Windows 10: PC and laptop KVM setup

Discus and support PC and laptop KVM setup in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a PC which I use two DVI-D monitors connected to the GPU. I also have a mouse, keyboard, and 3DConnexion space navigator connected to the PC. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by jbtechsolutions, Jun 7, 2017.

1. PC and laptop KVM setup

I have a PC which I use two DVI-D monitors connected to the GPU. I also have a mouse, keyboard, and 3DConnexion space navigator connected to the PC. I currently run WIndows 10 and use it for Mechanical drafting in AutoCAD, and Inventor.
    I have a customer who wants to give me a laptop which will be used to VPN into their network and I will be running Solidworks from it to do drafting/design work.

I need some assistance with the hardware and setup. I was thinking of using a docking station or KVM to connect my monitors, mouse, keyboard, and USB 3D space navigator to both the PC and the Laptop, so I can control either from the same dual monitor setup.

My problem is I have not found a KVM that is really DVI-D dual monitor capable and has the extra USB ports for my space mouse.

I thought of maybe using a docking station to connect the laptop to and then run to a KVM from there.

Any thoughts on how to set this up? what hardware and/or connections should I use?

:)

jbtechsolutions, Jun 7, 2017

2. Audio Issue

Kapil:

Got my issue resolved. I disconnected my entire audio setup from KVM switch (both computers). I then reseated all the connections at the sub-woofer and cables to the KVM switch and I now have sound on my Windows 10 box! I had re-seated the connections
    for the speakers to the KVM switch but not the connections to the individual PCs.

Thanks for your help.

JohnnyWilliamsGA, Jun 7, 2017
  3. Microsoft Sculpt Mouse in Windows 10 Stops Working Randomly All The Time

I have an HP Envoy 810 and see the same problem.

I have a KVM switch in between with a home built PC as wekk as a Toshiba laptop and they have know issues with the random response lockups.

I know the keyboard is still working with the KVM switch as I am able to use keystrokes to move between PC's.

In fact if I change to one of the PC's and then come back to the 810 it works for a little while and then stops.

Microsoft any status in the issue ????

rmurphy007, Jun 7, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

PC and laptop KVM setup

I also have not found a suitable DVI KVM switch so am staying with VGA for my 4 Desktops [one needs a DVI to VGA adapter]. An issue with Notebooks is not many, if any, have DVI ports, newer ones don't even have VGA, have gone with HDMI or DisplayPort, apparently all in the name of thinner and lighter.

Berton, Jun 7, 2017
  5. So what setup do you suggest?

6. Berton Win User
    The only way I see it usable for me is just to use the Notebook/Laptop as is or if room permits attach its own large monitor. Not only is the DVI part of the issue but so is the dual-monitor setup. I might peruse some of the high-power gamers sites for suggestions, they drive a lot of the technology needs of the last several years [bigger/better/faster, etc.].

Berton, Jun 7, 2017
  7. I think I am going to attempt to find a KVM that supports one DVI-D connected monitor and set it up this way...

Main PC monitor 1 connection to KVM
    Laptop monitor connection to KVM

When I switch to the Main PC I should have dual screen,
    When I switch to the Laptop I will have one screen usable and the other will be showing whatever the Main PC has on Monitor 2.

That should at least give me a way to utilize my current setup and add the Laptop when needed.

8. PC and laptop KVM setup

jbtechsolutions, Jun 10, 2017
  9. batlhilz Win User
    batlhilz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

PC and laptop KVM setup

1. PC and laptop KVM setup - Similar Threads - laptop KVM setup

2. Issue with a KVM switch

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issue with a KVM switch: Hello, This is an odd one. I am currently using a KVM switch. Both computers are running Windows 11. Here is my set up: Monitors are 2 4K monitorsMonitor 1: M28U Monitor 2: Asus Predator something Computer 1: Desktop Graphics Card 3080 TIComputer 2: Microsoft Surface Laptop...
  3. Issue with a KVM switch

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issue with a KVM switch: Hello, This is an odd one. I am currently using a KVM switch. Both computers are running Windows 11. Here is my set up: Monitors are 2 4K monitorsMonitor 1: M28U Monitor 2: Asus Predator something Computer 1: Desktop Graphics Card 3080 TIComputer 2: Microsoft Surface Laptop...
  4. KVM not recognizing PC1 monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    KVM not recognizing PC1 monitor: I have a kvm for my work laptop and home desktop. When I switch to home desktop pc2, the monitors work fine. When I switch to the work laptop pc1, one of the monitors occasionally doesn’t register it’s always the same monitor that does not register. Typically, unplugging...
  5. Windows 10 / 7 disabling monitor autodetect for a two monitor setup with a KVM switch

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 / 7 disabling monitor autodetect for a two monitor setup with a KVM switch: Hi. I just got a new desktop computer to replace my 10 year-old desktop and I'm having the same autodetect problem in Win 10 as I did with Win 7 many years ago. I have two monitors with a DVI KVM switch and when I switch away from my Win 10 computer, the windows and icons...
  6. Laptop Setup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop Setup: I purchased the Lenovo Ideapad 5 and while the laptop setup, when I logged in with my Microsoft Id, the screen got stuck. The laptop is not shutting down as well. How do you fix it?...
  7. Belkin soho KVM

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Belkin soho KVM: I hope someone can help me......setting up a Belkin soho KVM but the windows 10 pc is reading it as a generic PnP monitor. I have tried updating the firmware but when the KVM is put into setup mode the pc Belkin software does not find it when searching. would anyone have any...
  8. Virtual KVM?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Virtual KVM?: Does anyone know if there is such thing as a virtual KVM with the following simple feartures. 1) Requires hardware (like a KVM) 2) The screens are windows rather than taking up a full monitor. I understand RDP and TeamViewer do these things however they require software...
  9. Picture shrinkage with KVM

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Picture shrinkage with KVM: I have a minor annoyance I’m hoping someone might be able to help me with. I have a 4 switch KVM (Rosewill PKV-4UC) switching an ASUS VE278H 27” monitor between, at a minimum, My main system call it System #1, (ASUS MB) and my main Test setup, call it System #2, (Gigabite...
  10. Picture shrinkage with KVM

in Windows 10 Support
    Picture shrinkage with KVM: I have a minor annoyance I’m hoping someone might be able to help me with. I have a 4 switch KVM (Rosewill PKV-4UC) switching an ASUS VE278H 27” monitor between, at a minimum, My main system call it System #1, (ASUS MB) and my main Test setup, call it System #2, (Gigabite...