Windows 10: PC Completely Locks Up During Certain Games

Discus and support PC Completely Locks Up During Certain Games in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My problem first started a few days ago playing a game called Stellaris. Mid-session I started getting severe frame drops, then the entire PC locked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by IsaacBlais, Jun 29, 2020.

1. PC Completely Locks Up During Certain Games

My problem first started a few days ago playing a game called Stellaris. Mid-session I started getting severe frame drops, then the entire PC locked up. The only thing that would work was my mouse cursor. However I couldn't access anything. I also had Spotify playing in the background and the audio locked up grinding audio, not looping. I did a hard restart holding the power button to force it off and went on as normal, but about half an hour later it happened again. Same exact things happened. I left it at that.

Then tonight I played Halo: MCC with a friend online and mid-mission it happened again. FPS stuttering followed by complete lockup. Mouse cursor remained the only thing active. This happened once more before we started looking into it.

When looking at the Event Viewer App we found that the PC did not record any events at all minutes before the lockups, nor did it detect any issues at all after startup, only that the PC did not shutdown properly. I updated my Nvidia graphics drivers and tried playing the same game, same level, same settings, etc. once more on my own, seeing if it was simply a certain section of the Halo level that was causing it. However the lockup happened again at a different point, on my own not online. I tried restarting my graphics drivers with Windows + Ctrl + Shift + B, and this time after the beep which was distorted my left monitor went to sleep about 30 seconds after. A minute went by before the PC auto-restarted, and this time it had created a crash file called 062920-10000-01.dmp.

Other methods I attempted were investigating my audio such as drivers, my headphones, etc.; checking on my BIOS which is itself somewhat old but has not been an issue ever. It should also be noted that another game I actively play, Mass Effect: Andromeda, has not been subject to this lockup issue, and these lockups have only happened during active gameplay, and not when the PC isn't in use. Also I have not received the Windows 10 May 2020 Update.

Here is the link to the dmp file in my OneDrive: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap3u5Q4wzFvogbMrb86ZfBLdqYeTyQ?e=De9MPq

:)

IsaacBlais, Jun 29, 2020

2. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Jun 29, 2020
  3. W10 goes to lock screen during the cutscenes for some games.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that the screen gets locked during the game play. We will assist you to resolve the issue.

To assist you better, I would like to know if the issue arises at certain interval of time or only during the cut scenes.

This issue may arise due to driver corruptions or due to change in the settings.

I suggest you to uninstall and re install the display driver and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Steps to uninstall and reinstall Display driver.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.

2. In the list of devices, you should see the Display drivers. (Expand if required).

3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".

4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.

5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

I also suggest you to check the settings of lock screen by:

1. Right click from Desktop.

2. Click on Personalize.

3. Click on lock screen.

4. Click on screen timeout settings.

5. Make changes accordingly.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Jun 29, 2020
  4. PC Completely Locks Up During Certain Games

Computer Randomly locks up

Ok, so my dads pc (its in sp) completely randomly locks up.

Im not sure what the deal is.

it was working fine, i swapped boards and it game me a memory error but no big deal, fixed that. now, it locks up a few times a day, whether it is in the bios, or post screen, windows, trying to format windows ect.

Im not sure what to do! if its the board i'll rma it and give him "back" the P45 but if its ram or hdd idk...

what do you suggest?

freaksavior, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

PC Completely Locks Up During Certain Games

1. PC Completely Locks Up During Certain Games - Similar Threads - Completely Locks During

2. PC keeps on freezing completely when playing certain games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC keeps on freezing completely when playing certain games: When I play certain games, which are pretty high graphic, my pc freezes completely. I cant type anything, i can sometimes hear the audio but sometimes it just stops, and I have to shut it down by pressing the power button. Sometimes when it freezes it has the sound of a usb...
  3. PC keeps on freezing completely when playing certain games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC keeps on freezing completely when playing certain games: When I play certain games, which are pretty high graphic, my pc freezes completely. I cant type anything, i can sometimes hear the audio but sometimes it just stops, and I have to shut it down by pressing the power button. Sometimes when it freezes it has the sound of a usb...
  4. PC keeps on freezing completely when playing certain games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Computer crashes during certain games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashes during certain games: Hi, I have been having trouble trying to get my computer to stop crashing/forced restarts. This only occurs when playing certain games, like recent MMO's and it take can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 4 hours for it to happen. I ran driver verifier and caused it to...
  6. Computer crashes during certain games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer crashes during certain games: Hi, I have been having trouble trying to get my computer to stop crashing/forced restarts. This only occurs when playing certain games, like recent MMO's and it take can take anywhere from 5 minutes to 4 hours for it to happen. I ran driver verifier and caused it to...
  7. PC completely freezing up while gaming

PC completely freezing up while gaming: Hello,I am having a very confusing, very annoying problem that I've narrowed down to my GPU, whether it be software or hardware.First, let me explain what I've done to troubleshoot, then I will explain the issue.- I've reinstalled Windows- I've run sfc /scannow - I've run...
  8. Sudden reboots during certain games

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sudden reboots during certain games: Hey everyone, I've been having some trouble with my desktop PC since a little while, and I can't find the problem to it. I was wondering if anyone has any idea as to how this keeps happening and what I can do to fix it. The problem is this: It started while playing...
  9. Auto Scrolling During Certain Games

Auto Scrolling During Certain Games: Every time I've opened the game, it has been extremely difficult to select anything from the main menu due to the game constantly automatically scrolling through every option with no way to stop it. Other Applications workings smoothly without any problem....
  10. Lock Screen During Games

in Windows 10 Support
    Lock Screen During Games: My windows 10 will go to a lock screen during games. Specifically, iRacing when using the wheel as my input. I have even disabled the lock screen, but it does not seem to have helped. 47342