Windows 10: PC crashing since Windows update

Discus and support PC crashing since Windows update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; About 2-3 weeks ago I got a notification on my PC, telling me to update to the newest version of Windows. I did so without any interruption, letting it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/McCoyster365, Oct 2, 2020.

1. PC crashing since Windows update

About 2-3 weeks ago I got a notification on my PC, telling me to update to the newest version of Windows. I did so without any interruption, letting it take all the time it needed to update. Since then, however, my PC has been constantly crashing at seemingly random times. After restarting the first time after updsting, I noticed it had seemed to have deleted of my documents and photos, as well as resetting my wallpaper to the default windows wallpaper. These problems have now been resolved, but problems still persist. At a certain point my PC seemed to, by itself, unstall games and software from my Steam library, namely Star Wars Battlefront 2, Halo: The Masterchief Collection and Wallpaper Engine. I have manged to redownload and install Battlefront 2, but upon trying to do the same with Wallpaper Engine, my PC crashed. I haven't made an attempt with Halo yet (mainly because I didn't play it much, if I'm being honest). I turned if off for a few days and seemed to have a few days to about a week with no problems until yesterday. I had a few friends playing Valorant and I wanted to trybit out, so I downloaded that, no problem occurred. I had also heard about the game Genshin Impact and wanted to try that out, so after Valorant was done, I started on Genshin. Whike I'm downloading Genshin I'm watching YouTube on Chrome, a common thing as my Internet isn't the best, so I like the fill In the dead time. As I'm doing this, my computer crashes, I believe siting memory management as the cause. My PC restarted and I decided to be safe and turn it off and on again, just to be sure. Upon doing this I continued my download of Genshin and started with YouTube again, hoping it wouldn't crash again. Genshin finished, but an error popped up and saying it couldn't locate files or something, causing the download and install to start all over again. At this point I wasn't in the mood, so I deleted Genshin and just went back to YouTube. Then, in the middle of watching a video, another crash. I do a whole restart again to make sure, this time I try to play Valorant, wanting to check if that even works. All goes well for about 15 minutes, then another crash.

I know all this detail will probably be completely useless or meaningless in the whole, but I'm trying to cover as much as I can remember here, in hopes that I can just get any sort of information on this.

As for the crashes themselves, different error codes were given for just about every crash. Memory management was the most common one, but it has also given me critical process failure, among others I can't fully recall.

After running a memory diagnostic, I'm being told my PC has memory problems, but again, everything was running fine before this update, so I'm very confused at how this suddenly came about.

What I would like to know is if any of you have had similar problems, if you managed to fix it and, if so, how?

I would give you the exact specs of my PC, but this post is already long enough, so if curious, please ask and I'll post it in a comment under this. Any help is appreciated and thank you for reading this colossal wall of text I have typed out.

submitted by /u/McCoyster365
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/McCoyster365, Oct 2, 2020
  2. peach1971 Win User

all games crash!

I suggest you run rthdribl > http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/archives/rthdribl_1_2.zip
    Increase the window size step by step and watch your vga temps permanently.
    What happens?
    If it crashes, run at stock speeds as suggested before and retry.

P.S.: When your system locks, does the display signal turn off after a time?
    Stuttering sound or no sound at all when freezing?
    What X1800XT model do you own exactly?

peach1971, Oct 2, 2020
  3. all games crash!

ive watch my temps and both the cpu and gpu are within normal ranges. when it freezes it simply freezes the image and stops the sound. i must reboot to get back to windows.

Easy Rhino, Oct 2, 2020
  4. Mala_S Win User

PC crashing since Windows update

Windows Updates crashing and unable to login to PC

Hello SoaringHigh2061,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As per the manufacturer’s website, your PC is compatible
    only with Windows 7 & 8. This could be the cause for the system crash.

If you wish to pause the updates for a while, you may check with the steps listed below in the article -

However, I would also suggest you to get in touch with the PC manufacturer to know if there are any latest drivers available, that is compatible to run Windows 10 on your machine.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Oct 2, 2020
Thema:

PC crashing since Windows update

1. PC crashing since Windows update - Similar Threads - crashing since update

2. PC crashing & rebooting since Windows 11 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crashing & rebooting since Windows 11 Upgrade: Hello,I recently upgraded my CPU from AMD Ryzen 5 2400G to AMD Ryzen 7 5700x. Following the CPU upgrade, used Windows 10 for about a month, no problems at all. Turned on my PC one day to see that Windows 11 had been installed. No problems for 1-2 days. Then the PC started...
  3. Random PC crashes since March

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random PC crashes since March: Hello everyone!So, since March my PC crashes randomly while idle or when on low usage and then reboots. All temps are okay, already did a fresh reinstall, disabled OCs and tested everything. NO BSODS, NO MINIDUMPS. JUST CRASH.These events happens just before the last...
  4. Random PC crashes since March

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random PC crashes since March: Hello everyone!So, since March my PC crashes randomly while idle or when on low usage and then reboots. All temps are okay, already did a fresh reinstall, disabled OCs and tested everything. NO BSODS, NO MINIDUMPS. JUST CRASH.These events happens just before the last...
  5. Gmail Crashes since windows update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gmail Crashes since windows update: Split from this thread.The Last Windows Update Made My Gmail Crash and now i don't get any Email. I have windows 11. I've RESET/ REPAIR/ REINSTALLED. All with no Luck. Tried to Revert back to Windows 10 with no luck. Should not have went with windows 11 i don't like it at all...
  6. Gmail Crashes since windows update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gmail Crashes since windows update: Split from this thread.The Last Windows Update Made My Gmail Crash and now i don't get any Email. I have windows 11. I've RESET/ REPAIR/ REINSTALLED. All with no Luck. Tried to Revert back to Windows 10 with no luck. Should not have went with windows 11 i don't like it at all...
  7. Windows crashes BSOD since last Update

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows crashes BSOD since last Update: Hello,since the latest update, I can't boot my Surface Laptop Pro 2 to Windows anymore. During the boot process, I get a blue screen with the error code CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. The recovery tool can't help me either, because it can't find an account with administration...
  8. pc crashing since installing 3070.

pc crashing since installing 3070.: continuing off this from a while back https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-restarts-randomly-on-games-after-buying-3070/d173d6e7-61c1-492a-9884-71ed4098a5dd , I've done a fresh windows install since then and my PC still crashes. I've also sent it back for...
  9. Windows Crashing since Update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Crashing since Update: I bought a new PC about a month and a half ago and had no issues until this new update. My wife reported the OS crashing and the fans making a great deal of noise on October 16, so she shut it off an waited for me to get home. I couldn’t get the computer to move past a black...
  10. Crashes since last windows update

Crashes since last windows update: Hi all, my system was perfectly stable. I had 186 hours on Killing floor 2 with never a crash. Then, after the last windows update it crashed 3 times in a row. I thought maybe it was a KF2 problem. Several hours on Civ5 went ok then same thing happened on DiRT Rally and then...