Windows 10: PC cannot get past startup/reset/restore

Discus and support PC cannot get past startup/reset/restore in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So after a recent Win 10 update my laptop became slower and slower until disk usage maxed out at 100%. I followed the usual troubleshooting tutorials,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dannoh50, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Dannoh50 Win User

PC cannot get past startup/reset/restore

So after a recent Win 10 update my laptop became slower and slower until disk usage maxed out at 100%. I followed the usual troubleshooting tutorials, used the Media Creation tool which failed to reinstall Windows 10, ran chkdsk, scannow, and DISM restorehealth and the troubleshooter inside Settings. The troubleshooter for Windows Update managed to improve the disk usage issue, but I still cannot download the latest windows update.

After running chkdsk for an entire day, where it became stuck at 100%, I can no longer get past startup. I have tried system restore, system reset (keeping files and wiping the entire drive), but it's just not working. At this point my computer is useless. It seems like the reset partially worked, since my font has been restored to factory size. But I still cannot boot up my laptop. It gets past the Lenovo logo and then goes to a black screen, where you can see the cursor if you move it and it occasionally changes to the blue loading circle. I have a Lenovo Flex that's about 3 years old.

Would really appreciate some insight! Thanks.

:)

Dannoh50, Jan 1, 2019
  2. Avedis53 Win User

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Jan 1, 2019
  3. John Ado Win User
    Reseting my PC

Hi Parker,

Recovery media is a backup tool that contains the Windows OS or your own system image backup to restore your system at any point. Learn more about it

here

If you are still experiencing the issue, we suggest that you reset your computer from the advanced startup screen. To do this, follow these steps:

• Go to Settings and select Update & security.
    • Choose Recovery then click Restart Now under
      Advanced startup.
    • Select Troubleshoot from the options.
    • Click Reset this PC.
    • Select whether you want to Keep your files or Remove everything.

Let us know how it goes.

John Ado, Jan 1, 2019
  4. IggSter Win User

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

1. PC cannot get past startup/reset/restore - Similar Threads - cannot past startup

2. Cannot get past sign in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot get past sign in: I have been unable to sign into my computer.. did a restore and a reset but seems to be the Microsoft sign in and won’t even let me change user https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-get-past-sign-in/79d10603-eeb4-4b67-9772-2f888df2738f
  3. Cannot get past sign in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Cannot get past sign in: I have been unable to sign into my computer.. did a restore and a reset but seems to be the Microsoft sign in and won’t even let me change user https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-get-past-sign-in/79d10603-eeb4-4b67-9772-2f888df2738f
  4. Cannot get past sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. PC will not move past startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC will not move past startup: I have a Gateway laptop that gets stuck at the end of the startup screen right after showing that 365 is already installed on the computer. When I turn it off and restart it goes back and makes me go through the whole startup process again only to get stuck on the blue...
  6. PC will not move past startup

PC will not move past startup: I have a Gateway laptop that gets stuck at the end of the startup screen right after showing that 365 is already installed on the computer. When I turn it off and restart it goes back and makes me go through the whole startup process again only to get stuck on the blue...
  7. PC will not move past startup

in Cortana
  8. Cannot reset pc whatsoever after system restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot reset pc whatsoever after system restore: This has been happened to me mutiple times but this has to be the worst. My restore point always boots me to BSOD after complete and stucks at 100%. I always managed to reset my pc but not this time, now cloud downlaod and local reinstall don’t work anymore and my last hope...
  9. Cannot reset pc whatsoever after system restore

Cannot reset pc whatsoever after system restore: This has been happened to me mutiple times but this has to be the worst. My restore point always boots me to BSOD after complete and stucks at 100%. I always managed to reset my pc but not this time, now cloud downlaod and local reinstall don’t work anymore and my last hope...
  10. After Reset, Cannot get past "Link your phone and PC"

in Windows 10 Support
    After Reset, Cannot get past "Link your phone and PC": Have a Lenovo Notebook. Had Insider Preview 17063. Needed to do a Reset and now its stuck on "After Reset, Cannot get past "Link your phone and PC". I send a text to my cell phone and when I click on it, it opens to Edge browser app which was already installed. I'm signed...