Windows 10: Path to 'Documents' folder -- strange behavior

Discus and support Path to 'Documents' folder -- strange behavior in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; About three weeks ago I migrated from XP to Windows 10, putting all my personal folders that were in XP's 'My Documents' into Win10's 'Documents'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jfniss, Apr 11, 2016.

1. jfniss Win User

Path to 'Documents' folder -- strange behavior

About three weeks ago I migrated from XP to Windows 10, putting all my personal folders that were in XP's 'My Documents' into Win10's 'Documents' folder. The eBooks for my legacy eBook reader (MobiPocket) were in the XP folder 'My eBooks', which is now a sub-folder of Win10's 'Documents', and the eBook reader was set to find its files at "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\My eBooks". Also, in XP I wrote a batch file to backup documents to the USB memory (F:\), and I modified it in Win10 as follows:

Xcopy "C:\Users\Owner\Documents\*.*" "f:\JN Daily Backup\Documents" /c /h /s /i /y /q /d:%var2% [date I enter with the keyboard]
    Both the eBook reader and my batch file worked fine for about 10 days, and then yesterday both started returning "Path Not Found." When I looked in the File Explorer, 'Documents' was still there with 'My eBooks' as a sub-folder containing my eBooks. But then I noticed that 'Documents' was also a sub-folder of Win10's Downloads folder. I clicked on the Downloads\Documents folder, and everything seemed identical to the main folder Documents. I tried modifying a folder in one, and then found the modified file in the other. When I changed the path in my batch file and eBook reader to "C:\Users\Owner\Downloads\Documents\...", both started working again. As shown in the attached screenshot, there no longer is a Documents folder at C:\Users\Owner in the command prompt window, even though it's still there in the File Explorer.

What's going on? Will the path to 'Documents' keep changing?

:)

jfniss, Apr 11, 2016
  2. SantSys Win User

Opening Folders - Strange Behavior

It looks like this issue is only when accessing a folder from the "Quick Access" list. If that helps narrow it down... I've tried resetting settings, etc. Anything else to try??

SantSys, Apr 11, 2016
  3. Opening Folders - Strange Behavior

Hi,

Thank you for being part of the Windows 10 family.

Sorry to know that you are facing issues with the Windows 10.

In order to help you better, please provide the information:

Are you getting any error message?

Method 1: I suggest you to perform the system maintenance troubleshooter. It will resolve the common system problems.

1. Tap on Windows Key and click on search bar.
    2. Type “Troubleshooting” without the quotes and click on
    Troubleshooting.

3. Then click on System and Security.

4. Click on System Maintenance.

5. Click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.

If the issue still persist, refer to the below method.

Method 2: I suggest you to perform a System File Checker of the Computer and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key.

2. Then type “CMD” without the quotes and right click on it.

3. Select Run as Administrator.4. Then type”sfc /scannow” without
    the quotes and hit on Enter Key.

Method 3: I would suggest you to boot the Computer in Safe Mode and check if the issues is occurring or not. After following the below steps from the link. Under the options. Please select Safe Mode.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/change-startup-settings-in-windows-10#v1h=tab01

Hope it helps. Get back to us for further assistance on Windows related issues. We will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Apr 11, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Apr 11, 2016
  5. jfniss Win User
    Thanks. I've now read through the thread you suggested but didn's see any solution to my problem. It bothers me that Windows can start shuffling my personal folders around to places where I and my apps can't find them. I'm wondering whether I should move all my user files out of the Windows 10 system partition into another partition (D:/) on the same drive and then stop using the six Windows-created folders altogether. Maybe that way my folders will stay where I put them and only where I put them. Will I lose any useful Windows funcions if I do that?

jfniss, Apr 11, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    1. the principle of moving user data away from your Windows disk/partition is a very good one.
    - independence of Windows crashes
    - backups
    - defragmentation
    - size (e.g. think SSD until we get 8Tb SSDs at a good price..)
    2. you won't succeed in moving everything away
    3. not sure how Windows copes with that sort of change if
    a. you do an in-place upgrade repair install
    b. a major build upgrade
    You'd expect it should, of course.
    4. Those folders are typically filled with folders created by programs I've installed. That makes Doucuments 'Their Documents' and so on.

Personally, I leave them to get on with it.
    I create my own folders on another partition.
    'My files and folders'
    'My Photos'
    and so on.. and nothing else interferes with them.

Now, you can, of course, incorporate your own folders into the libraries- or create your own libraries.

The behaviour you've seen seems remarkably similar to the thread I quoted, so I thought perhaps you might try the ideas at the end of it.

dalchina, Apr 11, 2016
  7. essenbe Win User
    I have moved mine and upgraded a few times and it didn't bother it at all. I didn't move AppData though.

essenbe, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Path to 'Documents' folder -- strange behavior - Similar Threads - Path 'Documents' folder

2. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    strange behavior: in explorer i cant create "new folder".I can't type into search boxes in the usual way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-behavior/a4d18df8-6068-4cbd-8b3e-08b94dc85fdd
  3. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Gaming
    strange behavior: in explorer i cant create "new folder".I can't type into search boxes in the usual way. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/strange-behavior/a4d18df8-6068-4cbd-8b3e-08b94dc85fdd
  4. strange behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Behavior: [ATTACH] Windows Taskbar My Windows freezes and then my taskbar is replaced by the one above. This replacement "taskbar" is not accessible, and non of the task bar fixes I have tried off the internet will restore it. Only a system reboot restores the "original"...
  6. Strange Behavior

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Strange Behavior: Was browsing in Chrome, all of a sudden my scroll wheel on my mouse was disabled, and Windows was just making a clicking noise instead of scrolling the page. Closed everything, restarted, and got a weird blue screen asking if I wanted to Restore/Repair, etc. Restarted in...
  7. Robocopy WIndows 10 strange behavior. It will add the root to the path

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Robocopy WIndows 10 strange behavior. It will add the root to the path: Hi Every, I tried to run robocopy on cmd with run as administrator. robocopy '\\server\M Drive\SQL Data\" "E:\SQL Data\" I got an error. The path c:\windows\system32\\\server\M Drive\SQL Data\" does not find on source and c:\windows\system32\E:\SQL Data\ does not find...
  8. Strange users and folders in Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Strange users and folders in Documents: I've been struggling with this for months. I keep seeing two strange document folders and two users appear in my Windows 10 file system. If I delete them they reappear within a minute or so. I'm currently at 1903 with all current updates applied. I've noted that the bogus...
  9. A strange behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A strange behavior: Warning: The text of this question is made with Google Translate. I own a relatively new computer with Windows 10 Pro and Windows Insider Program. From the very beginning, every time I turn it on and reach the Windows lock screen, it does not detect any network connection,...
  10. strange behavior .....

in Windows 10 Support
    strange behavior .....: good morning I spent the weekend upgrading my PC's from win 7 to win 10. the 1st one had some issues after the upgrade, but most have been solved. 2 of the other 3 went fine and all seem to be working as expected. the last one, and the most important one, has lots of...