Windows 10: PC crashing and rebooting to previous state

Discus and support PC crashing and rebooting to previous state in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; My computer has been crashing at random for about a week now, and when it reboots it restores the settings, programs, and files as they were before the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Martida, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Martida Win User

PC crashing and rebooting to previous state

My computer has been crashing at random for about a week now, and when it reboots it restores the settings, programs, and files as they were before the first crash. It's made it impossible to reliably use. Everything will run fine for an indeterminate amount of time I'm writing this on the computer in question, and have played games and browsed the internet for hours before programs stop being able to open, the screen freezes, and it either goes straight to black or a BSOD with SYSTEM_SERVICE _EXCEPTION as the cause. Programs can be installed or uninstalled and settings can be changed, altho

:)

Martida, Oct 16, 2021

2. all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Oct 16, 2021
  3. Thrackan Win User
    PC reboots (no BSOD) on CPU stress

Hi fellow TPU members,

not too long ago, the box my gf's PC was transported in gave way on the stairs. Yes, you got it right, that sent a PC tumbling down a flight of steps alright.

Stuff broke. Also, stuff remained intact somehow.

I bought her a new case, new CPU cooler and we removed the floppy drive, so far so good. But the PC started crashing for no apparent reason, without a BSOD.

I tested:
    • Memtest86+, left overnight, 0 errors
    • Scanned the HDD for errors, nothing there
    • Left FurMark burning up the GFX card and drawing some power, no problems there
    • Ran Ubuntu from a Live CD doing nothing special, didn't crash
    • Ran OCCT, Linpack, Prime95, all 3 caused reboots within minutes
    • Oh, and I disabled "Restart on error" so I'm sure it's not a BSOD.
    Now, I can still try and test something CPU intensive on Ubuntu, but my guess is the CPU didn't survive.
    Before I do anything drastic like whippin' out the magic wallet and get her a new AMD quad, is there anything I didn't see?
    I'm guessing the motherboard could be borkered as well, but can I check that other than replacing the CPU with a working one?
    Any suggestions on which proggies I can use from an Ubuntu Live CD to stress the CPU?

Thrackan, Oct 16, 2021
  4. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Oct 16, 2021
Thema:

1. PC crashing and rebooting to previous state - Similar Threads - crashing rebooting previous

2. Windows 11 crashed and restored to some previous state

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 crashed and restored to some previous state: I was browsing the internet, and my windows abruptly crashed after pressing some buttons, a blue screen got displayed saying there was some problem with your computer, and it automatically restarted, it took a bit of time for the restart and when it got restarted i was...
  3. Windows 11 crashed and restored to some previous state

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 crashed and restored to some previous state: I was browsing the internet, and my windows abruptly crashed after pressing some buttons, a blue screen got displayed saying there was some problem with your computer, and it automatically restarted, it took a bit of time for the restart and when it got restarted i was...
  4. PC crashing and rebooting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC crashing and rebooting: I keep on getting error code 1001 have the mini dumps if someone who understands them is able to help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-crashing-and-rebooting/c5af1dbd-719f-4fe3-b8d4-a90288406104
  5. PC crashing and rebooting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crashing and rebooting: I keep on getting error code 1001 have the mini dumps if someone who understands them is able to help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-crashing-and-rebooting/c5af1dbd-719f-4fe3-b8d4-a90288406104
  6. PC crashing and rebooting to previous state

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC crashing and rebooting to previous state: My computer has been crashing at random for about a week now, and when it reboots it restores the settings, programs, and files as they were before the first crash. It's made it impossible to reliably use. Everything will run fine for an indeterminate amount of time I'm...
  7. PC crashing and rebooting to previous state

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC crashing and rebooting to previous state: My computer has been crashing at random for about a week now, and when it reboots it restores the settings, programs, and files as they were before the first crash. It's made it impossible to reliably use. Everything will run fine for an indeterminate amount of time I'm...
  8. MY PC GOES TO A PREVIOUS STATE ON EVERY REBOOT

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    MY PC GOES TO A PREVIOUS STATE ON EVERY REBOOT: my pc started acting slow once so i restarted it i didnt notice anything changed so i kept using it until the day after i realised a program i have installed the day before is gone, and my chrome search history is outdated so i uninstalled a random program and restarted my...
  9. PC Crashes to Reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    PC Crashes to Reboot: Lately, every so often my PC has been crashing and then rebooting itself, I am at a loss on where the issue may be and where the best place to start troubleshooting is, I have also been having a few other problems, FPS drops, Nvidia driver crashes. Im not sure if GPU issues...
  10. Windows 10 reverts back to a previous state on EVERY reboot

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 reverts back to a previous state on EVERY reboot: New to the forum so hello all. A few days ago my Pc started to act slow and slugging so i restarted it a couple of times and on the 3rd reboot it started a disc check. Once it finished it worked flawlessly BUT it had reverted to a previously unknown restore point. Ok i...