Windows 10: PC cold boot stops during BIOS, works on restart/warm boot

Discus and support PC cold boot stops during BIOS, works on restart/warm boot in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; For the past few weeks when powering up my elderly PC it almost always stops during BIOS after displaying the CPU details (1st image). Pressing the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by tpriest, May 4, 2021.

1. tpriest Win User

PC cold boot stops during BIOS, works on restart/warm boot

For the past few weeks when powering up my elderly PC it almost always stops during BIOS after displaying the CPU details (1st image). Pressing the Reboot button on the front panel it boots fine every time (2nd image). As the next line it would display is the memory check ok it seems to suggest something to do with the memory. I've run MemTest86+ for 1 complete pass, no errors found (3rd image) Would seem to be a cold boot / warm boot difference. Whilst it's not a real problem for me as the PC is working very well, it may be a warning of something or it may just be something has changed, perhaps inadvertently by me, and needs changing back, though no idea what. Any thoughts on how to progress this? [Apologies for not embedding the images in this text, for some reason it ignores any upload request, only attachments seem to work.]

:)

tpriest, May 4, 2021
  2. Grom0X Win User

Try reflash your BIOS, and then boot in to the Windows, shut down computer and clear CMOS.

PC cold boot stops during BIOS, works on restart/warm boot [​IMG]

Grom0X, May 5, 2021
  3. tpriest Win User

For the past few weeks when powering up my elderly PC it almost always stops during BIOS after displaying the CPU details (1st image).

Pressing the Reboot button on the front panel it boots fine every time (2nd image).

As the next line it would display is the memory check ok it seems to suggest something to do with the memory. I've run MemTest86+ for 1 complete pass, no errors found (3rd image)

Would seem to be a cold boot / warm boot difference.

Whilst it's not a real problem for me as the PC is working very well, it may be a warning of something or it may just be something has changed, perhaps inadvertently by me, and needs changing back, though no idea what.

Any thoughts on how to progress this?

[Apologies for not embedding the images in this text, for some reason it ignores any upload request, only attachments seem to work.]

tpriest, May 5, 2021
  4. baxev2005 Win User

MBR Error 1 on cold boot

I recently upgraded a Toshiba A300 laptop (2009 model) from Win7 to Win10. I use a 125GB Kingston SSD as primary and a 280GB Hitachi as a secondary internal hard disk, in place of DVD drive, inside a craddle. This is a single OS installation, no dual boot. When I cold boot (from power on) and after the Bios logo, the "MBR Error 1" appears on screen and stops booting. To bypass I do a warm restart (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and the second (warm) boot loads Win 10. Also booting is ok from a Restart. Again error message appears only after a cold boot.
    As a teaser I have to mention that, whenever I remove the craddle with the secondary Hitachi hard disk, the error does not appear during cold boot !!!. That is the error message appeares only if the second hard disk is installed. Does anybody have any suggestion on what might cause it and a possible solution??
    This is an annoying situation only and does not affect any other operation, except booting.
    Thanks in advance

baxev2005, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. PC cold boot stops during BIOS, works on restart/warm boot - Similar Threads - cold boot stops

2. Keyboard not working during boot/bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard not working during boot/bios: Hi there so I have an old samsung n100sp which i did some upgrades on so i bought a new ssd which i need to install windows but i cant since my keyboard that came with the laptop is damaged like half of it works half doesnt thus making it useless in bios and i tried finding...
  3. Keyboard not working during boot/bios

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard not working during boot/bios: Hi there so I have an old samsung n100sp which i did some upgrades on so i bought a new ssd which i need to install windows but i cant since my keyboard that came with the laptop is damaged like half of it works half doesnt thus making it useless in bios and i tried finding...
  4. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  5. Cold boot BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cold boot BSOD: Everyday at startup I get a BSOD. This only happens once and then never for the duration the pc is on. The BSOD errors sometimes vary but this is a analyzed dump file from a recent one:******************************************************************************** **...
  6. Network Location SMB NAS unavailable from cold boot, only works after warm restart

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network Location SMB NAS unavailable from cold boot, only works after warm restart: After my PC updated to Win 10 ver 2004 on 2-2-2021, my NAS device has been consistently unreachable by direct run or shortcut on each morning startup. Windows says the device is simply not there. The "fix" has been to restart Windows entirely, at which point it works fine....
  7. Win10 cold boots fine but restart gets "inaccessible boot device"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 cold boots fine but restart gets "inaccessible boot device": I have a Win10 system that is showing an odd symptom: it cold boots i.e., from a power up fine, but any restart whether manually requested or as part of a Windows Update fails with "Inaccessible boot device". None of the reports I see here seem to match that, and the fixes...
  8. Sound only works on cold boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound only works on cold boot: Hello, I have an awesome Dell laptop running the latest version of Windows 10 that I have had for a couple of years now. I have had this issue since I bought the laptop and have never been able to get the issue resolved. When I cold boot the computer, sound works fine....
  9. Slow warm boot & Fast cold boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow warm boot & Fast cold boot: Hello, My Lenovo laptop is pretty fast at cold boot. It takes about 12 seconds from initial bios screen to desktop. On the other hand, warm boot is really slow. The same period takes about 51 seconds, involving a long black screen. Actually, it was similiar at...
  10. Cold boot issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Cold boot issues: Hello, i have this issue on one PC that I've installed windows 10 and it doesn't boot properly. It goes to the windows logo part then it hangs for a bit before shutting itself down , then i need to power it on again and it will boot after a while. It also creates massive...