Windows 10: PC crashes and changes BIOS boot options.

Discus and support PC crashes and changes BIOS boot options. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have had my PC for about 5 years, and it just started some of its first reoccurring erratic behavior. It seems now that, at random, the PC will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JonathanS97, Oct 18, 2018.

1. PC crashes and changes BIOS boot options.

I have had my PC for about 5 years, and it just started some of its first reoccurring erratic behavior.

It seems now that, at random, the PC will freeze and flash the blue screen then shut down. It does it so fast that I can never see the error code.

When I go to boot it backup, it loads to a random boot drive, and prints the "No configuration file found." message across the top of the screen and sits with "boot:"

When I checked the bios it somehow changed all my boot settings, so it was booting to my dvd rom. I changed it all back it worked perfectly fine. Until today, when it happened again, and refused to select the hard drive till I got rid of the other boot options.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte, not sure what model it is, since this thing is a hand-me-down.

I am not sure if it could be a hard drive problem either, it is old, but so far the hard drive hasn't had any data loss or other issues...

I think it might be some kind of fast boot issue. I turned it off back on Windows 7 because my pc would experience freezes and crashes before. I went a head and re disabled it, but I want to know your thoughts though because it could be a while before I see it happen again.

:)

JonathanS97, Oct 18, 2018

2. Booting to BIOS

look to see if it has some sort of "boot to bios" option. im lost with this one....i cant think of much more than what ive suggested. Most Motherboards have different Bios/booting options. Try them all , see if makes a change.

if nothing works, time to contact the Manufacturer.

Sorry I couldnt be of help

jboydgolfer, Oct 18, 2018
  3. OssianLtd Win User
    No boot option in BIOS after attempting to revert back to Windows 8.1 from 10 on lenovo edge e545

Did anyone come up with a solution for this?

I have an E545, originally WIn8.0 that ran out of battery during an update to 8.1

Now it will boot to a blank screen, and no further

As in picture above, the BIOS is missing the setup option (so cannot access / change boot order)

Enter then F12 on boot doesn't give me a list of boot devices to do a recovery (although the BIOS lists the DVD)

My next step is to pull the HD and delete all partitions, then try the recovery again

OssianLtd, Oct 18, 2018
  4. PC crashes and changes BIOS boot options.

Windows 10 will only boot if selected from the BIOS boot menu.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand the inconvenience you have experienced.

• You mean to say, every time you need to make changes to Boot Order in BIOS, to start your computer correctly?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

I suspect that the problem might be due to outdated BIOS update
    or with Boot Configuration data. Suggest you to check for the latest BIOS update and Chipset drivers for your device hardware on Manufacturer website. If you find a new one, try to update the same to see if it correct
    the issue. If problem still persist, then I suggest to rebuild Boot Configuration Data to see if it makes any difference.

Let us try to repair your computer by creating a Windows 10 Bootable media (I.e. USB or DVD) using
    Media Creation Tool.
    Use your computer or some other connected to Internet for creating a Bootable media (Windows 10 ISO image file). Once you're ready with Bootable Media, follow the below mentioned
    steps.

• Insert the Windows installation disc in the disc drive or connect USB media, and then start the computer.
    • Press a key when the message Press any key to boot from CD or DVD appears.

If your PC does not detect the media automatically
      • During the restart process, read the screen for any instructions that explain how to interrupt normal startup and enter the basic input/output system (BIOS) setup utility. Most PCs use the F2, F10, ESC, or DEL key to begin the BIOS Setup.
      • Look for a tab in the BIOS Setup Utility that is labeled Boot Order,
        Boot Options, or Boot. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to go to the
        Boot Order, then press Enter.
      • Locate the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive (this might be called Removable Device) in the Boot list. Following the directions on the screen, use the arrow keys to move the drive up so that it appears first in the Boot list. Press Enter. The boot order
        sequence is now changed to boot from the CD, DVD, or USB flash drive.
      • Press F10 to save your changes and to exit the BIOS Setup Utility. Select Yes in the confirmation window. The PC will restart. Allow the PC to restart normally. The scan will take a few minutes and remove any malware that may be infecting your computer.
    • Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
    • Click Repair your computer.
    • Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click
      Next
    • On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. Select
      Advanced Options > Command Prompt
      under Advanced Options.
    • Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd, and then press
      ENTER.
      This command will rebuild boot configuration data if in case any issue with Boot files causing this issue.

Once you done with the above steps, see if the problem still persist.

Let us know how it went.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Oct 18, 2018
Thema:

PC crashes and changes BIOS boot options.

1. PC crashes and changes BIOS boot options. - Similar Threads - crashes changes BIOS

2. No option to boot from SSD in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No option to boot from SSD in BIOS: Hi.Recently I installed a 128GB SSD in my HP Pavillion gaming 15 ec009ax which earlier only had 1TB HDD installed. I migrated the Windows from HDD to SSD using the mini tool partition wizard but I can not set the SSD as the boot device in the BIOS. It only shows the HDD as...
  3. No option to boot from SSD in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No option to boot from SSD in BIOS: Hi.Recently I installed a 128GB SSD in my HP Pavillion gaming 15 ec009ax which earlier only had 1TB HDD installed. I migrated the Windows from HDD to SSD using the mini tool partition wizard but I can not set the SSD as the boot device in the BIOS. It only shows the HDD as...
  4. Missing "Add Boot Option" in BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing "Add Boot Option" in BIOS: I recently removed my HDD and added an empty SSD into my ASUS laptop, after I turn on my laptop it boots me into BIOS and the Boot Menu is empty, in Advanced Settings -> Boot there are just two options, Fast Boot and Delete Boot Option, there's no Add Boot Option and my...
  5. Missing "Add Boot Option" in BIOS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing "Add Boot Option" in BIOS: I recently removed my HDD and added an empty SSD into my ASUS laptop, after I turn on my laptop it boots me into BIOS and the Boot Menu is empty, in Advanced Settings -> Boot there are just two options, Fast Boot and Delete Boot Option, there's no Add Boot Option and my...
  6. Boot to BIOS after crash

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Boot to BIOS after crash: My laptop crashed when coming out of sleep and keeps booting to the BIOS. I think the boot partition got fucked somehow because I don't see it as a BIOS option... Any ideas? I'm going to boot to an Ubuntu build on USB in a few hours. submitted by /u/clam_shelle [link]...
  7. Can’t access boot options in BIOS

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can’t access boot options in BIOS: In the BIOS I can’t get into the boot settings unless I have my HDD plugged in. So I took the HDD out and installed e SSD so that it could only launch off SSD and now in the bios it’s not even letting me choose what to use as boot option 1. If I check the boot sequence by...
  8. PC crashing to bios details in bios

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC crashing to bios details in bios: Im using an aorus pro z390 chip w/ intel i9 -i just built this pc a week ago- so this started when i used the Intel Performance Maximizer , which worked excellently, until i went into Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to downlock it, so i put it back to base clock, but...
  9. SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD not appearing as a boot option in BIOS: I recently cloned my system to my SSD (laptop crashed, when it got fixed windows was installed on my hard drive instead, but laptop came with SSD). I am trying to set it as the boot option in BIOS, but it isn't appearing. The SSD is working fine normally, as I said I...
  10. Microsoft Boot Option in My Bios

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Boot Option in My Bios: Hi, I run windows 10 on a Dell XPS 8920 computer. Until just a few days ago there were only (3) boot options in my bios and they are Windows Boot Manager, Onboard NIC (IPV4) and (IPV6). Now, suddenly, out of nowhere, there is a fourth option named (microsoft). I have no...