Windows 10: PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start

Discus and support PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My laptop has slowed so much, I'm fully updated, ran Health Check, ran a full scan, PC says no problems. so why does my PC not allow me to run Fresh... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RAY GRIMSON, Aug 8, 2022.

1. PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start

My laptop has slowed so much, I'm fully updated, ran Health Check, ran a full scan, PC says no problems. so why does my PC not allow me to run Fresh Start/Reset. Every time I click on Recovery, it just blanks and returns back to my Desktop.Would really appreciate your help before I go mad!

:)

RAY GRIMSON, Aug 8, 2022
  2. NMDV Win User

Fresh Start - Problem resetting your PC. No changes were made.

Hello,

Since yesterday, I've attempted to run a Fresh Start, but the process stops refreshing at 35% and then undoes changes and gives me the message "Reset This PC - There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made.

Here is what led me to the Fresh Start process and the outcomes:

• I began this process when Firefox crashed without allowing me to open, so I uninstalled Firefox.
    • Then received multiple messages from Security and Maintenance to scan drive, then repair drive.
    • Then realized that Word would not open (WINWORD.EXE - The application was unable to start correctly (0xC0000142).
    • Attempted to reinstall Office 365, but received Couldn't Stream Office Error Code: 30045-25(1), so uninstalled Office.
    • Tried Fresh Start again, but no joy - same uninformative message.
    • Decided to attempt to download Windows 10 from Media Creation Tool
      • 1st attempt with Media Creation Tool: I used the to USB option, that led to error 0x0004005 - 0xA001A, and it made my USB unrecognizable to Windows (Then I remembered why I hate the tool)
        • Used Rufus to reformat my USB -> Windows recognized the USB
      • 2nd attempt with Media Creation Tool, but downloaded ISO file to PC. Used Rufus for the ISO, then began the install process. All went well until... Your PC will restart in a few minutes... Restart .... Installing Windows (your PC will restart several
        times)... scanning and repairing drive C: got to 44%, then Restart, then attempting to re... Restart ... Restoring previous version of Windows.
    Now what? I am still unable to install Firefox, cannot install Office, and need to perform a clean install of Windows 10, but I've read that I can no longer get ISO without going through Media Creation Tool.

Btw, I am running Windows Home Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.19) via Windows Update.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

NMDV, Aug 8, 2022
  3. reset this pc / fresh start ?

Hi Michael

Refreshing your PC or resetting your PC is also that same that they allow you to choose what happens to your personal files. The reset this PC has three options that allow you too either: "Keep my files", "Remove everything" or "Restore factory settings".
    Choosing one of the three options will do the following:

Method 1: "Keep my files"

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and keeps your personal files.
    • Removes apps and drivers you installed.
    • Removes changes you made to settings.
    • Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)
    Method 2: "Remove everything"

• Reinstalls Windows 10 and removes all your personal files.
    • Removes any apps your PC manufacturer installed. (If your PC came with Windows 10, apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled.)

Method 3: "Restore factory settings"

• Reinstalls the version of Windows that your PC came with (either Windows 8 or Windows 8.1) and removes your personal files.
    • Reinstalls any apps your PC manufacturer installed on your PC.

Take note the last options is not available on all PC's. You can check this link for other recovery options that are available on Windows 10 as well as a more details explanation of their functions.

Feel free to reach out to us for any further concerns.

----

If you think this was useful, you may "mark is as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Jordan Dom, Aug 8, 2022
  4. PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start

Windows 10 Fresh Start

Hi thanks for posting your questions here, Let me go and try to help you out. To answer your questions, Windows will allow you to choose what kind of fresh start you want. If you just want to perform a
    Reset which will bring back your computer on it's default settings and re install your Windows without you doing it manually, you'll see an option to
    Keep My Files or Remove Everything. See the steps below.

"If your PC isn't running well, resetting it might fix the problem. Resetting reinstalls Windows 10, but gives you the option to keep your files. Here are three ways to reset your PC:

• Select the Start Windows logo Start button, then select Settings
      Gear-shaped Settings icon > Update & security
      Circular arrows Sync icon > Recovery. Under
      Reset this PC
      , select Get started.
    • Restart your PC to get to the sign-in screen, then press and hold down the
      Shift key while you select the Power
      Circle with line Power icon >
      Restart in the lower-right hand corner of the screen. After your computer restarts, select
      Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.
    • You can also use installation media to reset your PC. See
      Recovery options in Windows 10
      for detailed steps."

You can as well access this link and run the tool below if you want to remove everything and start fresh.

Hope that will help! Feel free to reply back if you needed more info.

XboxGamer000143, Aug 8, 2022
Thema:

PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start

1. PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start - Similar Threads - does allow Reset

2. fresh start vs. reset pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    fresh start vs. reset pc: What is the difference between a fresh start and resetting the PC? My PC has Windows 11 installed, is freezing too much for the last few days and disturbing my regular workflow. Should I reset the PC or give it a fresh start? Every related info is appreciated....
  3. fresh start vs. reset pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    fresh start vs. reset pc: What is the difference between a fresh start and resetting the PC? My PC has Windows 11 installed, is freezing too much for the last few days and disturbing my regular workflow. Should I reset the PC or give it a fresh start? Every related info is appreciated....
  4. Resetting PC - Update Driver Missing and Can't Use Fresh Start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Resetting PC - Update Driver Missing and Can't Use Fresh Start: Hello, I am attempting to do a reset of my PC. I followed the guide to use the Fresh Start function, but when I went to Windows Security and clicked on the link Additional Information under the Fresh Start section, it simply opened a link to the Microsoft page informing me...
  5. PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start: My laptop has slowed so much, I'm fully updated, ran Health Check, ran a full scan, PC says no problems. so why does my PC not allow me to run Fresh Start/Reset. Every time I click on Recovery, it just blanks and returns back to my Desktop.Would really appreciate your help...
  6. PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC does not allow Reset/Fresh Start: My laptop has slowed so much, I'm fully updated, ran Health Check, ran a full scan, PC says no problems. so why does my PC not allow me to run Fresh Start/Reset. Every time I click on Recovery, it just blanks and returns back to my Desktop.Would really appreciate your help...
  7. Reset vs Fresh Start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reset vs Fresh Start: What is the difference between reset and fresh start? I know both have the option to keep personal files. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-vs-fresh-start/1bf783a2-19b7-48eb-a9a8-f0f693171dcc
  8. Regarding the Fresh start and resetting windows;

Regarding the Fresh start and resetting windows;: After some windows update problem faced by me for the past 3 days; I am finally choosing the option to Fresh start or reset; I have two internal hard drives SSD and HDD. My OS is installed in SSD. So if I give fresh start or reset will this removes the files in HDD drive...
  9. is fresh-start different to factory reset?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    is fresh-start different to factory reset?: I could not reset my pc using factory reset because it said it did not work and nothing changed. So can i use fresh-start and will it work? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-fresh-start-different-to-factory-reset/353f5f29-f529-4820-bd1a-7c39b7fe3fce
  10. Fresh Install or Reset PC?

Fresh Install or Reset PC?: When you select Recovery option the Reset PC it gives the option to 'Remove Everything' so Is a Fresh Install the same as using the Reset Pc function? There is also an Advanced startup option. I want to start completely fresh and do a clean install but really not sure which...