Windows 10: PC freezes after screen turns off and/or PC not sleeping

Discus and support PC freezes after screen turns off and/or PC not sleeping in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am posting this to help people that are having sleep/wake issues. I had the following cases when I returned to my laptop after a period of time: 1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by SteveMicro, Apr 18, 2020.

1. PC freezes after screen turns off and/or PC not sleeping

I am posting this to help people that are having sleep/wake issues. I had the following cases when I returned to my laptop after a period of time:

1 Power lamp is blinking. This tells me the PC went to sleep properly and it always wakes up properly.

2 Power lamp is lit but not blinking, screen is off, but the laptop wakes. This tells me the screen turned off, but the PC never went to sleep. I can live with this once in awhile.

3 The bad one: the light is lit but not blinking, the screen is off but the laptop does not wake. This requires a hard shut down and is not a good scenario. I tried to selectively disable services and start up programs to find the offending process, but unexpected things kept happening. Just when I thought I found the offending process, it would happen again. The problem could be intermittent or caused when you leave a certain app open.

First, always update all drivers and BIOS. The following are further things I did that helped me.

1 What seems to have prevented freezes after screen auto shut down was runningpowercfg -restoredefaultschemes from an elevated command prompt. I have had no crashes since.

2 For the laptop not going to sleep some time after the screen turns off, I suggest deleting every app on your PC that you don't need. I saw an app called Dolby Access, which either came with the laptop or installed itself. I launched it and it really does not enhance my sound in any way, but just asks me to pay for a surround sound enhancement. I deleted that app and the laptop immediately started to sleep more when before it mainly wouldn't.

3 I have had a habit of keeping many tabs open in my browser for later reference. I closed many of those and bookmarked them and that has helped the laptop to actually go to sleep almost always.

Hope this helps someone.

:)

SteveMicro, Apr 18, 2020

2. PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Apr 18, 2020
  3. My pc is going to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity

Hi Sebastian,

Your PC might be set to sleep once it is idle for 5mins. For you to adjust this setting, we suggest looking into the
    Power Options advanced settings. Follow these steps:

• Open Control Panel and click on Power Options.
    • On your Preferred plans, click Change plan settings.
    • Click Change advanced power settings.
    • Expand Sleep and System unattended sleep timeout.
    • Set how many minutes you want your system to be left idle before it goes to sleep.

Let us know how it turns out.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Apr 18, 2020
  4. PC freezes after screen turns off and/or PC not sleeping

PC gets "stuck" in sleep mode

Hello,

There are many ways to shut down your PC, you can turn the PC off completely, you can make it sleep, or you can hibernate the PC.

Sleep Mode uses very little power, your PC starts up faster, and you’re instantly back to where you left off. You don’t have to worry that you'll lose your work because of your battery draining, because Windows automatically saves all
    your work and turns off the PC if the battery is too low.

We would suggest that you follow the troubleshooting on this link to Shut down, sleep, or hibernate your PC. Scroll down and check under
    "To make your PC sleep" troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue.

We'll be looking forward for your update.

Haidae Tam, Apr 18, 2020
Thema:

PC freezes after screen turns off and/or PC not sleeping

1. PC freezes after screen turns off and/or PC not sleeping - Similar Threads - freezes screen turns

2. PC freezes and the screen turns off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC freezes and the screen turns off: In the past couple of months my pc has been freezing and the screen turning off at seemingly random times, it even happened again while I was writing this question. When it happens I'm usually playing games, even games with low system requirements but then all of a sudden the...
  3. PC freezes and the screen turns off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC freezes and the screen turns off: In the past couple of months my pc has been freezing and the screen turning off at seemingly random times, it even happened again while I was writing this question. When it happens I'm usually playing games, even games with low system requirements but then all of a sudden the...
  4. My PC wont go to sleep or turn off the screen.

My PC wont go to sleep or turn off the screen.: Hey community,some days ago I set up my PC in my new apartment and was trying to get him to go to sleep automatically or turn the screen off, or display a screensaver. None of these worked out. I changed the power plan to allow the PC to go to sleep when sharing media because...
  5. Pc screen sometimes works then turns off, then the whole PC crashes, or the screen freezes...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc screen sometimes works then turns off, then the whole PC crashes, or the screen freezes...: Exactly what I said up there ^ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-screen-sometimes-works-then-turns-off-then-the/f409a7c3-20a3-48aa-8685-049688a0eeef
  6. Pc screen sometimes works then turns off, then the whole PC crashes, or the screen freezes...

Pc screen sometimes works then turns off, then the whole PC crashes, or the screen freezes...: Exactly what I said up there ^ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-screen-sometimes-works-then-turns-off-then-the/f409a7c3-20a3-48aa-8685-049688a0eeef
  7. pc freezes and everything turns off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc freezes and everything turns off: Last year during Christmas i got a new pre built nzxt computer and a few months later i got a app called wall paper engine off of steam and then after that every time I try loading into a game my screen freezes and my keyboard and mic sometimes mouse turns off but the pc...
  8. pc freezes and everything turns off

pc freezes and everything turns off: Last year during Christmas i got a new pre built nzxt computer and a few months later i got a app called wall paper engine off of steam and then after that every time I try loading into a game my screen freezes and my keyboard and mic sometimes mouse turns off but the pc...
  9. After Update, PC Will Not Sleep or Turn Off Display

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    After Update, PC Will Not Sleep or Turn Off Display: I have tried everything I can find for a solution, but after the recent update, my PC no longer goes to sleep or turns off the display. If I manually do it, it stays asleep, but the timers do not work. My powercfg -requests shows None for all categories. I've reset the...
  10. PC freezing and monitor turning off

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PC freezing and monitor turning off: Sometimes at random my PC freezes, and then about 10 seconds later the monitor turns off. It often isn't under much pressure (about 5 browser tabs and a text editor), it hasn't happened while gaming. The only way to recover it is to press the reset button, and it reboots and...