Windows 10: PC can't wake from sleep unless I unplug attached USB devices

Discus and support PC can't wake from sleep unless I unplug attached USB devices in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi all, My computer was working just fine until few weeks ago. When it goes into sleep mode, either by itself, or by pressing the sleep button, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by petecjs, Nov 4, 2019.

1. petecjs Win User

PC can't wake from sleep unless I unplug attached USB devices

Hi all,

My computer was working just fine until few weeks ago. When it goes into sleep mode, either by itself, or by pressing the sleep button, it can't wake up like it usually would - hitting the keyboard or moving the mouse. It can't wake up even if I press the power button or turn the AC supply off and on. The only thing that cause it to come on is if I unplug the USBs that are plugged in. It doesn't just wake up from sleep, but reboots from BIOS.

Most of the time, unplugging the USB Wifi adapter will turn the PC on. But sometimes that doesn't work, I have to unplug the wireless keyboard USB. Rarely, unplugging the thumbdrive does the trick.

When I put it to sleep with all USBs removed, it doesn't go to sleep but reboots immediately.

I've tried updating Windows, updating BIOS, clean boot, sfc /scannow - nothing works.

Under powercfg /systempowerreport, I realize whenever I press sleep, the system goes into Standby, then immediately does an Abnormal Shutdown.

Shutdown and Restart functions are normal.

I do not want to reinstall Windows

:)

petecjs, Nov 4, 2019

2. Troubleshooting PCs spontaneously waking from sleep

I've also battled with sleep/wake issues over the years, and from experience have learned that trying to find, or rationalise, the root cause is a waste of time. All you need is `powercfg`.

`powercfg -devicequery wake_armed` from an Administrator PowerShell window/Command Prompt will give you a list of all devices that can possibly wake the PC. This command is interesting because very often, it will show devices that you'd never expect being able to wake your computer. I think in one instance I had the chipset device listed!

`powercfg -devicedisablewake "device_name_from_device_query"`will prevent said device from ever waking the computer. This command is 100% the only thing I have found that will resolve sleep/wake problems. Updating drivers, unplugging peripherals, switching to a cleaner power supply (UPS), changing ethernet cables... none of those have helped, yet`powercfg -devicedisablewake` has done the trick.

Note that occasionally, devices you have disabled wake for may start waking up the PC again - this happens if you plug a USB device into a different port, or occasionally when drivers are updated, because Windows sees it as a new device. In that case rerun `powercfg` to find and disable that device again.

If this does not resolve your wake issues, I would start looking at power fluctuations.

Assimilator, Nov 4, 2019
  3. Valantar Win User
    Troubleshooting PCs spontaneously waking from sleep

First off: I tried disabling wake-up by the mouse on both PCs and disabling USB Selective Suspend too, to no avail.
    Thanks, I'll definitely look into that. Good to know that powercfg can list all wake-enabled devices, 'cause when I went through all ... eight-ish PCI-to-PCI bridge devices in Device Manager, none of them had wake events listed (in the "events" tab under Properties), which doesn't quite add up with one/more of them waking the PC a dozen or so times over the last few days. Of course, they don't even have the option to enable/disable waking the PC in the properties menu. I'll take a look at disabling a bunch of stuff through powercfg once I get home from work.

Sorry if I came across as rude, but honestly, your reply did not at all indicate that you'd read my post in the first place. I said I'd been looking at wake-up history in the Windows event log, and I listed several of the devices cited there as having woken up the PC. If you came away with the impression that I hadn't investigated this thoroughly, I suppose I might not have been clear enough, but it's all there in the post. While powercfg does give out some more detail (device IDs and such) than Event Viewer, it only lists the last wake-up, and as such doesn't really help in this instance, as it's clearly not a single device at fault, and tracking wake-ups over time seems more useful. Also, figuring out how to view wake-up events in the Event Log is what you do after you've concluded that powercfg isn't giving you enough information *Wink PC can't wake from sleep unless I unplug attached USB devices ;)

Valantar, Nov 4, 2019
  4. Stevveee Win User

Desktop won't wake up from hibernation with USB devices plugged in

I tried searching this issue but couldn't find any solutions. For some reason my desktop won't wake up from hibernation unless all the USB devices are unplugged. Never had this problem before Windows 10. Any suggestions?

Stevveee, Nov 4, 2019
Thema:

1. PC can't wake from sleep unless I unplug attached USB devices - Similar Threads - can't wake sleep

2. Prevent Windows from unpluging USB devices on sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prevent Windows from unpluging USB devices on sleep: I'm running Windows 10 [0] via Apple Boot Camp on a 2016 Macbook Pro. I have display [1] connected to my MBP over the certified TB3 cable. That display has a built-in USB Hub with USB-C ports. My Logi Bolt receiver is connected to the hub and a mouse and keyboard are paired...
  3. Prevent Windows from unpluging USB devices on sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Prevent Windows from unpluging USB devices on sleep: I'm running Windows 10 [0] via Apple Boot Camp on a 2016 Macbook Pro. I have display [1] connected to my MBP over the certified TB3 cable. That display has a built-in USB Hub with USB-C ports. My Logi Bolt receiver is connected to the hub and a mouse and keyboard are paired...
  4. Prevent Windows from unpluging USB devices on sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. USB devices won't wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB devices won't wake up from sleep: Hi,Quite often when I reconnect some of my USB devices to PC mouse, keyboard, audio interface, they won't work. To me it seems to happen randomly. Usually it's just one of these devices that don't work when I reconnect them. Disconnecting them and again reconnecting doesn't...
  6. USB devices won't wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB devices won't wake up from sleep: Hi,Quite often when I reconnect some of my USB devices to PC mouse, keyboard, audio interface, they won't work. To me it seems to happen randomly. Usually it's just one of these devices that don't work when I reconnect them. Disconnecting them and again reconnecting doesn't...
  7. USB devices won't wake up from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Pc wakes from usb devices

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Pc wakes from usb devices: When I put my windows 10 pc to sleep, is turns back on and I did some troubleshooting and found a number of devices that are causing this to happen and i do not want to unplug everything when i want it to sleep. I’ve tried to disable the wake from sleep option on these...
  9. All USB devices stop working unless I unplug/ re-plug a USB device back in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All USB devices stop working unless I unplug/ re-plug a USB device back in: * I previously posted this in /r/techsupport but did not get any solutions to the problem * I've had this Windows 10 computer for about 3-4 years now and up until a few days ago it was working perfectly fine with no problems. Yesterday, my computer wouldn't detect my PS3...
  10. Can't wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't wake from sleep: So I've been on the Insider 20H2 build for a couple of weeks now. I've noticed that my laptop frequently crashes on sleep and won't wake up. Sometimes it would just refuse to go into sleep and get stuck till a force restart and sometimes it would just straight up turn of when...