Windows 10: PC always boots to BIOS (SSD dead / dying)

Discus and support PC always boots to BIOS (SSD dead / dying) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I left my Windows 10 Pro PC alone for an hour or two a couple of nights ago. When I came back to it it had frozen. Totally unresponsive (but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RostokMcSpoons, Dec 30, 2019.

1. PC always boots to BIOS (SSD dead / dying)

Hi,

I left my Windows 10 Pro PC alone for an hour or two a couple of nights ago. When I came back to it it had frozen. Totally unresponsive (but screen still displaying). I can't remember if I just used the power button to switch off, or actually turned it off at the PSU, but I powered it down.
    I came back to it yesterday, and it always boots to BIOS. Everything looked unchanged there.

Luckily I had my USB stick with the Windows installation media on it, so I tried...

1) Startup repair - 'diagnosing PC' took > 1 hour, didn't work
    2) Command prompt, BOOTREC /FIXMBR (success!), BOOTREC /FIXBOOT (success!) - didn't actually work
    3) Command prompt, examined directory structures... c:\ was my old d:\, d:\ was my old e:\ etc etc... the C: drive has disappeared. Trying to look at F: caused it to hang, had to force power off.

The main problem is the System Repair utility takes 20-30 minutes to go from 'Windows logo loading screen' through to 'Choose your language'... each step through the user interface dialogs takes forever (well 20-30 minutes) to load. It looks like the dead / dying drive prevents normal functioning... if I unplug the drive then everything works fine, and I can skip through the different screens without a problem. If there's *only* the malfunctioning drive (Sandisk 120gb) plugged in, then I get a black screen hang after the Windows loading screen.
    It's disappointing (to say the least) that the utility can be brought to its knees by the very thing it's there to fix!

I might have a system restore point that I could try, but I'm thinking the SSD has died on me, and if I can't view the drive contents at all it does feel rather terminal. Is it worth going through the 60-90 minutes it would take to get to the appropriate screen in System Repair?

I've got a new SSD on order, so I can bin the old one and re-install windows, but ... you know ... arggh.
    Is there anything else I should try?

Any thoughts much appreciated PC always boots to BIOS (SSD dead / dying) :)

:)

RostokMcSpoons, Dec 30, 2019

2. PC always boots to BIOS (SSD dead / dying)

Hi,

I left my Windows 10 Pro PC alone for an hour or two a couple of nights ago. When I came back to it it had frozen. Totally unresponsive (but screen still displaying). I can't remember if I just used the power button to switch off, or actually turned it off at the PSU, but I powered it down.
    I came back to it yesterday, and it always boots to BIOS. Everything looked unchanged there.

Luckily I had my USB stick with the Windows installation media on it, so I tried...

1) Startup repair - 'diagnosing PC' took > 1 hour, didn't work
    2) Command prompt, BOOTREC /FIXMBR (success!), BOOTREC /FIXBOOT (success!) - didn't actually work
    3) Command prompt, examined directory structures... c:\ was my old d:\, d:\ was my old e:\ etc etc... the C: drive has disappeared. Trying to look at F: caused it to hang, had to force power off.

The main problem is the System Repair utility takes 20-30 minutes to go from 'Windows logo loading screen' through to 'Choose your language'... each step through the user interface dialogs takes forever (well 20-30 minutes) to load. It looks like the dead / dying drive prevents normal functioning... if I unplug the drive then everything works fine, and I can skip through the different screens without a problem. If there's *only* the malfunctioning drive (Sandisk 120gb) plugged in, then I get a black screen hang after the Windows loading screen.
    It's disappointing (to say the least) that the utility can be brought to its knees by the very thing it's there to fix!

I might have a system restore point that I could try, but I'm thinking the SSD has died on me, and if I can't view the drive contents at all it does feel rather terminal. Is it worth going through the 60-90 minutes it would take to get to the appropriate screen in System Repair?

I've got a new SSD on order, so I can bin the old one and re-install windows, but ... you know ... arggh.
    Is there anything else I should try?

Any thoughts much appreciated PC always boots to BIOS (SSD dead / dying) :)

RostokMcSpoons, Jan 6, 2020
  3. PC always boots to BIOS (SSD dead / dying)

Thanks for the tip but we're waaaaaaaay beyond that. It's a dead SSD, nothing less.

