Windows 10: PC changed drive c to drive g on my SSD = no boot drive = no booting up.

Discus and support PC changed drive c to drive g on my SSD = no boot drive = no booting up. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I did something very stupid and had to check every component on my PC to find out what was defective. Turns out the MB battery was dead as a doornail!... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bigmac1x, Feb 20, 2021.

1. bigmac1x Win User

PC changed drive c to drive g on my SSD = no boot drive = no booting up.

I did something very stupid and had to check every component on my PC to find out what was defective. Turns out the MB battery was dead as a doornail! Replaced it.

I had been trying "fix startup problems", "restore", "recover", etc. from a rescue disk. Nothing would work. In fact, from the rescue disk, I'd try the same thing twice or more and the steps would change. Bottom line - couldn't do anything. PS "Fix startup problems" has never been able to correct anything over the years.

So, I reinstalled Windows 10 on a new HDD. Great, now I could boot up. My original boot drive was an SSD. I check it out the SSD drive and c: has changed to g: and d: has changed to h: Wish I'd known that before i reinstalled Windows 10 to a different disk. Probably because of the reinstallation of windows on an HDD. I understand you can't have 2 of the same drive letter on one PC. I want to get back to booting from my SSD. In Disk Management If I try to change the g: on my SSD back to c: it says I can't do that. But I was able to change h: back to d:.

I thought maybe I could change the c: on the new HDD drive to something else and then change the g: on my SSD back to c: and reboot. That seems to easy so I thought i'd better ask the experts first if that's ok or whether there's another way. There's a lot of info on the original SSD boot drive I don't want to lose.

Just had a thought - can the info on my SSD be imported into the new c: boot drive on the HDD? I could then clone everything back to the SSD.

OR - can the c: boot drive on my HDD be merged with the g: originally c: on my SSD and specify the SSD will be the boot drive so it changes g: back to c:?

PS I have Partition Master Pro if that's of any help. I don't want to do something stupid that puts me out of commission for another week!

Thanks very much for your help.

:)

bigmac1x, Feb 20, 2021

2. Windows 10 keeps changing boot drive

Windows 10, Hp 6380t desktop

I have 2 internal drives, 250GB SSD which is drive "C:", and a 750GB HDD which is drive "G:".

The boot drive is "C:" , the SSD, and on typical boot up there is no problem booting.

But after update, or a long (> 1 hr) period in sleep mode, or restart from "crash", the boot drive changes to the "G:" drive and I have to access the BIOS menu to manually change the boot drive preference.

Why does this happen?

skshrewsKirk, Feb 20, 2021
  3. how to change boot drive to ssd drive from system drive

My widows 10 computer crashed and would not boot. I lost my recovery disk and borrowed one from my spouse. Her system booted from a system drive while my system booted from a SSD drive. After recovering my computer, it no longer boots from the SSD drive.
    What is the best way to make the changes so that I'm back to booting from my SSD drive? I recovered all my lost files from a backup drive and the windows on the SSD may not be the same as on the new WindowsC: drive. I know that I can go into the BIOS and
    change the boot drive to the SSD drive, but I'm afraid that there is more to it than that.

JimMorgan7, Feb 20, 2021
  4. tigger Win User

Hard Drive/Booting Issue (Please Help)

Surely if you boot with just the ssd, when it boots you can change the drive letter to C then go from there, adding the other drives?

tigger, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

1. PC changed drive c to drive g on my SSD = no boot drive = no booting up. - Similar Threads - changed drive drive

2. My C/Boot Drive does not show up on defragment drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My C/Boot Drive does not show up on defragment drives: Hi, recently I've been noticing that whenever I start my computer, it always does an automatic disk checking. Everything works as normal but when I went to defragment my drives, my C drive does not show up on there however it does show up on file explorer and I can still...
  3. My C/Boot Drive does not show up on defragment drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My C/Boot Drive does not show up on defragment drives: Hi, recently I've been noticing that whenever I start my computer, it always does an automatic disk checking. Everything works as normal but when I went to defragment my drives, my C drive does not show up on there however it does show up on file explorer and I can still...
  4. My C/Boot Drive does not show up on defragment drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Changing Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Boot Drive: Hello everyone.So, I'm trying to change my local drive to a portion of my other SSD that has more storage. Long story short, I got a prebuilt and changed all parts except for local drive with 100 gb in it, 1 gb left to spare because I don't know how to. I finally decided to...
  6. Help with SSD boot drive change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Help with SSD boot drive change: So I have a 240gb and 500gb ssd. I have upgraded and cloned over the years. So Win10 install is on C-500gb drive (C/500). When I removed the 240gb D drive (D/240) to repurpose elsewhere, Windows would not boot, bios error BootManger missing, or something like that. So popped...
  7. Changing Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing Boot Drive: Hey everyone. I'm looking to change my boot drive but haven't been able to get a clear idea on how it will work. Currently in my PC I have a SATA SSD, which is my boot drive, and a HDD which I just use for large games and work stuff. I am thinking of getting an M.2 drive to...
  8. how to change boot drive to ssd drive from system drive

in Windows 10 Customization
    how to change boot drive to ssd drive from system drive: My widows 10 computer crashed and would not boot. I lost my recovery disk and borrowed one from my spouse. Her system booted from a system drive while my system booted from a SSD drive. After recovering my computer, it no longer boots from the SSD drive. What is the best...
  9. Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive: I'm sure I screwed something up, but here's my situation. I bought an SSD, unfortunately a little smaller than I should have. In using free Macrium Reflect software to clone my original main drive, I realized I needed a few more gigs of space. The operation requires moving...
  10. How to manage installations when C drive is SSD Boot Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to manage installations when C drive is SSD Boot Drive: This isn't a question pertaining to installing Windows specific files, but general installation of programs and apps on a system with a maxed out C drive thats an SSD Boot Drive with only 100gb capacity, and a empty D Drive that is an HDD with 1TB capacity. I bought my wife...