add which is "C:\Python36-32" and click OK. The path "C:\Python36-32" is added to the list of current system paths.
    6. I click OK and am returned to the "Environment Variables" window.
    7. I click the "X" at the top right to close the "Environment Variables" window.

Now if I click the "Environment Variables" button again (end of step-1) and repeat steps 2-4, the new path I added in step-5 is gone. IOW, adding a new path won't stick.

What am I doing wrong?

3. ryanGus Win User
    How to edit the user path environment variable (not system path)

I need to edit the user path environment variable (not the
    system path), but it doesn't seem possible in any way. I have edited the user path before on another computer running Windows 7 by right clicking My Computer --> Advanced System Settings --> Environment Variables --> and editing the user path in the
    top dialog box (not the system path in the bottom dialog box). I tried the same thing in Windows 10 but "path" doesn't show up in the user environment variables dialog box, only TEMP and TMP show up.

I also tried searching for path after hitting the windows key and clicking "Edit environment variables for your account" but nothing happens when I click it. If I search for "path" when in Control Panel, I also get the option to click "Edit environment variables
    for your account" but again, nothing happens when I click it. I also tried running Regedit --> HKEY_CURRENT_USER --> Environment, but the same options of TEMP and TMP show up, with no "path" option. I have tried searching the web for hours trying to solve
    this problem but I can't find a solution. Is there any other way to change edit the user path? Is Microsoft actively trying to address this problem? I am running on Windows 10 version 1511 OS build 10586.104. I am the only user on this machine and I am the
    administrator.

ryanGus, Jan 5, 2021
  4. Path environment variable empty after attempting to add new path

Accidentally deleted the path of environment variables

I accidentally deleted the path of system environment variables, instead of editing it and adding a new one, in my Windows 10 Dell Laptop. I lost all the default variables that were there. How do I restore the previous variables? Please help

AishwaryaC, Jan 5, 2021
Thema:

Path environment variable empty after attempting to add new path

1. Path environment variable empty after attempting to add new path - Similar Threads - Path environment variable

2. Path from command prompt is different from Path in Environment Variables

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Path from command prompt is different from Path in Environment Variables: In Command Prompt, path command generates the following I add new-line to make more readable:ATH=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_192;C:\Python38\Scripts\;C:\Python38\;C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft...
  3. Path from command prompt is different from Path in Environment Variables

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Path from command prompt is different from Path in Environment Variables: In Command Prompt, path command generates the following I add new-line to make more readable:ATH=C:\Program Files\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_192;C:\Python38\Scripts\;C:\Python38\;C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft...
  4. Can't add to Path variable

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't add to Path variable: Win10 Pro 20H2 In the Sytem variables section of the System Properties dialogue I add a bona fide folder name, OK, then immediately it is as though I had done nothing. No denials, no objectons, just absent. 174240
  5. How to I properly add path of an executible to environment variables?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to I properly add path of an executible to environment variables?: I recently downloaded QEMU for Windows 10, which I stored in D:\qemu folder. I subsequently added that location to Path environment variable by clicking Edit -> New -> D:\qemu. And yet, when I run any qemu commands in powershell, it hits me with "is not a recognized command"...
  6. Multiple PATH environment variables

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multiple PATH environment variables: [ATTACH] There's a package that I want to install and it says in order to install it, it needs to be added to the PATH. Upon checking my environment variables, I noticed there are three of them as shown:...
  7. regarding path variable of user variable of environment variable

in Windows 10 Customization
    regarding path variable of user variable of environment variable: please help me fast, I accidentally deleted path variable of user variable ..... I want to restore it. the real situation is I cannot run android studio project and it shows error - " unable to start daemon process............This problem might be caused by incorrect...
  8. Setting path variable in Environment variables Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting path variable in Environment variables Windows 10: How can I stack up multiple path variables? Currently, it overwrites the old one when I try to edit. (I believe mindless updates are bad and updates should only happen when it is reasonably certain they will improve usability, and not just so that some people have a job.)...
  9. Automated modification of PATH environment variables

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Automated modification of PATH environment variables: The following archive contains scripts to safely edit the "Path" values in HKCU and HKLM. Useful to run after a new installation. path.7z New path inclusions are specified in "path.txt". Run "path.bat" to commit any changes. 103736
  10. Reset Java Environment Variable Path

in Windows 10 Support
    Reset Java Environment Variable Path: I had to restore my PC to factory settings because of a virus (maybe overkill, not sure) and reinstalled the Java JDK and editing the Environment Variable for Path. First try gave me this: [img] Second try gave me this (I can't remember how): [img] I'm trying...