4. PC always boots to BIOS (SSD dead / dying)

PC always boots to BIOS (SSD dead / dying)

No, but I can just open her case and plug it in... are SSD's hot-swappable these days? I can't remember. I'd just connect it in when it's off, to be safe.

Ah, yes I did see the list of connected SATA drives in BIOS, but at the time I wasn't sure which one would've been my system drive. I'll check later (I'm at work at the moment, away from the PC in question).

Pretty sure the mobo battery is ok as the rest of my BIOS settings looked correct. But I'll check.

I've got an M.2 SSD on order, arriving tomorrow, so I'll be set for a fresh install if need be

Thanks for the help so far PC always boots to BIOS (SSD dead / dying) :) I'll report back tonight or tomorrow after I've meddled with it later!

Thema:

PC always boots to BIOS (SSD dead / dying)

1. PC always boots to BIOS (SSD dead / dying) - Similar Threads - always boots BIOS

2. No option to boot from SSD in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No option to boot from SSD in BIOS: Hi.Recently I installed a 128GB SSD in my HP Pavillion gaming 15 ec009ax which earlier only had 1TB HDD installed. I migrated the Windows from HDD to SSD using the mini tool partition wizard but I can not set the SSD as the boot device in the BIOS. It only shows the HDD as...
  3. No option to boot from SSD in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No option to boot from SSD in BIOS: Hi.Recently I installed a 128GB SSD in my HP Pavillion gaming 15 ec009ax which earlier only had 1TB HDD installed. I migrated the Windows from HDD to SSD using the mini tool partition wizard but I can not set the SSD as the boot device in the BIOS. It only shows the HDD as...
  4. Dead Macbook's SSD for Windows PC

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dead Macbook's SSD for Windows PC: I have a dead Macbook Air and have removed the M.2 ssd. Can I use it for my windows PC attaching to Motherboard which has a spare m.2 slot. (for extra storage and not OS) If yes, what are the steps I need to follow? Please help submitted by /u/vikrant_ [link]...
  5. SSD either dead/dying or messed up. Please help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD either dead/dying or messed up. Please help: Bought a used SSD some 2 months ago and it was fine on all health testing apps like Disk Sentinel etc, and it worked perfectly fine until now. This morning out of nowhere, it started maxing out 100% usage, and my PC became barely usable even though this is a secondary drive...
  6. SSD not showing in BIOS Boot Menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    SSD not showing in BIOS Boot Menu: Hello everyone, my laptop came with windows installed in HDD. I decided to buy SSD and install Windows in it. With the help of USB boot device, I formatted the hard drive and installed Windows on SSD, but forgot to format the reserved partition of HDD. Now SSD doesn't show up...
  7. PC always boots to BIOS, is my SSD dead or is there more I can try?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC always boots to BIOS, is my SSD dead or is there more I can try?: Hi, I left my Windows 10 Pro PC alone for an hour or two a couple of nights ago. When I came back to it it had frozen. Totally unresponsive but screen still displaying. I can't remember if I just used the power button to switch off, or actually turned it off at the PSU, but...
  8. Is my PC dead? Power ON, NO Boot, NO BIOS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is my PC dead? Power ON, NO Boot, NO BIOS: Hi all, Is my old laptop dead? Recently my old Sony Vaio (VPCEA3S1E) has had booting problems. It powers on, the fan runs steady for about 5 seconds, after the 5 seconds the fan starts to speed up until my machine turns off completely. I am unable to get into my BIOS, my...
  9. SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS: I recently cloned my system to my SSD (laptop crashed, when it got fixed windows was installed on my hard drive instead, but laptop came with SSD). I am trying to set it as the boot option in BIOS, but it isn't appearing. The SSD is working fine normally, as I said I...
  10. Dead/dying laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Dead/dying laptop: I have a 7 year old HP laptop that has been totally bomb-proof, until yesterday. The cooling fan had been getting a bit noisy, and yesterday it finally locked up. Windows would not run without the cooling fan operating. I ordered a new fan overnight, and this afternoon I...