Windows 10: PC Crash during 'high load' software- I suspect hardware issue

Discus and support PC Crash during 'high load' software- I suspect hardware issue in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi all, Main issue: complete system failure when using 'heavy' programs/games. Manual reboot is neccessary to get PC working again. Usually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by 654zl, Mar 5, 2020.

1. 654zl Win User

PC Crash during 'high load' software- I suspect hardware issue

Hi all,

Main issue: complete system failure when using 'heavy' programs/games.

Manual reboot is neccessary to get PC working again.

Usually happens when playing video games PC crashes to either a green screen or completely black and sound glitches/repeats very fast.

HDD light blinking as if it is signing something less then .5 seconds off, then .5 seconds off etc etc.

Would love to hear some of your expertise on this on what the issue might be, because it's getting a bit old now :-

MSINFO and minidump here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqp2FE0ZoNT1i0-uxWHBpTjhVlZ0?e=HXPbMG

Thanks very much in advance!

- Luc

:)

654zl, Mar 5, 2020

2. Black screen printing wingdings with high pitched tone.

Hello,

Black screen printing wingdings with high pitched tone can be due to outdated drivers. This can also be connected to hardware issue. For us to isolate and identify
    if this is a hardware or software issue, we suggest to perform the Windows Hardware Troubleshooter.

To access the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter, follow the steps provided below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in the Search bar and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” in the top left corner.
    • This will display the list of troubleshooters which are built-in in the computer. You can click on Hardware and Devices from the list and you can run the troubleshooter.

Let us know if that worked out for you.

Michelle Vil, Mar 5, 2020
  3. SuzLd Win User
    This software crashes the moment I try to open it - what is wrong with my computer?

• Which software are you using? - Music Mode
    • Is the issue specific with a particular software? – No, Candy Crush Jelly game crashes before it loads properly, as do several other games.
    • Does this happen while playing audio files or video files? – Music Mode crashes before I can even get it to work.
    • Did you make any changes to hardware/software prior to this issue? – no.
    • Are you using any Antivirus/Security software on your PC? – yes, Kaspersky.

SuzLd, Mar 5, 2020
  4. PC Crash during 'high load' software- I suspect hardware issue

Repeated Crash-rebooting on Windows 10 - what hardware is at fault?

Brief overview
    About a couple weeks ago, my custom-desktop (built 2015) started hard crashing and auto-rebooting. The computer has crashed so many times at this point that I can barely keep track (like 50 times in 2 weeks). When I start it up in the morning, it works fine for a few hours, then it will suddenly crash, reboot, and then wait 5-10 min before crashing again and starts to enter the death-spiral of repeated crashes that become increasingly more frequent. Last time this happened (yesterday), it couldn't even get past the BIOS splash screen before another crash. Seems like a short circuit? I have tried a lot of troubleshooting steps so-far, and will list that out in detail below - but for those TL;DR, I am 98% sure it is hardware related, the question is, how to isolate what piece of hardware is at fault? How to test? motherboard or power supply or something else?

Computer Specs:

PS: EVGA 750W GOLD Power Supply

MB: Asus Z170-A, running American Megatrends BIOS 3802 3/5/2018 (UEFI)

CPU: Intel i5-6600K Skylake CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3504 Mhz

GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

Troubleshooting steps taken thus far:

