Windows 10: PC does not boot-up during restart, instead has to be manually be shut down with the power...

Discus and support PC does not boot-up during restart, instead has to be manually be shut down with the power... in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I've had a problem with my PC for about a year where any time it restarts - either manually or during an update - it shows the 'Restarting...'... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by JonPi3, Dec 28, 2020.

1. JonPi3 Win User

PC does not boot-up during restart, instead has to be manually be shut down with the power...

Hi,

I've had a problem with my PC for about a year where any time it restarts - either manually or during an update - it shows the 'Restarting...' screen, then all screens lose input, but the fans continue to spin and nothing further happens. I have to then manually shut it down by holding the power button, and press it a few seconds later to turn it on again. Most of the time it then boots up fine or continues with the update.

More recently, a new problem has developed where sometimes the PC doesn't boot up at all - fans come on, lights on my keyboard & mouse, but nothing on the monitors and nothing happens. I have to follow the same process above of forcing a shutdown then trying again, which solves it.

The problem first occurred after I upgraded my CPU and GPU last year, from an Intel Core i5-4690K to an i7-4790, and from an NVIDIA GTX 770 to a GTX 1660 ti.

Also running Windows 10 with an MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Motherboard.

I've read a few guides that have suggested disabling fast start-up, which I've done, and updating the BIOS, which I haven't done yet as I know that involves restarts and that's exactly the problem...

Hope you're able to help and let me know if you need any extra info!

Thanks,

Jon

:)

JonPi3, Dec 28, 2020
  2. drpet23 Win User

Pc restart instead of shutdown after brief powerloss.

When powerloss ( 1 second ) ( due to switch of electric fuse ) is very brief pc will restart or shutdown. ?

My pc get restarted instead of shutdown.Any ideas?

I ask because i have in bios option AC Power Loss POWER OFF.

When i manually cut power for longer time pc will not boot itself when power back, because i have AC POWER LOSS POWER OFF in bios.
    But few days ago when power due to switch of electric fuse was off only for 1 second pc restarts instead of shutdown.

drpet23, Dec 28, 2020
  3. R-T-B Win User
    Pc restart instead of shutdown after brief powerloss.

That's pretty much normal behavior. You can emulate this by flipping the power switch on/off on any modern PSU for a few fractions of a second, if you were so inclined.

It's just how it works.

R-T-B, Dec 28, 2020
  4. PC does not boot-up during restart, instead has to be manually be shut down with the power...

Won't shut down or restart -- error X0X

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

To assist you better, I would like to ask what are the methods that you have tried to solve the issue.

The issue might occur if the computer is not shut down properly. so, I suggest you to perform a power drain by follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Shut down the Computer.
    • Remove all power source (including battery if it is a laptop).
    • Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds.
    • Connect the power source and start the computer.
    • After the computer boots to the desktop, suggest you to install all the pending updates.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Dec 28, 2020
Thema:

PC does not boot-up during restart, instead has to be manually be shut down with the power...

1. PC does not boot-up during restart, instead has to be manually be shut down with the power... - Similar Threads - does boot during

2. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop restarting instead of shutting down: Hello, so my laptop ASUS TUF Gaming with ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 has been having this problem for quite some time now. The problem is that every time I press shutdown my pc restarts. It never shuts down by itself so I have to force shut down it every time, which I'm afraid is...
  3. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop restarting instead of shutting down: Hello, so my laptop ASUS TUF Gaming with ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 has been having this problem for quite some time now. The problem is that every time I press shutdown my pc restarts. It never shuts down by itself so I have to force shut down it every time, which I'm afraid is...
  4. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Shut down power during resetting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shut down power during resetting: I reset the computer and I accidentally shut the power downI try winre and troubleshooting, I can’t reset the progress and repairAnd I can’t use winre anymore again even serveral method I can’t even go to login screen It keep blinking and hp sign It keeps having hard disk...
  6. Shut down power during resetting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shut down power during resetting: I reset the computer and I accidentally shut the power downI try winre and troubleshooting, I can’t reset the progress and repairAnd I can’t use winre anymore again even serveral method I can’t even go to login screen It keep blinking and hp sign It keeps having hard disk...
  7. Shut down power during resetting

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Computer restarts instead of shutting down

Computer restarts instead of shutting down: I don't know if this is a computer glitch or a Microsoft one. Lately, maybe since the last update, when I shut off the computer, it restarts instead. Not consistently, but maybe about half the time. I get the screen that says it's shutting down with the little circling dots...
  9. Windows restarts instead of shutting down

Windows restarts instead of shutting down: Hi all, I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro 6 laptop with Windows 10. In the beginning, when I wanted to shut down Windows, that worked as expected. But at a certain point in time maybe after a Windows update, Windows restarts every time when I select shutdown. The only...
  10. Computer shuts down instead of restarting

Computer shuts down instead of restarting: Hello, I have been having this issue for a while now. I have reinstalled the pc, complete clean installation, changed disk, added memory... all to no avail. Wheneveer I want to restart, the laptop just shuts down. I am keeping up with all sorts of updates. I have a ASUS...