Windows 10: PC freezes after login on normal mode but works fine in safe boot.

Discus and support PC freezes after login on normal mode but works fine in safe boot. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My PC freezes 1 minute after I login (cannot open or close anything, but cursor moves). However, it works fine when I boot into safe mode. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bike254, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Bike254 Win User

PC freezes after login on normal mode but works fine in safe boot.

My PC freezes 1 minute after I login (cannot open or close anything, but cursor moves).

However, it works fine when I boot into safe mode.

I have tried disabling start-up services and other services and etc, but this only buys me like 4 mins after login, then it freezes yet again.

I suspect it is due to the latest windows 10 update, since this issue kinda started after I had let it update. I have indeed thought of rolling back the updates, but the option of going back to an earlier build is not present (at least not in safe mode).

Any idea how to go about sorting this out?

Additional information

>Dell inspiron

>Windows 10 home 64-bit (10.0 build 17134)

>About 25gb free on harddisk

:)

Bike254, Jan 3, 2019
  2. freeze Win User

PC freeze within 30sec of boot, works fine in safe mode

Hi there,

Having an issue with my Laptop, running win 10 pro.

Freezing in less than 30 secs of boot normal boot.Safe mode works fine where I have tried to run sfc now issue found.

So here is a quick list of what I have so far tried
    • Boot to safe mode sfc /scannow no issue found
    • Tried a clean boot(disable all no MS services) and reboot
    • Sign in under a new user account
    • Read logs but nothing seen freezing seem to not write any logs.
    • Memory test passed
    • chkdsk passed
    • run windows repair off disk
    • Sure there is more than I can not think of at the moment as my brain is ready to sleep
    • System Restore
    • Startup Repair

I am thinking it might be a driver based issue due to working fine when in safe mode but haven't updated any drivers.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

freeze, Jan 3, 2019
  3. Freezes in login screen of Safe Mode. Works ok in normal mode

Hi

I have this problem and do not know how to solve it. For some time and up to now I can’t enter in Safe Mode. I can login normally in normal mode, but when I restart and boot in Safe Mode (safe mode, safe mode with networking, or safe mode with command prompt, it is the same), few seconds after appearing in the login screen, Windows freezes. I can type the password + Enter fast and then I see the desktop, but it just then freezes, or I can type slowly and it will freeze during typing, or do nothing and wait in login/lock screen and it will freeze after few seconds...

I have made chkdsk c: /f /r at boot, all is ok!, I have done from admin command prompt sfc /scannow and all dism scan check and restore, everything is ok...I am desesperate as I need to make some tasks from safe mode (clean uninstallations, or simply to have it available in case of problem in normal mode!), and I can’t use it at all!

I have win10 pro with last updates.

Please could you point me to some solution or hint? Thanks a lot!

Darkbluesky, Jan 3, 2019
  4. PC freezes after login on normal mode but works fine in safe boot.

PC stuck in Safe mode, unable to boot to Normal mode.

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this.

I appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down the issue and to provide you better assistance.

• What error do you get when you try to boot in normal mode?
    • Did you entered Safe mode through Windows Recovery Environment or through System Config?

I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it works:

• Press Windows key + R and type msconfig and hit enter.
    • On the General tab, tap or click the Normal Startup option.
    • On the Boot tab, uncheck all the option under Safe mode.
    • Tap or click OK, when you are prompted to restart the computer, tap or click Restart.

Please post back with the results and the information asked, we will be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Jan 3, 2019
Thema:

PC freezes after login on normal mode but works fine in safe boot.

1. PC freezes after login on normal mode but works fine in safe boot. - Similar Threads - freezes login normal

2. PC will work fine in safe mode, but shuts off and restarts in normal mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC will work fine in safe mode, but shuts off and restarts in normal mode: This has gone on for almost a week. I was watching something on YouTube when my PC randomly shut off and restarted. Once I got onto the screen to sign in, I entered my PIN, and as it started signing me in, it does it all over again: shuts off, restarts. It kept doing this. I...
  3. PC will work fine in safe mode, but shuts off and restarts in normal mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC will work fine in safe mode, but shuts off and restarts in normal mode: This has gone on for almost a week. I was watching something on YouTube when my PC randomly shut off and restarted. Once I got onto the screen to sign in, I entered my PIN, and as it started signing me in, it does it all over again: shuts off, restarts. It kept doing this. I...
  4. PC runs perfectly during normal boot. Freezes in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC runs perfectly during normal boot. Freezes in safe mode.: I’m running Windows 11 home. Lately my main monitor I have two. An Asus 4K monitor and a Wacom Cintiq. Asus is main has randomly been going black for 2-5 seconds before coming back on. It happens ~2-3 times per day. I recently updated my gpu to an RTX Strix 4090 and had done...
  5. Laptop freezes on login screen but works fine in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop freezes on login screen but works fine in safe mode.: Problem:I have an HP 15-eq laptop. It suddenly crashed while I was working and now when I try to boot, it reaches the login screen but if move the cursor, the screen freezes and turns black and the laptop stops responding.Steps taken so far:Startup repair from winRE. It said...
  6. Laptop freezes on login screen but works fine in safe mode.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop freezes on login screen but works fine in safe mode.: Problem:I have an HP 15-eq laptop. It suddenly crashed while I was working and now when I try to boot, it reaches the login screen but if move the cursor, the screen freezes and turns black and the laptop stops responding.Steps taken so far:Startup repair from winRE. It said...
  7. Laptop freezes on login screen but works fine in safe mode.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. PC working in safe mode but not normal

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC working in safe mode but not normal: Hello everyone. So, my problem started like 2 weeks ago. While watching a youtube video my pc crashed and shut down, i try to boot it up and nothing. I open it up and remove all the cabels and put it back in and it was working normally for 3,4 days, after that it would...
  9. PC freeze within 30sec of boot, works fine in safe mode

in Windows 10 Support
    PC freeze within 30sec of boot, works fine in safe mode: Hi there, Having an issue with my Laptop, running win 10 pro. Freezing in less than 30 secs of boot normal boot.Safe mode works fine where I have tried to run sfc now issue found. So here is a quick list of what I have so far tried Boot to safe mode sfc /scannow no...
  10. Freezes in login screen of Safe Mode. Works ok in normal mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Freezes in login screen of Safe Mode. Works ok in normal mode: Hi I have this problem and do not know how to solve it. For some time and up to now I can’t enter in Safe Mode. I can login normally in normal mode, but when I restart and boot in Safe Mode (safe mode, safe mode with networking, or safe mode with command prompt, it is the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Freezes in normal mode and works in safe mode

2. windows works fine in safe mode but freezes normally

3. windows freezes when login normal mode

4. computer runs fine in safe mode freezes after 30 seconds in normal,
  5. tablet works fine on safe mode but freezes on regular mode,
  6. user freezes and the admin works fine