Windows 10: PC Black screening and becoming unresponsive

Discus and support PC Black screening and becoming unresponsive in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, My PC has been black screening for awhile during games and I don't know the solution. It does this during games, but windows also sometimes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SJLgamers, Jan 3, 2021.

1. SJLgamers Win User

PC Black screening and becoming unresponsive

Hello,

My PC has been black screening for awhile during games and I don't know the solution.

It does this during games, but windows also sometimes becomes unresponsive in which the only solution is to manually turn off the PC.

I'm using an Inno3d RTX 3070 chill x3, a ryzen 3700x, a cooler master 850w power supply, and an ASRock B450 steel legend.

Dump file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlXbk5vZ8rUNnzvT2OmYjIEaTomY?e=7pgCXU Minidump

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlXbk5vZ8rUNnzzY7XUsTWq-3ROd?e=1tUxcg MEMORY.DMP

Information according to whocrashed:

Crash dump directories:
    C:\Windows
    C:\Windows\Minidump

On Sun 20-12-2020 13:52:19 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122020-10015-01.dmp
    This was probably caused by the following module: amdppm.sys amdppm+0x2ec7
    Bugcheck code: 0x133 0x1, 0x1E00, 0xFFFFF8064FAFA320, 0x0
    Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
    file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\amdppm.sys
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
    company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: Processor Device Driver
    Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs thermal issue.
    The crash took place in a Microsoft module. The description of the module may give a hint about a non responding device in the system.

On Sun 20-12-2020 13:52:19 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
    This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys nvlddmkm+0xca5fb
    Bugcheck code: 0x133 0x1, 0x1E00, 0xFFFFF8064FAFA320, 0x0
    Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
    file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_a51067c0ac557884\nvlddmkm.sys
    product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.89
    company: NVIDIA Corporation
    description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.89
    Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs thermal issue.
    A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.89 , NVIDIA Corporation.
    Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 460.89 , NVIDIA Corporation

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

My Nvidia drivers and AMD chipset are all up to date so I don't know how it could possibly be this.

:)

SJLgamers, Jan 3, 2021

2. Frequent black screen/unresponsive requiring hard boot

Hi,

Please provide more information to help you better:

• Are you getting black screen before sign in or after sign in?
    • Have you made any changes to your computer prior to this issue?
    • Have you installed all the pending Windows updates?

I suggest you to follow the steps form the below article for “Black Screen” issues and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot black screen problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/troubleshoot-black-screen-problems

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Jan 3, 2021
  3. Olivia_hh Win User
    windows 10 black screen after update and after leaving PC to sleep?

I've tried the steps you suggested but they don't seem to work. The black screen I'm facing is only when i try to shut down or leave my PC to sleep and its completely unresponsive no cursor or anything. I've tried things others have suggested but they don't
    seem to work, Is there anything else?

Thanks for your help so far!

Olivia_hh, Jan 3, 2021
  4. PC Black screening and becoming unresponsive

Black screen error

Hello,

There are several reasons why you are facing a black screen issue. One of these is due to outdated or incorrect device drivers. For us to figure out what's causing this, provide more details by answering the listed questions:

• Can you confirm to us if you are using a laptop or a computer?
    • Have you made any recent changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • What exactly were you doing when the error occurred?
    • Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve this? If yes, specify all of the steps that you have done.

As an initial part of troubleshooting, we suggest following the steps given on this article:

Troubleshoot black screen or blank screen errors
    . This will help you diagnose and rectify most of the known black screen concerns.

We will wait for your response.

Dhavelyn Mer, Jan 3, 2021
Thema:

PC Black screening and becoming unresponsive

1. PC Black screening and becoming unresponsive - Similar Threads - Black screening becoming

2. PC Becomes Unresponsive On Startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Becomes Unresponsive On Startup: Hello!Recently I had a problem with my Windows not updating from 10 vers. 1909 to vers. 22H2 and have tried a number of fixes that have led me to believe that there is a physical issue with my motherboard. However, I had the idea of transferring my SSD to a friend's PC, have...
  3. PC Becomes Unresponsive On Startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Becomes Unresponsive On Startup: Hello!Recently I had a problem with my Windows not updating from 10 vers. 1909 to vers. 22H2 and have tried a number of fixes that have led me to believe that there is a physical issue with my motherboard. However, I had the idea of transferring my SSD to a friend's PC, have...
  4. PC Becomes Unresponsive On Startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. PC Becomes unresponsive and goes to black screen

PC Becomes unresponsive and goes to black screen: Sometimes when gaming on my custom built PC it will go to a black screen and the fans will ramp up to 100%. I have to turn my PSU on and off because the keyboard, mouse, and power button are unresponsive. This mostly only happens when playing intensive games and i already...
  6. PC becomes unresponsive

PC becomes unresponsive: My computer randomly becomes unresponsive, the mouse locks up, the audio drops out, and the machine itself makes a buzzing/grinding noise not from the speakers. Without any user input the machine corrects itself and goes back to normal operation. I have updated my drivers,...
  7. Computer screen going black and computer becoming unresponsive, however computer is not...

Computer screen going black and computer becoming unresponsive, however computer is not...: Hello, As of last month my computer has been randomly, without a known cause, turning the screen off and becoming unresponsive. The USB's from my belief turn off however the computer stays on, the LED's on the motherboard still stay on and to top it off I have to manually...
  8. PC becomes unresponsive, any help?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC becomes unresponsive, any help?: So basically I've been doing fine on this PC then recently since this Sunday. Anytime I play low-performance games I don't have a problem but when I paly a high-performance game my screen will freeze on that game and if I manage to Alt + Tab out the other windows are also...
  9. PC becomes unresponsive?

PC becomes unresponsive?: So basically I've been doing fine on this PC then recently since this Sunday. Anytime I play low-performance games I don't have a problem but when I paly a high-performance game my screen will freeze on that game and if I manage to Alt + Tab out the other windows are also...
  10. Laptop screen turns black when left idle and becomes unresponsive.

Laptop screen turns black when left idle and becomes unresponsive.: Laptop scrres turns black when i leave it idle for a while after using it then the screen turns unresponsive. All i get is a black screen and nothing works. The knlo way i can use it again is if I shut it down using the power button and then switch it back on. Its happened...