Windows 10: Pausing updates? So much for that. It's updating at boot, now again at shutdown

Discus and support Pausing updates? So much for that. It's updating at boot, now again at shutdown in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Three machines two of which are *not* MS pro so it's a constant battle with MS "DENIAL OF SERVICE" attacks with updates. Hours and hours and hours. So... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Richard Denney, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Pausing updates? So much for that. It's updating at boot, now again at shutdown

Three machines two of which are *not* MS pro so it's a constant battle with MS "DENIAL OF SERVICE" attacks with updates. Hours and hours and hours. So on my laptop, the updates are in theory paused until in November.

Today it ran updates when it booted, it's running updates as I try to shutdown and get going out of the house. PLUS, my working hours are clearly set, right now being one of the.

MS -- this is DENIAL OF SERVICE pure and simple. My machine. Let ME decide what happens to it.

I fear MS more than I do attacks from "bad guys"

:)

Richard Denney, Oct 29, 2020

2. Windows Update/Problems Pausing Updates

HI Larry,

With Windows 10, you have the option to plan updates around your busy schedule or pause them. We suggest that you follow the steps provided in this

article
    to schedule updates in Windows 10.

Let us know if you require any further assistance.

Anthony Gal, Oct 29, 2020
  3. malware Win User
    Alienware Area 51 m15x BIOS Update Released

If you were among the group of people experiencing overheating issues with your Alienware Area 51 m15x laptop, then there are some good news for you. A new BIOS update, version X29b P3A30 is now available. The update allegedly allows VGA fans to increase up to 5400 rpm and thus better cool the GPU. To obtain the new BIOS, you'll need to email the m15x support line (L: Area51_m15x@alienware.com). In reply you should receive a link to the BIOS .zip archive. Once you download the small file, Alienware recommends to follow the steps described in the Read full story marker.

Open Nero Ultra Edition, click Backup, and then click “Burn Image to Disc.” Next, select the file “m15x_x29b.iso from the unzipped folder.

• Plug your AC adapter in
    • Disconnect all third-party peripherals
    • Don’t turn off the computer or restart it during the update
    • Don’t eject your DVD/Blu-ray drive during the update.
    Steps:
    • Open BIOS by tapping F12 during boot
    • Set BIOS to boot from your CD-ROM drive first
    • Save and exit
    • Upon reboot, the BIOS flash update will proceed
    • Click “Yes” through the prompts
    • Restart
    Source: LAPTOP Magazine

malware, Oct 29, 2020
  4. Ian Ser Win User

Pausing updates? So much for that. It's updating at boot, now again at shutdown

How to shutdown WITHOUT updating?

Hi Troy,

I understand if Windows Updates have disrupted your business. Please do understand that these updates are needed to make sure that you're protected and have the latest features that you need to make your Windows 10 experience the best. What I can suggest
    for you is the following options so that the update installation won't affect your work.

Option 1: Schedule a restart or pause updates.

This option lets you schedule the restart for a more convenient time. Here are the steps:

1. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update.
    2. Select Schedule the restart and choose a time that's convenient for you.
    If you're on Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise,you can choose to temporarily pause updates from being downloaded and installed:

1. Select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security> Windows Update . Under Update settings, select Advanced options.
    2. Turn on Pause updates. Note: After a certain amount of time, or after canceling a pause, you'll need to install the latest updates before you can pause updates again.

Option 2: Set active hours to install updates.

This option advises Windows on what hours you're typically using the PC. Updates and restarts will not happen during these hours. Follow these steps:

1. Select the Start button, select Settings> Update & security> Windows Update, then select Change active hours.
    2. Choose the start time and end time for active hours, and then select Save.

Do let me know if there's anything else you need or if you have further questions.

Ian Ser, Oct 29, 2020
Thema:

Pausing updates? So much for that. It's updating at boot, now again at shutdown

1. Pausing updates? So much for that. It's updating at boot, now again at shutdown - Similar Threads - Pausing updates much

2. PAUSE UPDATES ****!!!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PAUSE UPDATES ****!!!: WINDOWS 11 > SETTINGS > WINDOWS UPDATE > MORE OPTIONS > PAUSE UPDATES "GET THE LATEST UPDATES TO PAUSE AGAIN" Is this button supposed to change when updates are paused, or is that only reflected in the windows heading? I'm seeing the button constantly shows "Pause Updates",...
  3. PAUSE UPDATES ****!!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PAUSE UPDATES ****!!!: WINDOWS 11 > SETTINGS > WINDOWS UPDATE > MORE OPTIONS > PAUSE UPDATES "GET THE LATEST UPDATES TO PAUSE AGAIN" Is this button supposed to change when updates are paused, or is that only reflected in the windows heading? I'm seeing the button constantly shows "Pause Updates",...
  4. Windows Updates Paused but not Paused?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Updates Paused but not Paused?: Hi everyone, I have been on windows trying to fix this issue and I think I made it worse. Resume updates was not showing as an option so I tried a few "fixes" and this happened:As you can see, the top area says that Windows update is unpaused, while the other areas say...
  5. Paused Update, now Windows Fails when it tries to update.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Paused Update, now Windows Fails when it tries to update.: Edition Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 Installed on 1/‎17/‎2021 OS build 19042.867 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0 - - - - - - - - - - -I paused Windows Update last March for 7 days. Apparently it didn't restart after the 7 days. I saw the news about...
  6. Update Pause

in Windows 10 Customization
    Update Pause: How do I cancel or de select and update pause https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/update-pause/9c8a032f-07d5-4bcb-952f-6a15477088d4
  7. Pause Updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Pause Updates: In the new update there is a feature to "PAUSE UPDATES" with no option to turn this off. I for one do not need to pause my updates I like to install them as they are released....
  8. Pause Updates Not Pausing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Pause Updates Not Pausing: My Windows 10 1903 updated itself on June 29 th. At that point I chose to pause updates until sometime in August. Today, July 10, it tried to update itself again completely ignoring my pause request. Did I do something wrong or is this a bug? Thank you. 136354
  9. Pausing updates

Pausing updates: First the question, then the background. I'm on Windows 10, build 1703, kb15063.786. I turned on the Pause update option. What exactly will this stop? Namely, will this prevent build 1709 from downloading and updating, and for how long? The background: I was on...
  10. Update and Shutdown Still Updates on Boot

Update and Shutdown Still Updates on Boot: I manage several PC's in an office environment and staff have been complaining that their PC's are taking 10-15 minutes in the morning to update after they chose the "update and shutdown" option the night before, Is there any way to ensure this does not happen? 79930