1. I dis-enabled auto-reboot (per suggestions online), and then when machine crashed again, it automatically rebooted, which clearly seems to indicate that the problem is not triggered by Windows.
    2. I checked the Windows Event Viewer, and here is what it looked like:
      Kernel-Power Event log
      There is no detail available beyond this event ID, because the machine apparently doesn't have a chance to write a dump file prior to crashing, which strongly suggests that it is a hardware problem. The crashes happened several times with no software running, so that confirms that hardware is likely suspect
    3. I opened up machine and thoroughly cleaned it and checked pin connections between power supply and the motherboard. I re-seated these connections, and it seemed to stop the crashes for 5-6 days, but then it started happening again.
    4. I updated BIOS to most current build available
    5. I installed a CPU temperature reading program to see if the i5-6600K is overheating. Here is a normal read-out (cold start)
      CPU Temp cold start
      followed by a read-out I was able to capture shortly after a crash. I don't know about you, but 57°C seems awfully hot for a processor. Makes me start to think that the processor is overheating? Which gets to the next thing
      CPU Temp after crash
    6. I have tried tweaking the BIOS to disenable overclocking but I am thus far unsuccessful - I don't know why the ASUS Z170-A motherboard is so hard to throttle down, the 'EZ menu' doesn't provide an easy option to just shut it off, and in Advanced mode, even with most settings in the 'AI Tweaker' panel disenabled, it still overclocks. Still looking for a good guide out there that can show me how to do this.

Can you provide any insight? I am at my wits end

Justin Kray, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

PC Crash during 'high load' software- I suspect hardware issue

1. PC Crash during 'high load' software- I suspect hardware issue - Similar Threads - Crash during 'high

2. Is this a software issue or hardware issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this a software issue or hardware issue?: Recently built a new PC. Installed Windows 10 and ran updates. Once it was fully updated, it seemed to run fine for a few minutes. After a few minutes, I could not open simple windows like Task Manager, Device Manager, Settings, and type in the Search Bar. I could not even...
  3. Is this a software issue or hardware issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is this a software issue or hardware issue?: Recently built a new PC. Installed Windows 10 and ran updates. Once it was fully updated, it seemed to run fine for a few minutes. After a few minutes, I could not open simple windows like Task Manager, Device Manager, Settings, and type in the Search Bar. I could not even...
  4. Windows keeps crashing, I suspect a problem in the hardware

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows keeps crashing, I suspect a problem in the hardware: A couple of months ago I made this post: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-crashes-when-waking-from-sleep-mode/18396fad-3908-4b1a-bb06-f95a580c6356I had a problem with windows crasing everytime I woke from sleep mode, and sometimes just randomly....
  5. MSFS crashes to desktop during loading.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MSFS crashes to desktop during loading.: During loading, latest picture of London, River Thames appears then sound goes and crash to desktop every time at same point. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/msfs-crashes-to-desktop-during-loading/dc94099f-d843-4241-a7ad-953e81b121f1
  6. PC crashing during low loads

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PC crashing during low loads: Hey everyone, I've been having this problem for a few months now. Basically during low loads, my pc freezes after a certain amount of time. This only happens when I'm browsing the internet or on discord with my friends. I don't get a blue screen or anything, just that my...
  7. Computer crashing during GPU load.

Computer crashing during GPU load.: AMD RYZEN 5 2600X 3.6GHZ 32.0 GB DDR5 RAM AMD radeon 5700 AMD 580X MSI X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI MOTHERBOARD THERMALTAKE SMART 700W ATX POWER SUPPLY I have been dealing with my computer crashing when the GPU is under load. I have tried switching different GPUs to try and...
  8. Is this a software or hardware issue?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is this a software or hardware issue?: submitted by /u/VerbNoun123 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gwu5hq/is_this_a_software_or_hardware_issue/
  9. Hardware or Software Issue?

in Windows 10 Support
    Hardware or Software Issue?: I built a box for a friend of mine, used it for a week and shipped it to FL - specs below. The box arrived safely, with the exception of one SATA cable, which had come loose. OR - it wasn't properly seated by me. After a day or so of use, he tells me the machine is very slow...
  10. Multiple BSOD Errors - Suspected Hardware issue

Multiple BSOD Errors - Suspected Hardware issue: Hi, For the past 14 months, I've been having BSOD issues as well as frequent CTD's in gaming (potentially unrelated). These started after a power supply failure and I've been unable to isolate what is causing the issues. I've performed CPU stress testing (AIDA64, Prime95),...